ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri May 14, 2021 2:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 12 ga 2 3/ 4 " coyote load
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:53 pm 
Diamond Grade

I am interested in loading up a good 12ga 2 3 / 4 " load for some coyote hunting. I would like to shoot BB, BBB or F size pellets. I have some federal gold medal hulls to use as from what I have read has more room in them. I would like to avoid using a buffer if possible. Anybody have any experience with loading some?

Post subject: Re: 12 ga 2 3/ 4 " coyote load
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:18 pm 
Crown Grade

The 27 pellets of #4 Buckshot works - and kills 'em dead! Just pattern them to see how your gun/choke combination patterns the load!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:58 pm 
Crown Grade

Is the objective to eradicate or get some furbearers for pelt money?

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:10 pm 
Diamond Grade

oneounceload wrote:

Just puttem down!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:23 pm 
Crown Grade

.223, 6mmBR, 243 will anchor them at distance

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:35 pm 
Diamond Grade

I'm going to be hunting mostly in a wooded tract of land dense underbrush. I have a bolt action 223 if necessary

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:38 pm 
Diamond Grade

la angler wrote:
I am interested in loading up a good 12ga 2 3 / 4 " load for some coyote hunting. I would like to shoot BB, BBB or F size pellets. I have some federal gold medal hulls to use as from what I have read has more room in them. I would like to avoid using a buffer if possible. Anybody have any experience with loading some?

I'm watching this thread with interest as I've never reloaded any hunting loads with large shot or have used any buffer in reloads. Unfortunately, no one has attempted to answer the OP's question. Is Ballistic Products (?) still the place to find components and information for those kind of loads?

The Hodgdon page shows a load for #4 buck and Hodgdon HS-6.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:39 pm 
Crown Grade

#1 buck in a Remington hull, buffered, BPI buck manual.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:40 pm 
Crown Grade

la angler wrote:
oneounceload wrote:

Just puttem down!

Only GOOD coyote is a DEAD coyote!

Last edited by oyeme on Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:50 pm 
Crown Grade

Except, in a few months in certain parts of the country, they can be worth some money

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:53 pm 
Crown Grade

oneounceload wrote:
Except, in a few months in certain parts of the country, they can be worth some money

Doesn't change the fact that they are not any good even then unless dead!
LOL

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:03 am 
Crown Grade

There's something about twenty-seven .24 caliber balls in a number 4 buckshot 2 3/4" load going downrange with each trigger pull that makes it pattern better and more deadly than a 16 pellet load of number 1 buckshot.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:20 am 
Presentation Grade

DO NOT USE STEEL !!!!
The worst thing for killing coyotes is steel.
If you have to by law use bismuth or tungsten .
You will be soooo disappointed with steel you will stop trying.
That said:
LEAD "F" or #4 is as good as it gets for stopping coyotes.
"BB" tungsten , heave shot is as good but 4 times the price.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:46 am 
Crown Grade

I've never cared for buckshot for coyote hunting, the patterns are just too sparse unless ranges are close and then most anything works well. If I shoot an animal I want it dead as quickly as possible, I am not into being satisfied with getting some lead into them and letting them run off and die.

That said, the best loads I've found for a 12 ga has been using #2 lead shot followed by BB in the 3" hull. #4 Buckshot is in a tie with #4 birdshot for third and the other buckshot is way behind in fifth place. For the 2 3/4" hull I would stick with #2 shot to fill out patterns.

The heavier than lead non-toxics work well too, I would stick with #2 shot but #4 moves up to second place here. I've killed more coyotes with steel BBB and BB in non-toxics and it works well too. I have only used 3" loads as I feel the shorter shells are a little light on pellet numbers with the larger shot.

I have reloaded lead loads in the past but for the price of a bag of #2 lead shot I can usually buy at least two boxes of factory Federal Premium or Winchester Super X Double X magnums from a gun show or shops that have a miscellaneous table on which they sell odds and ends they pick up. For the relatively limited use I have for shotgun coyote loads buying old factory loads is easiest for me. I have picked up 2 2/4" loads over the years but haven't used them much. I have intentions of using them in my dad's A-5 but haven't brought myself to do so yet.

