ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New to shotgun reloading, looking to load 28 gauge
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:42 pm 
Field Grade

Something that wasn’t mentioned. Loading 28 gauge will save 50-70% over the price of new shells. Twenty eight gauge and 410 is the sweet pot for savings that you don’t get with 20ga or 12ga. With careful shopping you should be able to load 28ga for about $3.50-$4.00 @ box. You’ll recover the cost of your loading press pretty quick. That MAY encourage you to took at a different progressive press than what MEC has to offer. (Nothing wrong with MEC, IMHO there are better choices out there). Although, loading 28ga can be more challenging than loading 12/20ga.. Good luck!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:40 pm 
Limited Edition

From the responses thus far you will see that 20/28 powder in a Win AAHS hull, Claybuster wad, Win 209 primer, and 3/4 oz of shot is a very popular (and effective) choice for the 28 ga. Many like Longshot powder - I have used it, and it is fine at this application. Universal is a bulkier powder than either of these. When I've used Universal in the 28 ga AAHS hull I found better hull fit with the Rem wad - which is much more expensive than the CB wad.

I have not loaded the Field and Clay 28 ga hulls, but if they're anything like the STS hulls I would be tempted to throw them away. The 28 ga STS hull has much less capacity than the AAHS hull, and very poor hull life.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:41 pm 
Diamond Grade

What MEC loader did you choose to reload the 28ga. hulls?

Just a warning: I bought a MEC 600 Jr. to reload hunting ammo for a new 28ga. SPI. Then, I decided to bring that gun to the skeet field "to get accustomed to it and break it in." Lots of rounds later, I wish I had bought a MEC progressive machine because the 28ga. is a whole lot of fun at the skeet field and it goes there often. :)

Have fun. I bet you'll find shotgun reloading to be a lot more relaxing and less demanding that metallic cartridge reloading.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

For heavy hunting loads lil gun and nickel shot go together like pb&j. I have had great results using this on woodcock grouse hubs and pheasant. You can find a load to suit your needs from 1200 to 1500 with the 7/8 ounce. I tried the ounce load and was not completely happy with it. Started then working on a 7/8 ounce load and have been running it for the last three years. I run fiocchi hulls and primers and hv28 wads lil gun powder. The archived loads in bpi’s website will give you specifics.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:23 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm on a lot of hunting forums and I must say you all are some of the most helpful group I have seen yet. Thanks to every single one of you that have taken the time to respond, it is greatly appreciated.

OldStuffer, special thanks from me and all of the past newbies who have benefited from your well thought out and detailed write up to the common "I'm new to reloading" question that I'm sure gets thrown out often. I see you are in Newton, KS...I work in Wichita and live in Oxford, KS. Small world:)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:14 am 
Crown Grade

Had to look up Oxford, not on my "beaten path", probably drove through there 30 yrs ago. LOL

Howdy Neighbor. :)

I hang on several handloading forums, on THB (The Handloader's Bench) we see typically 1 complete Noob every couple weeks, so I get these questions a LOT, and "what do I do" does not have IMO a real simple answer.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:16 pm 
Limited Edition

+1 on using “littlegun” and 7/8oz. I stay away from hot rodding and keep mine at around 1250 FPS and they work excellent on pigeons, white wings, mornings and euros. I recently shipped my grabber mec for an overhaul and what I received back is like a new machine. And they did the work in 48hrs and shipped it right back. I’ve kept their box and plan to do the same with my 45 year old 12ga mec progressive. So don’t be afraid of buying something used as it can be fixed up for the fraction of the cost of new. Trainer Hale supply close to Seguin, Texas also works on mec reloading presses and they prefer them to the high dollar options. DL

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 5:57 pm 
Diamond Grade

I just drove thru Oxford a few hours ago on my way back from picking up an order at Powder Valley outside of Winfield. Small world indeed. I load 28 gauge 3/4 oz. chilled #9 shot skeet loads with 20/28, Claybuster wads, W209 primer. I have two MEC 28 ga. loaders one 600jr. that I bought at a garage sale and a 9000 that I don't remember where it came from. Start with a single stage 600jr. or Sizemaster to learn the ropes and then if you shoot enough think about a progressive. I think I gave $70 for my 28 ga. 600 jr. and it was in great shape. 12 and 20 ga. 600's have been bought for as little as $45 -$50 which included the auto primer feeder. The high price of shot has driven the used shotgun reloading press resale way down especially on the 12 and 20 gauges (used .410 and 28ga. sell for more but still reasonable usually). Sweet shooting gauge for sure. Good luck and enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:58 am 
Utility Grade

You guys rock I am new here and within a couple of hours have learned much. I hunt almost exclusively wit a 28 gauge Remington 870 Wingmaster that I bought as a gift for myself a few years ago. I hunt Rabbits and Doves and had been buying factory ammo. Last week a friend who is an FFL licensed gun dealer called and told me of a gentleman who had some reloading equipment that he did not use anymore and asked if I would take a look at it. Ended up with a MEC Sizemaster and a 500 count bag of Claybuster WAA 28HS wads for $50.00 dollars and 20 boxes of factory 28 gauge ammo for another $100.00. The ammo was older Federal, Nobel Sport and Winchester that had been kept indoors since he bought it.His plan was to hunt once retired and reload but his health declined before that happened.Want to use the reloader and you folks answered my questions before I even asked.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:58 am 
Utility Grade

I just wanna double up on the praise for @OldStufferA5#1911 and say to gather all those answers and all that experience into a small book. Seriously. The field needs a to the point, succinct beginners guide. I'm a newbie too and in a country where hand loading shotgun shells is not a thing. If you add to that the fact that I'm going to load for a 28 gauge...

I've found so much help and generosity over at 28 gauge society as well as reading posts here. Nonetheless a compact publication would go a long way to simplify the process for someone like me and I am sure countless others. Thank you again.