ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New to shotgun reloading, looking to load 28 gauge
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:03 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the responses....the recipe for 3/4 oz using Lilgun was 23 grains and anything else was all over the place. I can certainly load down and start at 23 or 24 but as I"m such a newbie, I didn't know if this would result in problems of too low pressure.I'll probably alos back off the shot load little bit as well to maybe 7/8 or 15/16ths oz.
I don't think dropping the powder charge a bit would negatively affect pressures unless I went way too low but you guys that have been doing this for a while have a MUCH better sense of the effects of lighter vs heavier powder charge. And fear not, I haven't loaded ANY at the recipe level in my post. Trying to be really cautious as I learn the ropes.

Thanks again to all for your willingness to share you experience - I really appreciate it!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

cookoff013 wrote:
plindquist wrote:
I am also new to reloading, using a MEC 600 Jr Mark 5 and am trying to find decent 1oz loads for a 28ga. I have new Cheddite primed hulls (209 primers) and SG28II wads. I also have a bunch of used Fiocchi, Estate and Winchester hulls. I have both L'il Gun and UNiversal from Hodgdon and IMR Blue as these seemed to the most broadly applicable powders for 12, 16 and 28 ga powders.

Figured it'd be easier to load the new hulls so I went about carefully measuring weights of powder. I started with a 7/8 oz recipe from Hodgdon that called for 23.5 gr of Lil gun under the SG28II wad. When filled and crimped, I had a significant "dish" in the crimp with about 1/4 inch of empty space....not what I was expecting. I then carefully measured out a 1 oz load of #8 by weight on the scale and lo and behold, perfect shell. I suspect that 23.5 gr will be insufficient powder - I've seen a couple of postings showing 28 gr of lil gun but I don't see that recipe anywhere. FYI I have an older shotgun reloading manual that has NO 1 oz loads.

So, more than half of the posts I read say "never substitute anything in a recipe" and the remainder say "pretty well all works so long as you aren't stupid about powder loads...." or something similar. I'd really like to understand why #1 my shell, following a published recipe, was "short loaded" and what difference it would be to load a "proper 1 oz load that fits would be a problem. To be specific, I would look to load the following:

Cheddite Hulls primed with 209
SG28II wads
Lil gun at 27 - 28 grains (as appropriate for pressure)
1 oz of either #6 or #8 lead shot (the #6 is nickel plated)

As mentioned I also have both Hodgdon Universal and IMR Blue as I intend to load 16 ga and perhaps 12 and 20 ga as well. Primary reloading will be in both 28 and 16 (which are obviously very different.....). Any thought re: this same load using the Estate, Fiocchi and Winchester hulls would also be appreciated,

FYI - my 28 ga is a 1970s vintage Mujica Spanish sxs - sweet little lightweight gun and nothing fancy but it sure is fun to shoot!

One last question - when I tried reloading the used hulls, the initial stage for punching out the primer and reforming the case left a "ring" around the base of the brass on every type hull. Is my press set too low or what am I doing wrong?

Any guidance or thoughts re: the above would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps the best answer will be to purchase a new reloading manual, and if so, that'd be great but I would really appreciate hearing from those of you who have reloaded for a long time.

Thanks in advance to responders.......

Can we check that, it sounds a little "warm"

Hi,

Hodgdon lists a 1oz load with 23 to 23.5 grains LiLGun in a Fio hull with the BP HV28 wad and Cheddite or Fio primers for what it's worth.

Those who are more knowledgeable than me state that Euro Reifenhauser hulls are pretty much interchangeable if the load fits. YMMV depending on your willingness.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:35 pm 
Presentation Grade

An ounce of shot in a light 28 ga. Is not a fun gun to shoot. An ounce is more suited to 16 ga. or even 12.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hi,

Yep, not much of a fan of 1oz in my 5 3/4lbs SxS. But it's hardly a problem in my buddy's 28ga 1100. So I suspect any S/A will handle 1oz with little issue. Again, YMMV.