ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The 20 gauge 3/4 oz Thread of Justice
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

I like Mark = oregunner's remark;
After my 62 years of hardcore clay shooting and bird-duck-goose-wabbit hunting, I have learned a lot but it's all condensed into a sum total of past, present, & future cliche's.

See the bird, shoot the bird!

For the longest time, I was enthralled, nay consumed with trying to perfect my loads, trying to perfect my shooting skills before I even got to the club so I kept shooting light-heartedly. Today I walk on the sunny side of the street because I don't shoot registered targets anymore.

In the past, I got very frustrated trying to break them all, be better than the rest, but it all came down to another well-known cliche'. If you're not having fun, why are you doing it?

If you're going to reload remember the rules, be consistent, be accurate, be safe!
If it is not a published formula by the powder manufacturer, don't mess with it!
PS: Concerning powder drop, avoid static electricity with your reloaders.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:13 pm 
Presentation Grade

In the past, I got very frustrated trying to break them all, be better than the rest, but it all came down to another well-known cliche'. If you're not having fun, why are you doing it?

That is why I quit playing golf. Now I get to break things and it makes me happy!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:01 pm 
Limited Edition

Scatergun71 wrote:
I like Mark = oregunner's remark;
After my 62 years of hardcore clay shooting and bird-duck-goose-wabbit hunting, I have learned a lot but it's all condensed into a sum total of past, present, & future cliche's.

See the bird, shoot the bird!

For the longest time, I was enthralled, nay consumed with trying to perfect my loads, trying to perfect my shooting skills before I even got to the club so I kept shooting light-heartedly. Today I walk on the sunny side of the street because I don't shoot registered targets anymore.

If you're going to reload remember the rules, be consistent, be accurate, be safe!
If it is not a published formula by the powder manufacturer, don't mess with it!
PS: Concerning powder drop, avoid static electricity with your reloaders.

We probably shot targets together or hunted close by each other during waterfowl
season but the love I have for just shooting (all these years) continues to run through
my veins . I guess it's all the friends I have met in different places , I wouldn't trade
them for anything as the laughter and friendly faces is just to dang hard to replace !

What ever I do , I do to win but even with a sub-par day it only takes a smile to
keep me going for another day .......Here's a :lol: for You as I hope it works ?

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 4:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

Needless to say this thread is an education in it's self. :)

My 20 gauge stash of 20 gauge hulls consist of Win AA hulls, and a boatload of Active hulls that are in new, never fired condition both in 2 3/4 and 3". Not sure what I need the 3" for around here, but I got'em :) these Active hulls were almost free and being the tighwad I am I just couldn't turn them down. The ones I have loaded seem to be just fine. Yes, these were obtained years ago before they went under. A local dealer had them and just wanted them out of the store. :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

My 12 year old son shoots in his Browning Citori CXS Micro:
- Rem GC hull (or AA or Rem. C&F)
- Winchester 209 primer
- 14.4 gr Alliant 20/28
- Claybuster CB 1075-20 wad
- 3/4 oz reclaimed shot

It's a great super clean load!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My 12 year old appreciated the gun club 3/4 ounce with green dot and CB wads with win primers. He shoots a tri star semi and I was pleased to see it still cycles. In fact, it doesn't throw them very far so its easy to pick up. a small difference from the 1 ounce loads we were shooting but every bit helps.
also nice he enjoys reloading with dad.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:58 pm 
Diamond Grade

I'm still using 12gn of red Dot and promo in 20ga for both 3/4 and 7/8oz ....burns super clean and works great in the winter up here in NY

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:20 pm 
Field Grade

DuckManEvs wrote:
I'm still using 12gn of red Dot and promo in 20ga for both 3/4 and 7/8oz ....burns super clean and works great in the winter up here in NY
What hull and primer?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:32 pm 
Diamond Grade

Rem hulls...gunclubs, clay and field etc... cheddite primers

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:38 pm 
Diamond Grade

With 12gn and 7/8oz they are soft shooting loads... velocities seem slower than factory 1200-1225fps loads but they break Clay's well on the skeet field

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 8:23 pm 
Field Grade

I'd like to express my thanks to all who have contributed to this thread, it has been a great help in the search for a softer shooting load for the wife,,,,,.

Federal Top Guns
W209
14.0 grains Unique
CB-1078-20; zero wad pressure
1-28ga 5/16 fiber wad (in the shot cup); [11 grains]
Lee 3.4 CC dipper, #8; [316 grains]
perfect crimps
1100fps ~

Just short of 100% reliable cycling in the wifes SA, but very comfortable in our doubles.