ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hydraulic Spring
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:35 pm 
Field Grade

Purchased used Mec hydraulic. Noticed some oil coming out of breather tube and thought I would unscrew the caps and replace the o-rings, but found pieces of a spring and what appeared to be a spring inside a spring.

Does anyone one the Mec part number/s for the spring?

Than you

Northbrook Sports Club

Post subject: Re: Hydraulic Spring
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Not sure you can buy the parts from MEC, unless you buy the entire cylinder.

Call MEC is the only answer.

aka Mr. Tactful.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:40 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

These used to be the numbers for a hydraulic cylinder rebuild, but no number for a spring:
MEC Hydraulic Cylinder rebuild

QTY -- Part Number -- Description
2 ----- 2020 ---- O-Ring
1 ----- 8860 ---- Seal 1" Polypack (Piston)
1 ----- 8858 ---- Seal 1/2 Polypak
1 ----- 8765 ---- O-Ring

NAHC Life Member
VA State Shooting Association Life Member
NSSA Referee
NSSA Level I Instructor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:00 am 
Diamond Grade

There is no spring in the hydraulic cylinder. It is most likely a small piece(s) from the pressure relief check value in the pump. Not hard to fix if you know your way around simple hydraulic pumps.
If not, lots of places can fix it. I would start with fork truck repair shops. All the parts for the pump and cylinder are available on the "open market", no reason to pay MEC's prices for $10.00 worth of O rings and a spring. MEC will sell you a new cylinder or pump but wont repair either.

Steve

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:24 pm 
Field Grade

Thank you for the update. Bought used but there was definitely a coiled spring of some sort in the cylinder. Have read on other threads to watch out for the spring from hell when unscrewing the end cap.

Northbrook Sports Club

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:19 am 
Diamond Grade

I have never read or heard about a "spring from hell" in the cylinder. But that does not mean it did not exist at one time. Its just very doubtful IMHO that it is a MEC part for reasons I will get into. I do know there is a "spring from hell" on all center columns of MEC "H" units. I do know that the spring on all other MEC progressives is made from .190" wire. (part #612) I think the "H" spring is .250" wire. (part #8683) Check yours to be sure you have the correct column spring.

What side of the piston head did you find the spring on?? Was it on the rod side and used to help with the down stroke or on the other side to help with the return?

Now why I dont believe the spring "IN" the cylinder is a stock part. MEC presses need a positive stop at the bottom of the stroke so we can adjust the dies and get consistent results from them when we reload. To use a spring as a positive stop you have to compress it to a point known as "coil bind". This is when all the coils are compressed tight together. This should never be done when using a spring because the spring will break.
In current MEC "H" units the piston head on the cylinder rod bottoms out on the cylinder end cap for the positive stop. Same with the up stroke,it stops against the rod end cap.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:30 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I believe that Steve Y is correct: the is no spring inside the hydraulic cylinder. It is the column spring that returns the machine to the up position.

NAHC Life Member
VA State Shooting Association Life Member
NSSA Referee
NSSA Level I Instructor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

The original poster seems pretty sure of what he’s describing.

Is it possible that his machine is an old MEC “Hydra-MEC” from the early 1970’s? Those were the old 650 progressive machines with a much more “Rube Goldberg” hydraulic system than todays 9000H that most of us are familiar with. I don’t see anything in any literature or parts manuals on the MEC site describing the Hydra-MEC, but it definitely existed!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:56 am 
Diamond Grade

Well anything is possible, but the Hydra-MEC cylinder I had on the bench did not have a spring in it.
I rebuilt it and sold it to a guy with a 9000 and it dropped right in. Converted the 650 back to a handle and sold that too.

I asked the OP a question about the location of the spring, lets see he he gets back to us.

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

Steve, if you can see this picture, and mouse over it, it will blow up to give a little closer look at the hydraulic cylinder. Is it like what you had on your bench? This appears to me to be a single acting cylinder, hydraulic down, which would mean spring tension to raise it. I've seen other ones that had the large hose at the top like this one, for power down. Then they had a tiny hose at the bottom, almost like it was a drain hose for any oil that was left on the wall of the cylinder when it went back up. Like maybe it started out as just a breather or weep hole, and to avoid the mess later on they added the drain hose.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-Print-Ad- ... 3548055436

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:50 pm 
Diamond Grade

RockyH

Yes that is a typical MEC cylinder and they have always been single acting, power down and spring return. That is why MEC always installs the heavy duty column spring on their "H" units. They now install a drain hose on the bottom of the cylinder to allow any seepage/leaks to drain off so the cylinder does not loose stroke due to oil build up on that side of the piston head.

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:17 am 
Field Grade

Spoke with MEC the other week there are 2 springs one side the other. My mec 9000 hydraulic cylinder is silver with both caps able to be unscrewed. Hope this helps others if needed.

Northbrook Sports Club