ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Not dropping enough shot
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:16 am 
Field Grade

I have an older 600 jr 20ga. with a 302 20ga 2A charge bar. I noticed it's not dropping enough 7 1/2 shot so I cut open a factory AA 7/8 7 1/2 20ga shell. I weighed the factory shot and and my shot and found the difference is my drop is about 26 pellets light. I'm aware of cycling the machine effects drop and I do pre prime all me shells. I'm guessing the problem is the bar.
Thanks
Bill

Post subject: Re: Not dropping enough shot
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:22 am 
Utility Grade

If you intend to get 7/8 oz of 7 1/2 you will halve to ream out the bar ( I use a rat tailed file )
then remember when loading #9 your drops will be heavy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:32 am 
Crown Grade

Well, you can ream out the bar a bit but that will make it throw too many #9s. Are both your loads and the AAs weighing in at 7/8 ounce? I think most registered associations measure loads by weight and not the number of shot.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:48 am 
Diamond Grade

OldNWay wrote:
I have an older 600 jr 20ga. with a 302 20ga 2A charge bar. I noticed it's not dropping enough 7 1/2 shot so I cut open a factory AA 7/8 7 1/2 20ga shell. I weighed the factory shot and and my shot and found the difference is my drop is about 26 pellets light. I'm aware of cycling the machine effects drop and I do pre prime all me shells. I'm guessing the problem is the bar.
Thanks
Bill

I'm sure those 26 pellets will increase your kill ratio 100%. :wink: :wink:

Seriously, you didn't mention if your objective was to bring the stack height up (getting dished crimps) or you were just weighing and noticed this discrepancy. Almost all bars drop light, they are milled out with chilled shot as a standard IIRC. All of the harder shot will weigh slightly less per volume dropped from each bar.

If you are getting a good crimp, I wouldn't lose much sleep about those 26 pellets.

Just my two pesos

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:06 am 
Field Grade

Was looking at the descrepancy, was read about stack height and the wheels started turning. Just being annaul. It's possible to have too much information. Now I have to call Midway and cancel the 30278 charge bar
Thanks for all the input

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:23 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

OldNWay,

What are you looking for? Are you having fun with your friends or are you competing? Do you want a 7/8 oz. load or a 13/16 oz. load? Are your crimps concave?

For the most part if you are just having fun and the reloads are crimped OK, I wouldn't get too concerned and leave the bar as is.

If there is a problem of some sort, open up the bar.

Not saying you should do this, but years ago I got tired of light loads and concave crimps and bought Multiscale Universal Charge Bars for all of my machines. Yup, I am a PITA when it comes to my reloads. I went the reaming the MEC bar route, but that only satisfied the situation for one shot size.

YMMV.

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:47 am 
Field Grade

I just shoot for fun. My issues are I can't do anything for fun. I don't shoot well and I will obsess with it untill I have satisfie myself. That level can be above average or better or I will except I can't Excell so I move on. So I look for every advantage I can get. This probably should be moved to the physiological analyst section of the forum
Sorry for digressing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

OldNWay,

Yeah well, I have a little OCD too. Join the club!!

I shoot about 2,000 registered targets each year, most shot with my reloads. If they were light on shot I would think about it. I haven't thought about my reloads while shooting ever since I started using the Multiscale bars, that has been well over 20 years ago.

NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:06 am 
Field Grade

Thanks you gave me something else to obsess about lol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:51 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Bars are cheap. Ream one to what you want for the 7.5. Buy another for the 9 shot.

26 pellet difference in a 7/8 load sounds like a good bit light.

Of course you could just weigh your shot drop and tell if it is light or not. What the factory drops has nothing to do with it. And the shot could be different sized.

Last edited by Bill M. on Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:31 pm 
Presentation Grade

Buy yourself an adjustable charge bar and be done with it, then you can adjust for weight, shot size, or fill height whenever necessary.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

OldNWay- if you want to excel then find a good instructor/coach who will help you so you are proud of your shooting performance. Don't sweat the number of pellets. That is a distraction that will NOT help you improve.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:01 pm 
Limited Edition

You could always have your charge bar drilled out to except Mec bushings on both sides and buy more bushings to drop what ever amount of shot or powder you want. I had done that with both Progressive and single stage bars but i also had a lot of bushings to work with.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:22 pm 
Presentation Grade

The Multiscale Bars I use are so easy to setup for different Payloads and powder drops , I just
can't believe those who reload a lot , don't have one or two ? The adjustments are so refined
that you can get within 2/3 pellets of whatever weight you desire and the powder side is a
absolute "must" as far as I'm concerned !

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:02 pm 
Crown Grade

Ravenanme wrote:
The Multiscale Bars I use are so easy to setup for different Payloads and powder drops , I just can't believe those who reload a lot , don't have one or two ?

I just can't believe anyone would spend money on one. I've loaded hundreds and hundreds of thousands of shells on 4 different progressive reloaders over the last 3 decades or so and have done just fine with the bar that came with the machines. I haven't' even changed a powder bushing for at least a decade. Last powder bushing I changed was when 20/28 first came out.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:32 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

DEG,

If you only reload one load in each gauge, there probably isn't a reason to change anything.

But if you like to try different loads Multiscale bars are the way to go. It all depends on how you use your reloader.

Also, when you use #8 and larger good magnum shot, MEC bars always drop light, about 1/16 of an ounce for #7 1/2. If you are good with that, then there isn't an issue. Not everyone is. That 1/16 oz. can cause concave crimps in some loads, which again some folks don't like.

NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:31 am 
Presentation Grade

With the changing LOTS of powder , it's almost a necessity to have a way of regulating
the amount of powder for a precise load ? I assume all reloaders weigh their powder drops
or load the same size shot and density ?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There are variations in the weight of lead shot also.... Shoot reclaimed? Can change from bag to bag, re-dropped also can change. Even new shot can vary Last Lawrence I had was lighter than the re-dropped I had and also lighter than the previous bags. With the Multiscale a little twist allows the shot to be where you want it to be. The same with powder charges. I don't fuss over small variations but I load Vectan AS, Titegroup and a couple other powders. The difference in density is tremendous.... twist the knob and go to loading. Larry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:29 am 
Crown Grade

dogchaser37 wrote:
DEG,

If you only reload one load in each gauge, there probably isn't a reason to change anything.

But if you like to try different loads Multiscale bars are the way to go. It all depends on how you use your reloader.

Also, when you use #8 and larger good magnum shot, MEC bars always drop light, about 1/16 of an ounce for #7 1/2. If you are good with that, then there isn't an issue. Not everyone is. That 1/16 oz. can cause concave crimps in some loads, which again some folks don't like.

I understand all that. My comment was tongue-in-cheek make the point why most high volume reloaders do not have the need to spend extra money on an adjustable charge bar. The difference in weight of the same powder in different lots is so insignificant that I have never seen the need to change a bushing and the difference in shot weight between 7 1/2 and #9 is not worth thinking about let alone spending money to change it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:11 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

{hs#

NSCA#544066