ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 9000G turret replacement?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:33 pm 
Utility Grade

Well, after 60,000 loaded I finally stripped out the threads on the crimp die station mounting hole on the turret. last year I replaced the crimp die plunger with the one with the longer threads but I was unable to save the threads in the turret...Even though MEC made the longer threaded plunger it is (IMHO) still too short. Anyone have a solution for replacing the threads in the turret or am I just going to have to replace it ($60.00)?

Thanks in advance,
Bill

Post subject: Re: 9000G turret replacement?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:55 pm 
Presentation Grade

I'm sure it could be done with a heli-coil insert but for all the effort involved in stripping it down to do the work, the cost of the insert, drill, and tap, in the end replacing the turret for $60 may be the smarter thing to do.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:56 pm 
Presentation Grade

icyclefar wrote:
I'm sure it could be done with a heli-coil insert but for all the effort involved in stripping it down to do the work, the cost of the insert, drill, and tap, in the end replacing the turret for $60 may be the smarter thing to do.

He's gotta tear it down anyway; might as well have a go at the heli-coil. That is, of course, if he can do it himself. Otherwise, I'd agree, just get the new turret.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:18 pm 
Crown Grade

That die head is only 1/4" thick, IMHO not enough material for any kind of thread repair device that would last. Replace the die head.
I have a used one if you are interested, I repaired the weld that cracked and painted it. The threads you wore out are perfect. MEC price $67.50 + S&H. My price $30.00 +shipping.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:28 pm 
Presentation Grade

As long as the thickness of the turret assembly is at least 1X the diameter of the thread a Heli-Coil will work. The resulting threads will be as strong if not stronger than the original.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:39 pm 
Crown Grade

icyclefar wrote:
As long as the thickness of the turret assembly is at least 1X the diameter of the thread a Heli-Coil will work. The resulting threads will be as strong if not stronger than the original.

The turret is 1/4"thick and the threads are 5/16-24. Its a bit thin IMHO.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:08 pm 
Diamond Grade

Many ways to fix it, weld it up and then grind it down and drill and tap the turret. I might try and drill out the hole to two sizes over the original tapped hole. Then use a fine thread tap and a grade 5 bolt that you have cut off a section of thread from and drilled a hole in the center for a new 5/16" threaded hole. You can stake the new bushed threaded bolt section into place so it won't turn out and don't forget the locktite. All you should need is a hacksaw, grinder/file, tap set, and a drill press.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:43 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the tips, everyone. I decided to replace the turret. Does anyone have any tips on how to do that?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:50 pm 
Crown Grade

billhd wrote:
Thanks for the tips, everyone. I decided to replace the turret. Does anyone have any tips on how to do that?

Take pictures with your cell phone !! Pay attention to the relationship between the base and the center column and the bolt that holds them together. There are 2 holes in the base and 2 holes in the column, a lot of possibilities when you put it back together. There are also 2 holes in your actuator rod but only 1 SHCS and roller. There are a few other places that have 2 grooves for "E" or "C" clips.
The actuator rod ( operates the collet closer ) is kinda tricky. It has a bend in it, it HAS to be there. It has a hook like top, that hook has to be located between the top of the die head and the cross bolt so it works correctly.
Stay organized, take a part off the press and put it in a bin.
Do not put small parts on the work bench, they will get lost. Put them in a bin.
Apply new grease as you put things back together.
If you have problems, PM me. I can walk you through it on the phone or Skype or G- Chat.
Last resort is to send it to me and I can fix it. MEC can fix it too but their labor rate is twice mine. {hs#

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:22 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I would have just used a thread reducing insert -- it won't matter if the top of insert sits a little proud. Advantage here is you won't have to remove the turret to fix it, you'll have a bit longer threaded section when you're done, and you can use metal epoxy to really secure the insert. Simple, cheap and done.

Actually, with the above solution in your pocket, you could try the heli-coil first and goto the thread reducing insert if it fails.

Finally, you could also just drill it out and go to jam nuts on BOTH sides of the spindle, and then adjust it like the shot-bar rod.

Lots of options, it isn't a precision part or decision...

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:57 am 
Utility Grade

Thank you, Steve, for the tips on installing the actuator rod on my 9000gn...I must have spent 5 hours yesterday trying to figure that one out. You're right about the complications...Your instructions solved the problem :D
Bill

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:47 pm 
Crown Grade

JacksBack wrote:
Lots of options, it isn't a precision part or decision...

Well the OP selected the RIGHT way to fix it. Most of the others were nothing more then a "band aid" that would have failed or not worked at all because of room. ( 2 jam nuts )
Too many people believe "close enough is good enough".

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:42 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Opinions are like --- nevermind.

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...