ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fiocchi Shotshell Hulls
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:29 pm 
Field Grade

Are they any good? Saw the advertised and was just wondering if anyone on here has used them? Something to stay away from? Any safety concerns?

Ad says "new primed".

Rick

Post subject: Re: Fiocchi Shotshell Hulls
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:51 pm 
Crown Grade

Just another euro straight wall hull. Don’t expect Gold Medal, STS, or AA life out of them. They will hold powder, wads, and shot a couple three times though.

BP

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:12 pm 
Diamond Grade

I’ve loaded a few, 2-3 times as above poster said. There are much better options.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:12 pm 
Field Grade

OK thanks

Rick

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You did not state what bore size, but the 16 ga are the worst of the worst.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

They are the most common shells used at my home club so I use a lot of them. I use Rio primers & only try to get a couple of reloads per hull. They are thin & not very durable but do fine for a few loads. I load all the straight wall, low base hulls.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:18 pm 
Limited Edition

Also in a lot of cases the std. 209 primer will fall out.........The Fiochi hull uses a larger European primer.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:11 am 
Crown Grade

You are not married to the hulls.
Fire and forget

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:22 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

^^^^^ {hs# ^^^^^

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:09 am 
Presentation Grade

I use them there ok.
I prefur the RIO hull, they load great I start with 3" hunting loads then after two reloads I cut them down to 2 3/4" hulls and shoot them three tims then in the trash.
I dont do Clay anything there only mag hunting loads .
PS work great with TPS wads and steel shot...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:12 am 
Tournament Grade

The hulls themselves are fine, you can probably get at least three loadings out of them before they start to get burned up. Of course you should be aware that you'll need straight wall wads for best performance. Also be aware that they are a little bit roomier than american tapered hulls so you might have slight stack height problems unless you use a bulky powder. For 1 oz loads Vectan AS works great. i also like the way the clear ones look. good way to visually check your work.

However, for me the issue is cost. Even on sale they seem to run around $0.10 or more. However the price of primers can be had for about $0.02 (for example recent winchester rebate). So the cost difference ends up being around $2/box to use these pre-primed fiocchi hulls. That extra $2 makes it a wash or even slightly more expensive to reload these hulls than just buying fiocchi ammo and reloading the hull.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:11 am 
Crown Grade

casonet wrote:
You did not state what bore size, but the 16 ga are the worst of the worst.

And THOSE are the only ones I use (Fiocci's LOL), but then I don't exactly shoot that 119yr old 16-gauge very much. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:24 am 
Tournament Grade

I use lots of Fiocchi hulls, probably since my grandson shot trap for the high school trap team and they got the white 2-3/4" Fiocchi shells loaded with 1-1/8 ounce of #8 shot from the local Fiocchi manufacturing plant just South of Springfield, Missouri. The grandson brought me a pick-up truck load of them since he was one of the after-shoot cleanup people. I discovered that the hulls load very easily on my antique Pacific DL-350 semi-auto progressive press, sizing well and everything fitting well and really looking good when crimped. They also shoot very well. And I can see whats in them through the white shell cases. All of them have been reloaded 5 or more times without any problems or loose primers. And my load is the book load from CLaybuster wad bag: Fiocchi 2-3/4" Hull, Winchester W209 primer, 18.0 Grains of Allient PROMO, CB6100-12 wads, 1 ounce 7 1/2 shot. This is in 12 gauge of course.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:57 pm 
Field Grade

OK, thanks guys. I saw some in a store the other days. Not familiar with the brand. To my mind wasn't a bad price considering the extra time savings one may gain. 10 bucks a bad for either 20 or 12, AA, low brass fired once. 14 bucks for the same number of new shells with primers? I bought used ones and ask about the Fiocchi ones here.

I did spend some time today reloading. 300 Blackout and 9MM........

Rick

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:32 pm 
Presentation Grade

I loaded Fiocchi 28ga hulls and was not happy with them at all. They're good for 2 loads at most, after that they begin to split at the top and the plastic begins to soften on the sides if not splitting. You may be better off to wait for a rebate from Winchester or Remington and get quality hulls.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

I load the Fiocchi 28 hulls once and toss. The plastic seems very soft and perfect crimps are difficult to achieve