ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MEC powder bushings
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:29 pm 
Utility Grade

Extremely new to this. How much variation should I expect to see in my weighed powder drops when compared to the chart provided by MEC? Mine seem light consistently. I've gone up 2 sizes to get the drops I need.

Post subject: Re: Med powder bushings
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:41 pm 
Limited Edition

Are the drops consistent ?
Single stage loading? Or progressive ?
Common to be a shade on the light side.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:29 pm 
Limited Edition

I use the MEC chart and Lyman's #5 as a starting point for powder drop. Use what you find on the scale regardless of bushing #. Folks have been known to take a Dremel to a bushing to get exactly what they want although as far as powder is concerned, close is acceptable.
This ain't metallic.

tp

12/26" ATI Cavalry (hey, it shoots...usually)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:16 pm 
Limited Edition

Quote:
Mine seem light consistently. I've gone up 2 sizes to get the drops I need.

Sounds about like normal. You MUST check weights dropped as you get your loader filled with hulls and loading. The vibrations coming from operating the loader will pack powder more tightly and your weights may come up a little. But it's common to need at least next bushing bigger for powder.

Good luck, garrisonjoe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:58 am 
Diamond Grade

I usually start with a bushing one size larger than the chart recommends then weigh several charges during actual press operation. I frequently have to move up one more size.

A lot of factors can affect your powder drop weight... two guys using the same bushing in the same model reloader can get different drops. Weigh your charges regularly.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:34 am 
Crown Grade

Agree with all said.
My bushings for one powder progressive and single stage might be different. Depends on individual powder, machine, usage.

Your accurate scale is your link to your published data.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:14 am 
Limited Edition

My experience with MEC bushings is exactly like yours, I suspect it is a built in safety factor due to our legal system. Many people who use the bushings will fail to weigh powder charges even though MEC and every other manufacturer says doing so is critical.
Once I determine which bushing throws the correct weight of powder I note the number in my loading log to give me a starting point the next time I use that recipe, and good practice dictates weighing charges at least every time you open a new container of powder.

Post subject: Re: MEC powder bushings
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:09 am 
Crown Grade

I believe the charts are for single stage reloaders seeing how the bushing sits under the bottle for 4 different operations. This means the powder bottle is shaking and there for making the powder settle in the bushing giving a heavier load than a progressive press where the bushing is only momentarily under the powder bottle. So if someone is only going to publish one chart, they'll do it for the press that gives the higher powder drop. I have seen where two different drops are given, one for SS presses, and one for progressive. With a progressive it's real easy to be all over the place depending on how long you pause with the handle down. keeping the bushing under the powder bottle. Years back I was reloading with a Mec 650 and was seeing how fast I could go. I got pretty fast BUT shooting skeet one day I had lots of bloopers. You could see the shot go out the barrel for 20 feet or so. At first I blamed my grand daughter, who helped me at times. But visiting a friend who was running his 9000H I noticed how he kept the bar over for a couple of seconds. My fault, not the grand daughters. I slowed down a bit and no more bloopers.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:29 pm 
Limited Edition

I believe that all of the Mec bushings weigh lite for liability reasons thankfully that is what a good scale is for.You can figure on at least 1to2 bushings over what is called for.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:19 am 
Tournament Grade

Here are some of MY results using Red Dot and MY machine. Please do your own testing before you load ammo. DO NOT load based off of the below information.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

All my loaders are MEC. As a routine, I always go up two bushings from the chart. Usually works. But always verify any drops with a scale.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:58 pm 
Presentation Grade

All of the above is good info. Over the years I have collected quite a few bushings and have several duplicates. When I start with a different powder I will start with the recommended bushing and weigh the drops and change bushings (usually up) until I find one that drops a little more than my target. Then I use strips of aluminum tape (used in HVAC ducting) to reduce the bushing to a size that drops what I want. Once I have that, I stick the adjusted bushing in a zip top plastic bag with a note about the drop and tape it to the side of the powder jug. That way there is no question of what bushing to use when I come back to that powder/load. Some here will say that is way too fiddly but what can I say - I'm an engineer by training. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

Worth finding and reading -

Real-world reloading and its implications

by Neil Winston

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:35 pm 
Diamond Grade

Having adjustable powder and shot cavities solves all the issues...

In two of my three single-stage MECs I have a Universal Charge Bar. They discontinued the darn things before I picked up another single-stage version and one for my progressive.

Used ones are selling for well North of $100 these days!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:54 am 
Tournament Grade

J.Fred_Muggs wrote:
Worth finding and reading -

Real-world reloading and its implications

by Neil Winston

^^^^To greatly simplify your bushing use^^^^

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:28 pm 
Utility Grade

mark-60 wrote:
Here are some of MY results using Red Dot and MY machine. Please do your own testing before you load ammo. DO NOT load based off of the below information.

This is amazing work! My inner scientist is intrigued! Thank you so much! I fully understand this is an observation specific to you situation. Cool nonetheless!