ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NEED GOOD DOVE / QUAIL LOAD RECIPIE PLEASE
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 1:42 am 
Dove/quail season is comming up here in Arizona. And now that i am getting into reloading i was hoping some of the veteran loaders might teach me a few recipies for dove / quail loads.

i am using a 12 ga with a modified choke.
i dont mind making two different kind of amos (one dove and one quail) if the results are good.

i am thinking something in the the 3 or 3 1/4 dram area with a 7/8ths load for quail
and maybe the same for dove.
but again i want to hear from all you experts.

again as always
its apreciated!

Post subject: Re: NEED GOOD DOVE / QUAIL LOAD RECIPIE PLEASE
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 12:15 pm 
Crown Grade

For both birds, 7/8 oz of #7-1/2 ought to do, since you said that you have a modified choke. If the birds are reasonably close, you might want to look at a spreader wad (try ballistic products, for one source) because a mod choke inside 25 or 30 yards will really grind 'em up.

No matter what you end up with, if you load to about 1200 fps, you'll find that it's an easy shooting load, and follow-up shots are pretty easy because of the minimal recoil. As soon as the shot charge gets heavier, or the velocity goes up, the recoil goes up - it's not a big deal at first, but if you have one of those 100 shell days, you'll notice the difference.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 7:16 pm 
Site Sponsor

Day in and day out, a good trap or skeet load (1200'/") of #8's will work very good on both. The answer is correct on choke .....an Improved cylinder would be better, but go with what you have. Use plain "Chilled" shot and your patterns will open up a little.....James

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:32 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

This is one of my loads:(before using PLEASE DOUBLE CHECK THIS DATA in the reloading manual).
AA hull
1 1/8 oz. #8 chilled shot
Winchester 209 primer
Winchester WAA12 Wad
Winchester WST powder
20.0 charge
9800psi
1200fps

I've got another one for 1 1/4 oz. but it takes Winchester 540 powder which is no longer made. Anybody have a good load for this using Winchester WSF powder? Keith

Endowment Life Member NRA, NRA Certified Firearms Instructor (Rifle,Shotgun,Handgun), Georgia Hunter Safety Instructor, Boy Scout Merit Badge Counselor (Rifle,Shotgun). MOTTO: "Molding Young Minds Is The Future" & "I'm The NRA"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 9:06 am 
Presentation Grade

Same thing I shoot clays , trap and skeet with. 1 oz of #8 or 7 1/2's , Windjammer wad, 19gns of Clays powder in a AA hull. As long as I do my part it will break targets, dove or quail just fine.

APEXDUCK

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 9:23 pm 
Utility Grade

dovehunter,
Contact Hodgdon at www.hodgdon.com
Their HS-5 and HS-6 powders are said to be identical to Winchester 540 and 571, so you can get back into the 1 1/4 oz. load you mentioned.
Give them a call to confirm this--they are great people to work with and will be more than willing to help you out.
My favorite dove load in collage was 1 3/8 oz 7 1/2 shot using Winchester 571 at 1330 fps. Thru a cylinder and skeet choke, I had a dense enough pattern for 50 yard shots.
Drano38

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 10:36 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Thanks for the info Drano38, I'll check out that web site. I loved the 540 load, and would like to keep it. Keith

Endowment Life Member NRA, NRA Certified Firearms Instructor (Rifle,Shotgun,Handgun), Georgia Hunter Safety Instructor, Boy Scout Merit Badge Counselor (Rifle,Shotgun). MOTTO: "Molding Young Minds Is The Future" & "I'm The NRA"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:15 pm 
I have busted a lot of doves, and quail in Az. Use #8 shot in any gauge. It will go completely through both birds at any range. If you use larger shot. you will just put fewer holes in them.