ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Reloaders - make it easy on yourself
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:28 am 
Utility Grade

Great post. One thing I would add is buy a good scale to weigh your powder and shot drops with.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:55 am 
Crown Grade

Great Post!!!! +1 on every word that Mark and others have stated. I've been there and done that when I first started. I had several loads and now I'm down to 3 loads (1- 12ga hunting, 1 - 16ga hunting and 1 -12ga target load). No truer words have been said.

Reloading can be a nightmare when you first start out. But, I've always had great advise here (especially from Mark). So, a big thanks from me for all your help!

BTW, this post should be a sticky/pinned on this forum.It will help future new reloaders.

Best Regards!

Greg

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:55 am 
Tournament Grade

good post, good advice. The only thing I'd mention is that even though federals (federal gold medal, gold medal grand) are good hulls, they are different than the others mentioned (winchester, remington).

The federals are straight wall hulls, while winchester and remington are tapered hulls. They require different wads.

If you decide to go with federals, than you can only load for federals (well technically european hulls too, but we are trying to keep it simple).

If you decide to go with remington or winchester than you can load for either. in fact most sources (the book, online) will have recipes for both remington or winchester using the same wads.

So in the interest of keeping it simple for beginners, my advice is to stick with loading for winchester or remingtons so that you can do both. In addition, gun clubs seem to be the most popular hull you can find these days. It's pretty rare to see someone tossing federal gold medals (which are now discontinued) or gold medal grands (not as popular).

I know the OP knows this, just wanted to call it out for the new reloader.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:34 am 
Tournament Grade

Excellent post. One thing I've done to simplify and minimize inventory is to drop #9 shot altogether. Number 8 breaks skeet targets just fine. I do not reload 410, so that may well be an exception.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:33 am 
Utility Grade

I look at reloading as more then just cheap ammo, I enjoy the entire reloading process and know for a fact I turn out a better product in the end. It is how you look at it. The key however is going to be how and when you can find the components.

Back a few years ago when I was shooting ATA trap and some sporting clays I would shot every weekend. If it was a trap weekend, and most were, that is 600 rounds not counting shoot offs. I had a good friend who was in the components business and while I paid the regular price, it was much cheaper loading my own. The price quoted of $60.00 a lb of shot is staggering just to think about it. At that time I was paying $12.50 a bag for shot, so it is easy to see that prices have gone way up.

I do agree whole heartily with Steve about getting a Mec Jr. If you decided to go this route. I have at least two or three of them setting in the shop and have not used one in years. If you do consider doing this drop me a PM and I will give you one for free if you pay the shipping, so see there you have already saved the $120.00 for a press.

Check into the components and see if you can get what you need and want. Its a cool way to spend a few hours and is satisfying as well.
Best Shotshell Reloader Reviews – Things To Consider Before Buy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:11 am 
Utility Grade

I am new to shotgun reloading and have been reloading pistol calibers for some time. I have read the Lyman 5th edition and am glad i did. Very good information. I purchased a used MEC 600 jr that is very old. the gentleman originally purchased it new in 1969. While old, there are very few signs of wear and everything is tight. I have gone through and cleaned top to bottom and everything works as it should. Honestly, I had second thoughts due to the age of the press but the gentleman was a very nice guy and he was not able to shoot shotgun any more and the soft side of me bought it. In going thru the press, i have determined that the charge bar does not use bushings and in looking at the original paperwork, it looks like that was optional. the powder hole is .450" in diameter ans the shot hole is .625". He had written on the mounting board 18 1/2 gr. red dot and 1 1/8 shot with WinAA plastic hulls. Does anyone have experience with this type of bar? I think I can use the current style bar with bushings. I assume that if the charge is not what i want, i will need to get another bar. I will be using Red Dot and the recipe with the hulls, wads, and primer i will be using calls for 18gr. I pick up my powder next week and will give it a try and measure the drop. I just started with this forum and I see really good input. Thoughts anyone?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The end of the charge bar should have a single digit number on it. That is identifying the size of the holes. In the old days, you changed bars, instead of changing bushings. A new bar will fit in your press, if you want to convert to the more modern system. If the bar works for your recipe, and it sounds like it is close, you may be able to just start with that bar, until you decide to try something different.

Here is a link to a thread with the old MEC Charge Bar Guide.
https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 0&t=129375

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:31 pm 
Utility Grade

You are correct Oregunner. It is stamped with 12ga. 0

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:46 pm 
Utility Grade

Oregunner, I went back thru the original paperwork and there is a bar guide with many different bars (0 thru 15) with different powder/load variations. The powders are for very old versions of the powders and I do know that Red Dot has changed the specs. I will give it a try with the current red dot powder and see what the load measures. Thanks very much for leading me in the right direction. I may try a universal adjustable bar for grins. I have read some good and some bad about them. I am very good about checking charges etc., probably more that I need to but I do.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:06 pm 

You will soon want to buy a new bar because those old bars tend to want to cut the shot and this makes the bar movement very hirky-jerky and annoying.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:03 am 
Utility Grade

I am new to reloading and have been reading and watching youtube. I cannot express how valuable a consolidated group of knowledgeable gentleman is to me at this point. I have 4 MEC presses 2 versa mec, 1 sizemaster and one 600jr. I have 12g, 16g and 20g. I have a lyman scale and a multitude of other things. I bought some of this stuff as a lot in an estate sale. I have 2 unopened cans of Unique and one 3lb can of Alcan AL-7. I have 1100 w209 primers and 250 waa12 wads. I have 25lbs of #8 and varying amounts of #6, #4, #7 and some unknown sized lead balls. I think the owner was casting his own ball shot because I have the mold but there are no identifying marks on it. I'll research it at some point. I am not one of these guys that are looking for the hottest loads or crazy projectiles. I am getting into this purely for the enjoyment of doing it. I can remember spending hours as a child helping my uncle reload 12 duck loads. Don't get me wrong, I love to shoot and do it often but I am not trying to beat the price point on field or target loads. I want to be able to keep this tradition alive and have the satisfaction of knowing I have done my part to introduce my kids, friends and family to it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:43 am 

