ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cheddite primers
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:56 pm 
Presentation Grade

Noticed there was a post about Cabela's having their shot on sale. Went to their site and saw under reloading that they are now carrying Cheddite primers. The on site packaging was yellow, same Cheddites that I have been using and the price was the same as the place I normally get them, except 20 miles closer.
Went to the Cabela's that is only 4 miles from me and they were out of #8 and #9 shot, had 4,5, 6 and 71/2 so I took a bag of 7 1/2's. I would have liked the #8's.
The Cheddite primers were boxed in a purplish box and I was hoping they were not the Euro size primers. These had CX2000 on them. I called home and asked my wife to look if CX2000 was on the ones I have and they were. I asked one of the outfitters if he could measure one which he did. It was the same size as the ones I had at home. So I bought two bricks to add to what I have.

Out of curiosity, I looked at the Cheddite site and they list CX2000, CX1000 and CX50.
Does anyone know what the CX1000 and CX50's are? I think they only have shotgun primers and shotgun shells as is shown on their site.

Post subject: Re: Cheddite primers
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:11 pm 
Presentation Grade

On google type in Clerinox and came upon Cheddite Italy and on there they list what the other two primers are used for. Interesting.
http://www.chedditeitaly.com/en/innesch ... esco_sel=3

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:49 pm 
Tournament Grade

Interesting, thanks for the pics.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 2:20 am 
Crown Grade

they sell primers in different strengths so that the overall package of "primed hulls" can be directly loaded.

the cx50 and cx1000 are lower in power, but are supposed to be used where the faster burning powders are stuffed in the hull. so gives lower pressures in general but higher speed because the large powder charge.

cx1000 are predominantly a 20gauge primer, and cx50 are nearly always .410. although there are exceptions...

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:33 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I doubt that Cheddite would make special primers and then use the same product number on it. Since the box says CX2000 and so I'd guess it's just special packaging for Cabela's stores.

- Ben Franklin

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:36 am 
Presentation Grade

cookoff, I have never seen these primers offered on any reloading supply house here and was wondering if the CX1000 and CX50 are just available in Europe, and are they the Euro size of .245 or close to 6.25 mm?

Some have stated that the Cheddite primer was equivalent to the Win. 209 in brisance, and I'm taking it that they meant the CX2000.

More than a few years ago I ordered 16 ga. 2 1/2" Cheddite hulls with Cheddite primers from Grafs. Since there was no data on hulls with Cheddite primers, I de-primed and used Winchester 209's. Now there is data on using Cheddite primers in more than just Cheddite hulls. I don't know how it was back then, but on the Cheddite Italy site, they list 16 ga. hulls with the CX1000 primer. Interesting and I wonder if that is what was used back then.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 5:26 pm 
Diamond Grade

Great primer in my opinion. I started reloading them back years ago when the primer shortage came about. Have not bought a Winchester 209 Primer since. Never looked back. Have shot many 1000's never a fail to fire. Good luck and good shooting.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:22 pm 
Diamond Grade

Spankey wrote:
Great primer in my opinion. I started reloading them back years ago when the primer shortage came about. Have not bought a Winchester 209 Primer since. Never looked back. Have shot many 1000's never a fail to fire. Good luck and good shooting.

I also went to them during the shortage and I have had zero complaints. I also have not bought a win. primer since then. I recently started shooting a Citori CX and my son an older field model Citori. I regularly check for piercing and have yet to see and sign of it. They are also the same diameter of Win 209s and do not stretch primer pockets. Plus they are a direct sub for win. 209s. They simply have given me no reason to dislike them. Other than the Cheddites, I also use some Fed. 209As and have had good luck. Plus they save me .5 grains of powder per drop and help bump up my pressure in lighter loads. .5 grains/drop ain't much but it adds up.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 4:59 am 
Crown Grade

David W wrote:
cookoff, I have never seen these primers offered on any reloading supply house here and was wondering if the CX1000 and CX50 are just available in Europe, and are they the Euro size of .245 or close to 6.25 mm?

Some have stated that the Cheddite primer was equivalent to the Win. 209 in brisance, and I'm taking it that they meant the CX2000.

More than a few years ago I ordered 16 ga. 2 1/2" Cheddite hulls with Cheddite primers from Grafs. Since there was no data on hulls with Cheddite primers, I de-primed and used Winchester 209's. Now there is data on using Cheddite primers in more than just Cheddite hulls. I don't know how it was back then, but on the Cheddite Italy site, they list 16 ga. hulls with the CX1000 primer. Interesting and I wonder if that is what was used back then.

infact, cheddite themselves state....
http://www.chedditeitaly.com/en/bossoli.php

i`ve bought these, fiocchi, and randoms in a box, bought alot of them.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:10 pm 
Limited Edition

Turpentine wrote:
Spankey wrote:

I also went to them during the shortage and I have had zero complaints. I also have not bought a win. primer since then. I recently started shooting a Citori CX and my son an older field model Citori. I regularly check for piercing and have yet to see and sign of it. They are also the same diameter of Win 209s and do not stretch primer pockets. Plus they are a direct sub for win. 209s. They simply have given me no reason to dislike them. Other than the Cheddites, I also use some Fed. 209As and have had good luck. Plus they save me .5 grains of powder per drop and help bump up my pressure in lighter loads. .5 grains/drop ain't much but it adds up.

I've had the opposite experience with them. I started using Cheddites a few years ago on the advice of friends who use them, and had no problems shooting them out of my Remington 1100. They worked well, and were cheaper than the Win 209's. But I recently bought a 12 ga Citori White Lightning, and immediately had piercing problems. It may be that the firing pins on the Citori are longer than on the 1100, but I decided that discretion is the better part of valor. I sold my inventory of Cheddites, and went back to Winchester. Haven't had a problem since. I'll pay the extra few dollars/1000 for the peace of mind.