For reloads I used mostly data put out by Tom Roster years back along with what I found on a couple bottles of Winchester's Grex buffer I picked up. I have a small booklet of data from another source, maybe Precision Reloading, but I don't think I have loaded any shells using their data. Ballistic Products has a fair bit of data using buffer but I avoid their data for a few different reasons; some of which can be found on this site if one looks.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:24 pm 
Diamond Grade

i want to reload some but i have these on hand from the old days of shooting lead for geese. What chokes would be best? I have 2 boxes of #2 and 20 rounds of the duplex.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:58 pm 
Crown Grade

You have to pattern them in YOUR gun with YOUR chokes to find out which ones are best. No two guns/chokes really pattern the same way!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:43 pm 
Crown Grade

You will have to fire and pattern in your own shotgun and chokes if you want to be exact. For "good enough" I have found something between Full and Modified to work the best in the many guns I have used. If stuck between the choice of Full or Modified then I would lean slightly towards Full with the 2s and Modified for the BBx4.

Larger shot tends to need less constriction to achieve a given pattern as a very general rule. I believe there are other factors which become more influential as pellet size increases which can have an affect on constriction. This gets more into fine tuning which may or may not have much importance in your use.

Something I forgot to mention in the earlier post is I have seldom been downgraded when selling pelts when using BB or #2 shot compared to buckshot. In most cases while using buckshot the furrier would not even take the pelt unless it was stitched up. Then I took a hit on the price. With the large birdshot I have not had a lower offer unless there were some larger holes from clumped shot. Then the hide was treated as if shot with buckshot. If no large holes then I would not even have to stitch the holes unless the market was saturated and I did not want to hold the pelts until the next sale. If I had to stitch, each hole was one or two stitches while buckshot was 3 or more stitches for best prices.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:20 am 
Limited Edition

When I could use lead shot on coyotes I used the 2-3/4" Gold Medal hulls with 1-3/8 oz or 1-1/2 oz of lead BBB or lead T shot that I got from BPI.

The 2-3/4" loads of BBB and T shot will have more pellets in them than 3" number 4 buck loads have. For coyotes I would rather shoot the 2-3/4" BBB or T shot loads than 3" number 4 buck loads just because of the increased pellet counts.

When I first started calling coyotes with a shotgun it didn't take very many shots with 3" Federal #2 copper coated lead loads to find out lead #2 shot is not a very good choice for killing coyotes.

#2 lead shot will kill coyotes if you can shoot them in the head or neck at 40 yards or less but the lead BB, BBB and T shot will kill them or break them down when the shot angle is not perfect. Since coyotes can turn around and haul a$$ instantly quite often the shot angle is not a good one.

Now that I have to use lead free shot I use HW13 BB, Rem HD BB, Federal Heavyweight #2 and BB shot and TSS #2, #3 and #4 shot. The much harder and denser tungsten alloy loads out perform lead loads on coyotes by quite a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTReJsSUugY&t=167s
Check out the above video. I killed quite a few coyotes in this video with HW13 BB and Federal Heavyweight BB Coyote loads.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:48 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Welcome to the world of specialty shotshell handloading.

I would suggest getting a current (3rd edition, 2018 update) of Tom Roster's Buffered Lead & Bismuth Shotshell Reloading Manual. The data for both buffered and non-buffered loads therein is well worth the modest tariff.
The manual can be ordered on line from Precision Reloading.

I would also suggest "T" (.20") size high antimony buckshot from Ballistic Products for a balance of adequate penetration and pattern density. Indeed, if you want the very best pattern and penetration, then heat-treat the high antimony pellets at 450 degrees for one hour and water quench. These are hard!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:49 pm 
Utility Grade

The load I use in my Remington 870 Express with RemChoke Turkey tube:

HULL: Federal GM Trap 2-3/4" (8pt)

PRIMER: Winchester 209

PROPELLANT: Alliant Steel 33.0gr

WAD: B&P TUWSBL32, Supersonic Steel Shot Wad; Mica dusted

SHOT: 1-1/2 oz Remington Field grade lead BB shot

BUFFER: None

CRIMP: 8pt fold (use OS12 card if using smaller shot)

FOLD CRIMP: 8pt

NOTES: All shot & powder charges scale weighed

This load works well at 35 yards around my wife's chicken coop. Can't say much for the hides being usable though.