You may have to search hard to find recipes that use that Alcan AL-7. Not sure it would be worth loading up several batches of test loads to get tested in order to use up 3 lb. Test shots are $5 each with 5 minimum shots per test.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

Nice job dogchaser!This should be made a sticky.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:30 am 
Crown Grade

Reloading has gotten exponentially more complicated since I first started. Back then, except for a few rare exceptions & a few all metal hulls still around, all hulls were paper with brass heads. Wads were fiber or paper. Paper/ fiber wads are very forgiving when it comes to pressure. Data didn't, as a rule, specify components other than how much powder & shot to use with a certain type of powder. Plastic changed all that! Plastic wads, particularly in plastic hulls are considerably more efficient & temperamental to relatively minor changes in components. Ask me how I know! I was pretty much a typical teenager & more careful than some but nobody told me plastic wads used different data. It is a wonder Pops old LC Smith (which I inherited & still shoot) is in one piece. I also cooked up a load for 10 ga. 3.5" mag. by extrapolating data. I was sure it was perfectly safe & recoil was not at all bad but I decided to send it off for testing anyway. It came back with a note, "DON'T SHOOT THOSE SHELLS!" The pressure was almost 17,000 psi. & there was NO apparent signs of excess pressure!! I have to wonder how many people are shooting over pressure reloads & don't even know it! I have become much more cautious & critical in my old age. I want to shoot all my guns as long as I live & more important than that, I want to keep all of my appendages & my eyesight!
BTW, I rarely use charge bars for powder. Generally, I use a powder measure set with a scale or weigh each load. I reload 20, 12 & 10 ga. 2 7/8 & 3.5" shells. I am a hunter & often load just a few shells for special purposes. I also load about 4 different types of non toxic shot (but no steel) on my 4 Mec sizemasters. Rarely do I load more than a few boxes of shells at a time.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:08 pm 
Crown Grade

KaBOOM! Excellent and solid advice! Keep it stupid simple. I put countless thousands of rounds through my press and about 90% were the exact same tried and true recipe. I recommend starting with a MEC 600jr. If you like it (you will) go for the MEC Grabber. The 9000 is really nice but I can load a five gallon bucket of shells in one sitting with a Grabber. If you need more than that you have a LOT more time and money than I do. I used a Green Dot based recipe using all clone components...cause I'm cheap. Checked, double checked, triple checked that it was safe in any hull. Used almost exclusively Remington or Winchester tapered one piece hulls. Cheddite or Winchester 209 primer, WAA12 clone wad, REX II or Green Dot powder. Wimpy wimpy velocity right at 1100 or even a little under. Burns filthy. Shoots amazing. Breaks any target. Knocks down any bird (except waterfowl, whole different game). Set the press and forget it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:20 pm 
Utility Grade

New to reloading shot shells, just getting started. Have followed what Dogchaser37 had posted. Had MEC 600 Jr. and bunch of AA 12 gauge hulls given to me and want to load 1 oz. target loads using Win. 209 primers/Win wads/ Magnum shot all locally. After reviewing the Lyman 5th edition have settled on using Win WST because it shows slightly less pressure. Is this a good choice of powder? All components are local to me is the reason settling on them. Thanks for any advise on my selection.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:11 am 

Hooty wrote:
New to reloading shot shells, just getting started. Have followed what Dogchaser37 had posted. Had MEC 600 Jr. and bunch of AA 12 gauge hulls given to me and want to load 1 oz. target loads using Win. 209 primers/Win wads/ Magnum shot all locally. After reviewing the Lyman 5th edition have settled on using Win WST because it shows slightly less pressure. Is this a good choice of powder? All components are local to me is the reason settling on them. Thanks for any advise on my selection.

WST is a fine powder, but costs more than many others.Here are a few that you might find to be less expensive yet will perform every bit as well as WST. If you are using a listed recipe don't worry about the pressure. Many of us prefer to use loads that are higher in pressure than others because the performance becomes more consistent regardless of weather, also the higher pressure leads to a cleaner burn with less powder ash remaining in the gun.
Titewad
Red Dot
Clay Dot

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:12 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Determine whether you have the older compression formed AAs (CF) or the newer AAHS hulls. Hopefully, your press is adjusted for the hulls that were included. You will have to make some minor adjustments to the press if you switch to the other kind. Sounds like you are off to a good start with a fun hobby.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:04 am 
Utility Grade

Thank you for this information, I never considered the higher pressure for a more complete burn while I was researching components. As well, I did receive the compression Formed AA’s, but have some of the new AA grey hulls. Will start with the old style based on what you stated and have read before. Thank you both for your insight, have seen these other powders locally as well. Many thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:50 am 
Crown Grade

DWRSO19 wrote:
You are correct Oregunner. It is stamped with 12ga. 0

That is a 1-1/8th ounce shot bar, it throws about 18.5gr of Red Dot.

It is the bar I cut my teeth on (not literally) when dad made ME load "our" trap shooting ammo on his MEC 310.

That bar, and that load, work as perfectly with "today's" Red Dot as it ever did with Red Dot from 1960, 1970, 1980, 1990, Y2K, and so on.

People make far more hay about "powder changes" over decades than it deserves.
The people who manufacture these gunpowders do an incredible job of keeping those changes to far smaller minimums than most of us can manager to understand.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next