ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Dillon reloaders
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I do wash my truck, I do it because I like a clean truck......I do have crimps that are correct. I like nice crimps, which lead to uniform ballistics.

Choosing to do things half baked isn't in my mindset.....if it is worth doing, it is worth doing correctly.

All it takes is the ability to read directions, dexterity, elbow grease and a little pride in what you are doing.

Pretty simple.

Doing things correctly is easier in the long run than doing things half-a**ed.

aka Mr. Tactful.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I hope my physician doesn’t settle for crappy crimps

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I hope that GE-Mini-gun isn't a mechanic on the next plane I have to fly on.

aka Mr. Tactful.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:06 pm 
Limited Edition

mark-60 wrote:

I do wish it had a larger powder drop hopper. Maybe twice the size of the one currently on it. I can get just short of 200 rounds with a full bottle. I also would like to put a tube on the primer ejector. The little bucket fills up to fast.

I've also run into the base being pulled off of the Gunclub hulls. I've never had that happen on the MEC Jr.

This should solve your powder hopper issues: http://uniquetek.com/product/T1277

I have the 1.5x version. It appears they have settled on just the 2x version. Regarding ripping the head off of gun clubs at station 2, that's a Remington problem. Because of how the SL900 works at station 2 (hull is pushed up at station 2 where the case mouth is flared and powder is dropped) and the SL900 grabs the hull by the base, when pulling the hull out of the die at station 2, if the head is weakly attached to the hull, it will separate. I've seen this same problem happen with auto loaders where the head is grabbed by the extractor and ripped off the hull as its being extracted from the chamber.

The good news is that this seems to be a batch problem for Remington. I haven't had a case head separation issue for a couple years now.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

StevenZ wrote:
mark-60 wrote:

I do wish it had a larger powder drop hopper. Maybe twice the size of the one currently on it. I can get just short of 200 rounds with a full bottle. I also would like to put a tube on the primer ejector. The little bucket fills up to fast.

I've also run into the base being pulled off of the Gunclub hulls. I've never had that happen on the MEC Jr.

This should solve your powder hopper issues: http://uniquetek.com/product/T1277

I have the 1.5x version. It appears they have settled on just the 2x version. Regarding ripping the head off of gun clubs at station 2, that's a Remington problem. Because of how the SL900 works at station 2 (hull is pushed up at station 2 where the case mouth is flared and powder is dropped) and the SL900 grabs the hull by the base, when pulling the hull out of the die at station 2, if the head is weakly attached to the hull, it will separate. I've seen this same problem happen with auto loaders where the head is grabbed by the extractor and ripped off the hull as its being extracted from the chamber.

The good news is that this seems to be a batch problem for Remington. I haven't had a case head separation issue for a couple years now.

The tight fit on the hull expander was just one of the problems I had trying to load Remmy hulls. My expander was oversized (and out of spec). Dillon sent me a replacement free of charge - they even went through their stock and found me the smallest diameter they had. Still, I had to turn it down for the Remmy's.

The (well known) inconsistency in Gun Club hull length created problems at the wad guide, as there is very little clearance in that area.

W209 primers are too large for Remmy's, and would cave in the base of the hull, and/or leave the primer sitting proud. The solution to this problem was to use [expensive] Remington primers. Cheddite primers might also work, but they come with their own set of problems.

Maybe it was just negativity stemming from all the other problems trying to reload Remingtons, but the AA-HS hulls also worked much better in the hull feeder - far fewer jams.

For me, the easy thing to do was toss the Remington hulls, buy some AA-HS hulls, and get to reloading - no regrets.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:49 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I don’t understand. I have loaded thousands and thousands of Winchester 209 primers into my preferred Remington hulls with no problems whatsoever, and I will continue to do so. I will wager that thousands of reloaders do the same. Maybe a little effort to seat them the first time but that’s it. I don’t know anybody that uses Remington primers.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

casonet wrote:
I don’t understand. I have loaded thousands and thousands of Winchester 209 primers into my preferred Remington hulls with no problems whatsoever, and I will continue to do so. I will wager that thousands of reloaders do the same. Maybe a little effort to seat them the first time but that’s it. I don’t know anybody that uses Remington primers.

I don't have any issues so far with Rem hulls and Win primers. Loaded many, many, many of them that way. The only shotgun primers I've ever used are Winchesters.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:10 pm 
Field Grade

cflanon

cflanon wrote:
After loading 12ga on a MEC9000G for a number of years, I decided I needed a Dillon SL900.

Cynical personal opinion alert!!!!!:
I get the cost of research and development and overhead of operating a business, but come on..... MEC has had that amortized over a period of several decades and has had basically zero major product updates, releases, or improvements in most of that time. That being said, they are collecting a pretty good price, for what is basically a clunky, out of date organized pile of cheap stamped steel and plastic.
Cynical personal opinion alert!!!!!:

Oh my soul!

