ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spreader and wads?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:24 am 
Field Grade

Reading about spreaders for my vintage SxS [ Im/ F ]. Can I just add the spreader into my WAA12 or do I need a different wad

Post subject: Re: Spreader and wads?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:56 am 
Crown Grade

Spreaders weigh less than the shot they displace, so I just use the normal recipe.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:28 am 
Crown Grade

Use the SPRED-R wad on top of the shot, but load 1/8 oz. less shot than the recipe calls for to make up for the volume of the SPRED-R wad. That way you don't have crimp problems or shells buckling.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:52 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I confess ignorance. I do not know what a "spreader load" is. I been reloading for 12 years and still do not know. Can someone explain? Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:03 am 
Diamond Grade

BobK wrote:
Use the SPRED-R wad on top of the shot, but load 1/8 oz. less shot than the recipe calls for to make up for the volume of the SPRED-R wad. That way you don't have crimp problems or shells buckling.

Basically this. ^^^

I normally load 1oz but got the 1-1/8oz wads for Spred-R loads. Everything else is exactly the same.

Same for 20ga...1oz wad instead of 7/8oz wad is the only change.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:49 am 
Diamond Grade

I have a bag of these, might not be 250 but close. I will send a picture to your email if you are interested in how full the bag is. They are yours if you want to pay shipping in a USPS flat rate box.
Shipping will be $15.05 in a medium box.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Scatt ... o/020SCAT/

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:57 am 
Field Grade

YevetS wrote:
I have a bag of these, might not be 250 but close. I will send a picture to your email if you are interested in how full the bag is. They are yours if you want to pay shipping in a USPS flat rate box.
Shipping will be $15.05 in a medium box.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Scatt ... o/020SCAT/

Steve

Thanks for the offer, still educating my self on the the hole thing. Not sure it's something I want to do. Thanks again Steve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:12 am 
Crown Grade

The insert I used for my 20 gauge was like a thumbtack you place on top of the shot. Another method involves an actual wad that looks like a "X" when viewed from above. My thumbtacks did open the pattern up. but I wasn't getting a skeet pattern from a full choke either.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:14 am 
Diamond Grade

To realize the utmost from polywad discs, place 1/16 or 1/8 oz. of shot ON TOP of the disc before crimping.

It's time consuming but worth the confidence and pattern improvement it provides. There is the possiblity of a hole in the center of the pattern without putting the added shot on top.

There's a detailed account of this method on 16guage.com with pattern photos. Some judicious searching should find it for you.

I don't use many spreaders, but when I'm bored and have some extra time to kill, I load a box or two and save them for the occasional "in your face" NSCA target. That way I'm not distracted by changing out a choke tube. I'm a believer in just shooting whatever tube is in your gun at those close ones anyway, but if I have a spreader in my vest, I'll use it just for an edge in aggressiveness and confidence.

Spreaders do work. They don't work miracles, but they spread. The shot on top makes them work even better.

I shoot Beretta Optima extended tubes. IC and MOD and I don't change them. As I recall, they are about .008 and .017? If faced with two real close targets, I'll slip a spreader in the MOD barrel. I don't bother with spreaders in the IC.

Does it add any x's to my score? Who knows? But I get beautiful breaks with the occasional spreader out of the MOD tube out to about at least 30 yards. Haven't used them much past 30, or patterned them in years. But the breaks are awesome up close, and more confidence building than smokeballs.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:16 am 
Crown Grade

The Polywad Sprdr plastic inserts work very well. From the test in my gun, they will open a modified choke to a weak Imp Cyl. They are also not nearly as difficult or time consuming to load as other methods I have tried such as the card board dividers. I found it interesting that the Modified choke barrel showed a greater change in choke than when I fired them in the IC barrel of the same gun. The effect on the IC barrel was not really very noticeable.

If you have a modified or tighter choke I encourage you to try them if you want a more open choke. They DO work and are easy to load.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:29 am 
Diamond Grade

It also helps a bunch to remove the petals from the wad.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:26 pm 
Crown Grade

ohio mike wrote:
It also helps a bunch to remove the petals from the wad.

All the spreaders I load are done with brush wads, which are basically a wad with a very shallow cup, and no petals.

Be aware, you'll have some lead to clean out.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:30 pm 
Presentation Grade

Unimpressed with BPI X-stream spreader results. Polywad spreader works. Spreaders work with significant choke, not so much with more open choke.
Card wad or brush wad loads open up choke performance less than you would think, in my experience.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

Perfect assessment.

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:55 am 
Crown Grade

The Polywad Spreader seems to be the spreader of choice. The only ones I have experience with are the "PC Post" wad & the old fashion method of dividing the shot column with card wads, which works but is a PIA. Depending on how much spread you want, the PC Post wad has worked well for me when I was looking for about a one choke degree of reduction. Cutting off the wad petals might give you more spread as well as more room in the hull.

wrfish: If you haven't figured it out from the context yet, a spreader load is a special load designed to disperse the shot (spread it) into a more open pattern. Special spreader wads are often used to accomplish the results.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:22 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

geometric wrote:
The Polywad Spreader seems to be the spreader of choice. The only ones I have experience with are the "PC Post" wad & the old fashion method of dividing the shot column with card wads, which works but is a PIA. Depending on how much spread you want, the PC Post wad has worked well for me when I was looking for about a one choke degree of reduction. Cutting off the wad petals might give you more spread as well as more room in the hull.

wrfish: If you haven't figured it out from the context yet, a spreader load is a special load designed to disperse the shot (spread it) into a more open pattern. Special spreader wads are often used to accomplish the results.

I got off my dead a-- and did some research. I understand its useful for fixed choke (mod or full) shotguns to shoot something similar to a skeet pattern.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:18 pm 
Crown Grade

I load BP’s X-Stream spreaders and they work well enough to shoot Skeet with my 1924 full choke 16 gauge Browning. I’ve used the Polywad shells and they were the same — except the price. $15.79/box for 2 1/2” Spred-R shells.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:19 pm 
Field Grade

Ok I received my 20ga Polywad SpredR and loaded a box for starters
I'm loading 20ga WinAA
3/4 Load
Win209 primers
CB1078 wads
15 charge
SpredR
After dropping #8 shot I removed about 1/8 oz shot (didn't measure, eye balled enough shot that would cover the spreader) inserted sprdr then added back in the 1/8 shot.
The crimps are almost perfect
Will pattern later this week

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:58 pm 
Field Grade

I play a lot with spreaders in 20 ga,(to make spreader loads for woodcock over my pointing dogs) making more than 100 shot on the pattern board, the best results i had were with euro hulls (Cheddite or Fiocchi), brush wads BW 20 with the X stream insert. the most important things is to have a high velocity, doesn't work below 1300 fps. you need 1300/1350 fps to have a good spread. i use 21,5 gr of long shot, or 20 gr. of universal. talking about 7/8 oz of # 9 shot.
Works very well on woodcock at very short distance (10 yards). no hole in the pattern. works very well with IC or Skeet choke. i have a 36 inches pattern at 15 yards.
Foulcan.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:46 pm 
Presentation Grade

I use light shot loads in my SxS guns 12 G 7/8 oz most times. Reducing shot weigh to compensate for the PolyWad would leave too few pellets. Answer is 1 oz wad then Poly & 7/8 oz shot. Or 1 1/8 oz wad Poly & 1 oz shot.

They are useful compensating for full chokes under 20 yards. Some spreaders in your can come in handy

Bass