ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New ammo is too cheap
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:42 pm 
Crown Grade

New ammo is too cheap.

Odd, but I have a buncha left-over reloading supplies I'd like to use. Mainly I'd like to use them to reduce the clutter in my basement. Of course an added bonus is that any ammo I load with left-overs is free.

But I keep finding new ammo a prices I can't resist. Oink. I'm housebound for another four to six weeks and that would seem like a good time to reload, at least after I am capable of reaching the reloader pulling the handle.

The new ammo makes for less clutter. It stacks real nice on the shelves. It probably makes most sense to leave the new ammo there and load up the left-overs.

Post subject: Re: New ammo is too cheap
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:00 pm 
Crown Grade

I suggest you load up all your "surplus" as you are able, and then shoot it up first. I did the same thing about 3 years ago, and then quit reloading because I am only shooting 20 & 12 gauge. I also needed the storage/floor space as I don't have a big house.

Since doing that, I find it almost sinful to find a sale and order a year's worth of shells to be delivered. I stack them in a much smaller area than the reloader and supplies took and use the extra time to go shoot or whatever. It has really been quite liberating. I fully understand why some like to reload but after 50 years of doing it, I don't miss it at all.

I even sold off my centerfire rifle equipment although it is VERY cost effective to reload those. I loaded enough rifle ammo to last me the few hunting trips I figure I will still accomplish. Just keeping it simple and clutter free but that is just me. Having said that, if I shot .410, 28 gauge or much centerfire rifle, I would still be reloading.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:02 pm 
Crown Grade

Let me know when you find 410 factory for less than $3.25 a box, because that's what my reloads cost.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:43 pm 
Crown Grade

John Henry wrote:
Let me know when you find 410 factory for less than $3.25 a box, because that's what my reloads cost.

I am just curious what .410 or 28 gauge net cost would be if only using the most reloadable hulls and then selling the hulls. It is only my curiosity and as I said, if shooting much .410, 28 gauge, 16 gauge, or centerfire rifle I would still reload. I am by no means, questioning why anyone reloads. After all, I did it for many, many years.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:01 pm 
Crown Grade

I reload BECAUSE factory ammo is too cheap. The word "cheap" has two meanings.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:15 pm 
Crown Grade

Interestingly, I think ammo has gotten less expensive over the years. I still have a box of 16 gauge Winchester 1 1/8 oz of #6 shot that I bought in 1975 from Grant's, of all places. Original price was $3.27/box. That's $15.83 today with inflation. I bought the same load from Winchester today at Walmart for $9.97/box. Significantly cheaper.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:22 am 
Presentation Grade

oyeme wrote:
John Henry wrote:

I am just curious what .410 or 28 gauge net cost would be if only using the most reloadable hulls and then selling the hulls. It is only my curiosity and as I said, if shooting much .410, 28 gauge, 16 gauge, or centerfire rifle I would still reload. I am by no means, questioning why anyone reloads. After all, I did it for many, many years.

Figure $10/box new and 3-3.75 back selling empties. So $6-7 net best case scenario. Reload for upper 3s to low 4s. Reloading .410 and 28 saves around 40% over selling empties.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:34 am 
Crown Grade

Thank you for the price analysis.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:09 pm 
Limited Edition

Most of the cheap new ammo comes with FREE extra recoil.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:15 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Here is how cheap ammo works.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:41 pm 
Utility Grade

B.L.E. wrote:
I reload BECAUSE factory ammo is too cheap. The word "cheap" has two meanings.

Ditto

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:01 pm 
Diamond Grade

birdhunter39 wrote:
oyeme wrote:
John Henry wrote:

Figure $10/box new and 3-3.75 back selling empties. So $6-7 net best case scenario. Reload for upper 3s to low 4s. Reloading .410 and 28 saves around 40% over selling empties.

I sure do agree. I shoot only 3-5 boxes of 410 a year, so I don’t reload it, but buy a case ever other year when I can find on sale. On the other hand, I load 28 ga for less than half of new shells. And I shoot it much more. So, I have not fired a factory 28 ga in many years.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:50 pm 
Field Grade

See my post in the Gun Control Forum about Connecticut enacting a 35% ammo excise tax this legislative session to fight "urban gun violence". On all metallic and non-metallic ammo.

Now take that $5.00 box of Remington Gun Clubs or Winchester Super Target from Walmart and add 35% and tell me again how "cheap" factory ammo is! A $15 box of Fiocchi Golden Pheasant for $20.

I think I will reload.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:48 pm 
Crown Grade

simslax wrote:
See my post in the Gun Control Forum about Connecticut enacting a 35% ammo excise tax this legislative session to fight "urban gun violence". On all metallic and non-metallic ammo.

Has that proposal been passed by the legislature and signed by the governor?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:03 pm 
Utility Grade

simslax wrote:

Now take that $5.00 box of Remington Gun Clubs or Winchester Super Target from Walmart and add 35% and tell me again how "cheap" factory ammo is! A $15 box of Fiocchi Golden Pheasant for $20.

I think I will reload.

I know, its absolutely disgusting!