Everytime I read this part of your post I uncontrollably laugh out loud. I'm still chuckling. Thank you for the broad smile on my face.

My 3 MEC reloader resemble your remarks.

I have a 12 gauge Graber, 20 gauge Sizemaster and a .410 Mark V. I thoroughly enjoy loading with the Grabber and the Size master but the Mark V in .410 doesn't have a primer feeder which slows things down considerably. The end results with all three machines are excellent. Nice consistent crimps and easy to adjust. But they are clunky organized piles of cheap stamped steel and plastic.

Peace be with you,

Doug

NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

casonet wrote:

The Dillon doesn't seat a primer the same way the MEC does.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

mark-60 wrote:
casonet wrote:

I don't have any issues so far with Rem hulls and Win primers. Loaded many, many, many of them that way. The only shotgun primers I've ever used are Winchesters.

If your Remington hulls were loaded once before on a MEC, then you probably won't have a primer seating issue.

Try some once-fired Remington hulls and report back.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:40 pm 
Limited Edition

I've loaded more once fired Remington Gun Clubs than I can count through my Dillon and as casonet mentioned...other than some extra pressure the first time...no issues.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:02 pm 
Limited Edition

GE-Mini-gun wrote:
I've loaded more once fired Remington Gun Clubs than I can count through my Dillon and as casonet mentioned...other than some extra pressure the first time...no issues.

Correct. There is no issue loading once fired GC. Yes the first time you reload them, a little extra pressure is needed to overcome the plastic lip in the hull, but after that...no issues. The same thing happens the first time you try and reload a GC on a MEC. It's not a press issue, it's a hull issue.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

StevenZ wrote:
GE-Mini-gun wrote:

Correct. There is no issue loading once fired GC. Yes the first time you reload them, a little extra pressure is needed to overcome the plastic lip in the hull, but after that...no issues. The same thing happens the first time you try and reload a GC on a MEC. It's not a press issue, it's a hull issue.

I beg to differ. Here's a couple of photos that I took. On the Dillon, if the primer does not fit the pocket, more handle pressure only caves-in the base - that displaces the plastic, and a tight expander finishes the whole mess.

The same things happened with GC's, Nitros, STS, Blue Magics - in my experience, it was not limited to Gun Clubs. If I did get past the primer issue, the GC hull length became an issue..

It doesn't take many of these cluster-f**** to turn a highly productive machine a genuine PITA.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:45 pm 
Crown Grade

I have had one GC and 2-STS come apart,from the tubes,upon reloading them,but I don't remember,how many times they were reloaded,before this happened,this was on my Spolar?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I’ve never seen that in 50 years of reloading

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Casonet,

You won't if you have a MEC.

Folks can say what they want and buy what they want, but it is very difficult to find a reloader that does the job better than a MEC.

From my POV, from reading the posts on SGW, most people that don't like their MEC's have never turned off the cell phone, TV, kids, wife etc. and learned to adjust the machine properly.

I have 5 MEC's, 1 600Jr., 2 Sizemasters, 1 9000G and 1 9000H, starting with the 600 Jr. in 1974 and have had very few issues with any of them. The newer style primer feed have made the two 9000's pretty bullet proof.

Can a machine still mess up? Yup, but the machine doesn't have a brain, the person operating the machine does (or at least should have). When the machine messes up, I will put good money on it, that the operator was at fault.

aka Mr. Tactful.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have several MECs including 9000s and Sizemasters. I also have two RCBS Grands. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. Overall I would rank them as equals. Neither had ever pulled the case head off of the hull. Not bashing Dillons because I’ve owned their centerfire press and it was a good press. Nobody even comes close to RCBS customer service.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

I should have tried a different run of W209's before I nixed the Remington hulls - perhaps I had an oversized batch of primers? I've never heard of W209's being oversized, but then very few reloaders would ever suspect a problem when using them - as was said "a little more handle pressure".

But, what's done is done. Dillon plus AA-HS and life is good.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:54 am 
Limited Edition

300Mag wrote:
I beg to differ. Here's a couple of photos that I took. On the Dillon, if the primer does not fit the pocket, more handle pressure only caves-in the base -

I've loaded a lot of once fired GC's on my Dillon and never had that happen. At one point, I was even loading Fiocchi primers (Euro primers being a .001 or .002 larger over American primers) into once fired GC's and didn't have that issue. You must have some seriously large forearms :-)

Yes, I can see by the design of the Dillon Primer Seater that something like that could happen (the seating punch pushes straight up from the bottom while the rim of the hull is captured and in theory could "center punch" the head) whereas with the MEC, the hull is pushed by a ram DOWN onto the primer to seat it and the base of the hull is supported flat.

So yes I can see from the design that this could happen...but I've never seen it. Maybe something is out of adjustment with your Dillon to cause that to happen however I can't think of what it would be...that part of the design is pretty much "fixed" (i.e there is no adjustment).