ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu May 06, 2021 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anybody using Wolf 209 Primers?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:38 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have a couple thousand Wolf 209 primers I picked up a few years ago and was wondering if anyone here had any experiance with loading them. I currently use Winchester primers and I am very happy with them, but I would like to use the Wolfs.

Post subject: Re: Anybody using Wolf 209 Primers?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:46 pm 
Presentation Grade

Sometimes you get what you pay for......this is one of those times.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:16 pm 
Crown Grade

There is no published data for Wolf primers. Both Alliant and Hodgdon have tested them and found them too erratic and inconsistent to stake their reputations on.

When asked how can they be used, the techs will tell you to treat them as Fed209A's (the hottest of the hot). Sounds straightforward enough, except the Wolf is supposed to be medium strength. I consider that advice a warning. What they're telling you is the brisance level is all over the spectrum.

Not very reassuring, at least to me. So to answer your question, no I don't use them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have used them for 4 years and never had any problems. I load only 1150 to 1250 fps practice loads and they have preformed well.

Know Guns --- Know Peace --- Know Safety
No Guns --- No Peace --- No Safety

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:35 pm 
Diamond Grade

I've used 5000 of them in moderate target loads with complete satisfaction even in our cold cny winters.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:55 pm 
Crown Grade

One of the very best uses of the Wolf primer is to give them to someone who shoots a 209 primed in-line black powder gun. If you shot one of those or know someone who does then you are good-to-go. I would not use them in any of my reloads.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:08 pm 
Field Grade

I have used them in 12 & 20 gauge loads with excellent results. I have never had any reasopn to doubt their quality, and I do not perceive any difference between them and the Remington/Winchester brands. I use them entirely interchangeably, but I do not use maximum loads either. I will not buy Remington or Winchester primers as the price is so far out of line it isn't funny. I use Fiochi, Cheddite, Rio, and Wolf only.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:17 pm 
Diamond Grade

So far it seems to be either lovem or hatem with no in betweens.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:37 pm 
Crown Grade

If you're loading lighter loads (7/8 and under) I don't think you'll have a problem. I would use them in 12 gauge only though. And definitely not in 1/18 loads. FWIW

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:21 am 
Field Grade

I bought a case to try when everything else was out of stock or way over priced.

My regular primer in 12ga is Fed 209A and Win 209 in subgage.

In the 12 the Wolf is not nearly as hot and made my loads way softer shooting and temp sensitive when cold with ONLY the primer change, I shoot a pretty low pressure round .

In the subgage I have had no issue and treat them as Winchesters 209. Higher pressure in these may have something to do with it. About half thru the case now.

That being said they are larger in Diameter so if you want to switch back to Win and even Fed you will have issue with loose primers and or gas leaks around the primer. Gas cutting a breech face is not for me.

Toss the hulls or stick with the Wolf till they are done.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:19 pm 
Diamond Grade

Unless they changed them wolf primers are standard size.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Skeetbender wrote:
That being said they are larger in Diameter so if you want to switch back to Win and even Fed you will have issue with loose primers and or gas leaks around the primer.

Are you thinking of NobelSports? The Wolf primers are stepped like the Winchesters and do not enlarge pockets. I went through two sleeves of them and had no leaks when repriming with American primers afterwards.

As for the OP, I used them pretty much as a substitute for Winchesters, but most of my shotgun loads are lightweight, e.g., 7/8 oz in 12, 3/4 in 20. Also, Wolf primers are about the hardest I've encountered and can be problematic with guns that have light striking firing pins.

Dan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:19 pm 
Field Grade

Nope, my Federal primers mic at .238in. and Wolf primers mic at .241in.

My new batch of Win mic at about the same as Wolf. So I will correct my statement on the new Winchesters. :oops:

I haven't used any of these yet because I just finished up my old stash from when they were still silver and copper. :oops: and don't have any more to measure.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

Don't use them they will blow you, your gun, innocent bystanders, your uncles cousin three times removed clear to smithereens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding...I've shot 15,000 of them but then again I always carry my lucky rabbits foot, a four leaf clover, and keep a horseshoe in my hip pocket when I shoot my reloads. I'm sure that is why I've not had any failures or issues with using them.

I load them like they are the hottest primer on the face of the planet.

I know, I know no published data. But just how much of that priming goodness do you think they can pack in a 209?

Oh I forgot to mention that my buddies wear flak jackets and those goggles like they used when they to tested the A-bomb when I shoot with them.......

It all good!

Kent

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:49 am 
Diamond Grade

Around 15k to date. Zero FTFire, perfs. They are the smallest (ie., closest to domestic dim) of the import primers I've tried. Switching back to a 209A or W209 may or may not result in a little bit of carbon around the seat - depends on the hull.

Like Kent, I assume they are like a 209A. I do not load them for anything close to max.

Cups are indeed "hard", yet have not had misfires related to this. They are certainly more reliable than the primers RP uses in GLs and GCs. My M-12s whack Fio 209s and Rios so hard they're apt to perf. The Wolf 209 does not perf, is now my favorite for weenies in 16 ga RGLs for M-12s.

I use them in the 12, 16, and 20. Have not tried them in .410, but others at the club have done so.

I don't carry a rabbit's foot.

Sam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:48 pm 
Field Grade

I cannot speak for Wolf shotgun primers but based on how they perform in my pistols, I have no problems with them at all. If your interested, Powder Valley has Wolf shotgun primers for 20.00 a thousand. If I didn't want to pay the hazmat fee, I would buy a bunch.

Also, Wolf primers are going to be replaced by Tula, the shotgun primers is all that Powder Valley has left.