ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: International loads
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:40 pm 
Presentation Grade

I'm guessing that it's more about "perception" than action on the question of pumps. Anything that could be perceived as a non-competition clays gun is discouraged (hence pumps, slings, camo). They have similiar rules on clothing (no military or camo). Notice you very rarely see autoloaders, either.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

Olympic trap and skeet events as run by the governing body have a fairly strict dress code for competitors as well. Highly doubt any countries gun laws enter into their thinking when writing their rules.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:53 pm 
Presentation Grade

The ISSF will issue new clothing regulations after Tokyo. They've already said so. It's the ladies (as usual) who are drawing the ire of the ISSF. Supertight spankx are the culprit.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:41 am 
Tournament Grade

pintailwizard wrote:
The ISSF will issue new clothing regulations after Tokyo. They've already said so. It's the ladies (as usual) who are drawing the ire of the ISSF. Supertight spankx are the culprit.

Not interested in making it a spectator sport then. :) :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

Back to the original question; the real reason behind the higher velocities is to cause the pattern to 'bloom' or open up some in those 24 gram bunker loads. There is no question that slower velocity loads of #7.5 shot will break those targets with authority. They will. But if you do any grease plate or paper patterning, you will also see that the usable pattern diameter is smaller at 1050~1200 fps than that from the 1325~1350 fps loads w/the same amount of shot. Both high level competitors and the ammunition manufacturers are well aware of that particular phenomena and so load to the more effective velocity levels because of that. There has been at least one rather extensive article published about it in the past, [British, IIRC] but I no longer have that link to offer you. Lost it w/a 'puter crash, but what's said above was the gist of it, along w/a lot of testing data & results. I've found it to be true w/my own pattern testing and probably not using as good a quality shot as the factory loads. Just saying.

Addendum: and oyeme is also correct about [u]some[/u] shooters who are not interested in the technical aspects of the ammunition. Shooting at highest levels requires lots of practice and consistency in mind set, but you can bet they are using the best tools available to them whether they care about the nuances & minutia or not.