ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ponsness Warren Mult-O-Matic 600 (Attention Dano)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:36 pm 
Field Grade

Doing some research on the PW 600. I've read that some of the tooling on the 600 press can be used on the 375 DUO Matic press? If this is true. Is the tooling head the same head for the 600 and the 375? From pics I've seen the tooling head on the 600 appears to look just like the 375 from the underneath side. Thanks for the help!

Post subject: Re: Ponsness Warren Mult-O-Matic 600 (Attention Dano)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:11 pm 
Crown Grade

Please tell me that your not trying to buy a pw600!!!!

The reloaded is over 40 years old, and even finding used replacement parts for them dried up decades ago.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:20 pm 
Crown Grade

My father-in-law loads on a 600 mult-o-matic. I never have looked it over too closely so I am not sure what can't be replaced.

One of Many

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:37 pm 
Crown Grade

A pw600 in action,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiRUqQlEfLw

And its not a mater tearing down the machine to replace parts if something goes bad, but even finding used replacement parts to repair it instead.

PW just stop making replacement parts for them when the discontinued the machine, and the bone yards of the old 600 machines in shops have long been picked clean of the parts the commonly needed to be replaced through wear or breakage.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:48 pm 
Crown Grade

I know he has had to make a few parts here and there himself. I'd be curious if the tooling is common with the 375 though. Seems to me I've heard yes and no, but I've never looked at it myself.

I keep thinking I need to score a 375 one of these days. Seems like when I have cash - I can't find one. And when I find one, I don't have cash. OTOH, I have 600jr 12 ga. I keep around just in case - that hasn't loaded but one box of shells in about the last 20 years, so I probably don't really need a 375 for anything :-)

One of Many

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:43 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

John H wrote:
I know he has had to make a few parts here and there himself. I'd be curious if the tooling is common with the 375 though. Seems to me I've heard yes and no, but I've never looked at it myself.

I keep thinking I need to score a 375 one of these days. Seems like when I have cash - I can't find one. And when I find one, I don't have cash. OTOH, I have 600jr 12 ga. I keep around just in case - that hasn't loaded but one box of shells in about the last 20 years, so I probably don't really need a 375 for anything :-)

Seldom in this space is there a question of "need." Usually it's a question of "like to have."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:42 am 
Field Grade

Dano523 wrote:
Please tell me that your not trying to buy a pw600!!!!

The reloaded is over 40 years old, and even finding used replacement parts for them dried up decades ago.

There was a tooling head with 410 tooling for sale recently that was pretty cheap. I was wondering if the head was the same as the 375. Called Bruce at PW and he wasn't very open with info. It was a good buy if I could of used the tooling in my 375. Thanks Jerry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:05 pm 
Crown Grade

I bought a multi matic 600 years ago in 12ga,along with the 20 ga conversion kit,it didn't have the optional primer feeder,with it,but it had extra parts.It was by far the hardest reloader I had ever
trouble shot,to get it to work.It has a unique slip clutch type arrangement,that will slip and not index
the machine when pulling the handle,if everything is not right.this will drive you right up the banana
tree!Once this is in sink,it allows a little spring loader fork to grab the base plate and index the base plate to the next sta,similar to the Hornady 366 index type system.You can remove the dies by taking a
small plate off under the index collar and the dies will come out,as you index the machine.It is not one
loader for the mechanically challenged,period and forget about part replacement,as was stated.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:03 pm 
Field Grade

I don't want to buy or are looking at a PW 600.

Just looking for information.

Will the tooling from a 600 fit a 375? If anybody has that information it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jerry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:16 pm 
Crown Grade

There was a poster in 2009 looking for additional tooling for a 600. He was wanting to know if he could use 375 tooling on his 600. Jim Cunningham answered an email I sent him asking the question. This is Jims response:

"There are 10 stations on the 600 machines, there are 5 stations on the 375, the individual tools might/probably will work at the appropriate station but he will need a lot of extra parts and 9 more die's at the new retail price of about $20.00 each. I'd sugest that he get a used 800/900 machine, it would be cheaper and better."

It sounds like you probably could cannibalize a 600 for 375 tooling.

Jim Cunningham is a PW distributor, his website is http://www.jimsearneye.com

One thing to keep in mind - I have a copy of a packing list dated 1967 that lists the sale of an 800B loader s/n 7xx. So by 1967 the 600's were done (I think) - I also have a copy of a 1969 price list - there is no mention of the 600. The things are 45 years or more out of production. There just aren't a lot of folks around that know much about them. The 375 is on the price list for 1969 - possibly a bit of a leap of faith - but I would not be surprised if the 600 tooling worked on the 375.

One of Many

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:19 pm 
Field Grade

John thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:01 am 
Crown Grade

It might have been out of production in the late 60's,but I remember there was a sales receipt for the
600 that I had and it was from around 1972,the person that I purchased it from also had an 800B
reloader and lots of other stuff "bulk purchase",this 600 also had a double wad seating station,which
I can assume was made to enable card wads to be seated,it also had the swing out wad guide,like the
375 had.The powder and shot charging collar was made of plastic,which was prone to breakage.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:30 am 
Utility Grade

Bustsducks wrote:
Doing some research on the PW 600. I've read that some of the tooling on the 600 press can be used on the 375 DUO Matic press? If this is true. Is the tooling head the same head for the 600 and the 375? From pics I've seen the tooling head on the 600 appears to look just like the 375 from the underneath side. Thanks for the help!

Bringing this thread from a deep sleep, but wanted to add to the discussion because I’ve thought utilizing presses for parts, etc. I don’t think the heads will interchange due to the locations of the holes for the bushings. A 375 has head room for two sets of dies, and is symmetrical. I don’t think the 600 head is symmetrical because powder drop is station 3 (if you consider resize station 1) and shot drop station 6. My guess is the heads are dimensionally equal, but have holes drilled differently.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:57 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have a junk PW 600. Lot of the parts fit my PW 375 machines. Dies, pre crimp & crimp. Knock out punch shot & powder tubes and probably more. Main rods the press operates on and the Operating lever also the same. None of the primer station parts interchange.

The tool head is similar and may interchange can’t say for sure. More holes, some may have the same position as a 375 or may not.

I used the 600 for while, came to me free and operating. . It’s not a great design lot of shortcomings.

Bass

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:21 am 
Utility Grade

Bass3 wrote:
I have a junk PW 600. Lot of the parts fit my PW 375 machines. Dies, pre crimp & crimp. Knock out punch shot & powder tubes and probably more. Main rods the press operates on and the Operating lever also the same. None of the primer station parts interchange.

The tool head is similar and may interchange can’t say for sure. More holes, some may have the same position as a 375 or may not.

I used the 600 for while, came to me free and operating. . It’s not a great design lot of shortcomings.

Bass

That’s a good point, even though the tool head from a 600 isn’t symmetrical, it might be able to support one set of dies (assuming the dimensions are the same) for use on a 375. Although I am certain that the reverse isn’t true. A 375 head won’t work on a 600.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:24 am 
Presentation Grade

I could pull the head on one of my two 375 machines and compare to the 600 head in the junk box if it was important to somebody. Otherwise Reversing the heads & switching gages soon will check it then

Note PW tooling, crimper & the like., have two Different Diameter shafts 3/4 & a bit larger.. Very little difference and I think there is enough metal in the 3/4 to open up.

If somebody really wanted to tinker a head could be made out of thick aluminum stock. PW head is cast. New Aluminum blank probably cost more than the part from PW

Bass