ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New Reloaders - make it easy on yourself
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 6:39 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi Curly,

It was more of a joke than a complaint "LOL"... And that was the only choice that I saw in the drop down.

Thanks again for the good resource.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:29 am 
Field Grade

https://reviewmunki.com/reloading-shotgun-shells-cost/
The above link is to a current article that does a very good job of showing the cost and savaings of reloading. Best article of its type I have found.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:10 am 
Diamond Grade

I see a couple of problems with the guy's article, though. One is that is he reloading 1 1/4oz of shot, although reloading 1 or 1 1/8 would decrease the cost. The other is that I can get Win AA and Rem STS (or Premier?) loads at Walmart for around $7-8/box. Estate loads can be $5-5.50/box. With the current Win and Rem rebates on their target loads that knock $2/box off the cost, then I'm down to $6/box and not $10.

From putting numbers in my spreadsheet - I only reload for 12g -, I find it's a wash on cost and maybe even marginally more expensive for me to reload compared to the ammo I can get at Walmart, but I'm just a hobby shooter than only shoots maybe 200/month at most.

Last edited by CrusherT on Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:54 pm 
Field Grade

CrusherT wrote:
From putting numbers in my spreadsheet, I find it's a wash on cost and maybe even marginally more expensive for me to reload compared to the ammo I can get at Walmart.

I just started reloading 28ga (and 12) and tried a few of these online calculators to get a better idea of the cost per box to reload.

http://ecsc-skeet.com/linked/shotshell_ ... ulator.htm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:22 am 
Diamond Grade

Well, I'll add my experience. About three years ago I decided to purchase a used reloader (MEC 600 jr). Got it on ebay and it's worked well. However, I didn't keep it simple and made it unnecessarily complicated.

The not-so-local Sportsman's Warehouse had the best availability of reloading supplies and I ended up with 1000 Rio primers as one of my first purchases before I had read up on all the ins and outs of hulls and the different primer requirements. So that led to me to start purchasing Rio ammo for a while even though I already had a small mix of Win, Rem and Fed hulls.

Then I spent an inordinate amount of time compiling a spreadsheet with a variety of loads because, well, I'm nerdy enough to get carried away with such stuff. I should have just pulled 2 or 3 and started with those. Instead of waiting until I actually needed a new powder bushing that I didn't have, I went ahead and bought three or four more just to have a more complete set of them.

I struggled with the final crimp a lot, but have managed to work that out. I tried Rio, Fed and Rem hulls trying to work things out. Not a great crimp, but the shells go bang.

Anyway, after all that, I think for my hobby shooting, I just wasted a lot of time and $$ to start with and I'll probably end up just shooting a couple of 1oz-Rem hull variations using Win primers and either Clays or Clay Dot. I bought a 1 lb bottle of e3 that I've got to "burn" through, also.

At least until I find a reason to try a new load recipe, I'll probably just stick to the OP's suggestion.

Follow-up question: So for the experienced guys, does all the reloading boil down to just finding a load with the optimal pattern at the speed you want? You could endlessly experiment, but it would seem that once you get to a good pattern, there's not much reason to try something new unless there's a potential benefit to switching to a new component - something like a new powder for better cold-weather performance or something like that.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:53 am 
Field Grade

I just purchased my first reloader, used MEC 600 Jr. and purchased supplies according to the KISS suggestions. It worked out as follows;
MEC 600 Jr. $100 + 25 dollars worth of Winchester 209 primers were thrown in.
25 lb bag of eagle magnum shot at Bass Pro = $42.00
1lb canister of Alliant Extra Lite powder Brownells = $21.99
1 bag/500 wads claybusters TGT12 Brownells = $10.99
1000 Winchester 209 primers Brownells = $33.99 added price for comparison.

Alliant Recipe for 1 oz loads goes as follows for 1,150 fps with 10,060 psi
Winchester primer; 209
tgt12 wads
15.5 gr Extra Lite powder
using Remington STS once fired hulls.

I am practically next door to Brownells so I go pick up supplies at there retail outlet and don't pay shipping or hazmat fee for the powder, just Iowa taxes.

According to one of the many reloading cost calculators it works out to $5.30/box. I like that. 1oz Remington shells are not available in my area and 1oz Winchester AA loads are $8.99/box. So I will end up with some enjoyable time reloading and more enjoyable time shooting and saving $3.60/box in the process. I call that a good deal.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:26 am 

john54 wrote:
I just purchased my first reloader, used MEC 600 Jr. and purchased supplies according to the KISS suggestions. It worked out as follows;
MEC 600 Jr. $100 + 25 dollars worth of Winchester 209 primers were thrown in.
25 lb bag of eagle magnum shot at Bass Pro = $42.00
1lb canister of Alliant Extra Lite powder Brownells = $21.99
1 bag/500 wads claybusters TGT12 Brownells = $10.99
1000 Winchester 209 primers Brownells = $33.99 added price for comparison.

Alliant Recipe for 1 oz loads goes as follows for 1,150 fps with 10,060 psi
Winchester primer; 209
tgt12 wads
15.5 gr Extra Lite powder
using Remington STS once fired hulls.

I am practically next door to Brownells so I go pick up supplies at there retail outlet and don't pay shipping or hazmat fee for the powder, just Iowa taxes.

According to one of the many reloading cost calculators it works out to $5.30/box. I like that. 1oz Remington shells are not available in my area and 1oz Winchester AA loads are $8.99/box. So I will end up with some enjoyable time reloading and more enjoyable time shooting and saving $3.60/box in the process. I call that a good deal.

It is an even better deal if you buy in larger quantity packaging.
8 lb of powder, 5K primers and 5K wads and the prices goes down somewhat.