ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Questions about paper hulls
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:54 pm 
Limited Edition

Attachment:
PaperHulls.1.jpg

Are paper hulls in this condition worth anything? I have several hundred - could fill two large flat boxes. They are probably 75/25 winchester/remington, high brass, low brass, even a few 20ga in the mix.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Questions about paper hulls
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:45 pm 
Crown Grade

Folds/hulls need to be re-waxed, but worth the trouble for someone that likes reloading paper hulls.

As for price, about 5 cents each, but cost of shipping would be the real killer for the two/few hulls that your looking to sell instead.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:07 pm 
Presentation Grade

the top isn't the problem.
I could turn on the machine and re-wax those in like 10 seconds.
the bottom above the brass is where you have an issue, any pin holes there is where the hulls go bad.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:42 pm 
Limited Edition

I know some of you guys like paper hulls - I personally haven't loaded any since the late 60's :)

These hulls are free to anyone who wants to pay shipping - you'd best count on $45 or so.

Dano523 and fiver get first dibs, since they were nice enough to offer helpful info.

The photo I posted above shows the worst of the hulls - most are in better condition. I don't see any sign of these having been loaded before, but it's hard to say. I think they are just very old.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The problem will be finding any reloading data. Even if you can, the powders will probably be obsolete or unavailable, not to mention that wads used were probably fiber and card. And the Remingtons probably have #57 primers which are long obsolete and unavailable

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Because they are not Federal, which still makes paper hulls and for which there is current reloading data available, I would say they are virtually worthless to most reloaders. Perhaps reloader interested in vintage hulls or collectors might be interested.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:29 pm 
Crown Grade

casonet wrote:
The problem will be finding any reloading data. Even if you can, the powders will probably be obsolete or unavailable, not to mention that wads used were probably fiber and card. And the Remingtons probably have #57 primers which are long obsolete and unavailable

Yes, no, maybe, but any long tooth reloader will still be sitting on a least a case of #57 primers still in the stash, and well as a keg of some older older powder like Win 452aa that you could come up with a load for the hulls.

But yes, if you are reloading paper hulls in masses, will be the Fed golds that you can reloading data to reload them on the ease with current powders and primers.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have a batch of Federal papers and tried to reload but end up with poor crimps. How do you re- wax these hulls? Plastic hulls, Remington and Winchester always give good crimps. I will keep them around in case I want to do some black powder loads but otherwise they are not worth the time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:30 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you are trying to crimp them with anything but a smooth crimp starter, that’s the problem. I load those Federals all the time and my crimps are a thing of beauty; much prettier than a plastic crimp.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:00 am 
Crown Grade

The text book way to load 209 primers in a #57 hull is to resize it with a spent 209 primer first. Herters told us to just stuff their primers in & reload! Much old data just called for a paper or a plastic hull. I think any data that would work in a Fed. paper hull would work in any paper hull. They still make Red Dot & Herco which is what I used then & still use. The last paper hulls I reloaded were 3.5" Win. 10 ga. & that was because 10 ga. hulls were in short supply. I would happily reload paper hulls again if I needed to but I don't. They lost their charm when I got my hands on some WW CF hulls. I loaded CF hulls with fiber wads for a long time. It is hard to find good fiber wads but Black Powder shooters still use them. The ones you see most often fragment real easy & are just for taking up space. Think it is hard to crimp paper hulls with a plastic hull crimp starter? You should try it the other way around!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:15 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Most of us have a good supply of #57 primers on hand. The problem is that there aren’t many hulls around to use them on. I have some, but it won’t be enough to use up all the primers that I have

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:39 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

wrfish wrote:
I have a batch of Federal papers and tried to reload but end up with poor crimps. How do you re- wax these hulls?
When I loaded papers, I used to recondition the frayed mouths with a special paper hull "rewaxer." It was called the "Thermagic." It's no longer made. It had a mandrel the heated up and melted the wax in the mouth and caused the fraying to go away. As mentioned above, using the smooth, cone-style, crimp starter helps.

I suggest surreptitiously going into the section of stores where they sell hair curlers with a 12 ga. hull and see if you can find one that is of the right size. You could probably come up with something that would work.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:51 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Those hulls are straight wall with a paper basewad.

Except for the small Remington primers, they will load pretty much like the current Federal papers. You might have to try different wads to find the correct wad column height.

Straight wall hulls are straight wall hulls for the most part.

aka Mr. Tactful.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:26 pm 
Crown Grade

Boy, we are really running out of subject matter for discussion, aren't we?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Load the Winchester12 ga paper Rangers with either a Remington SP12 or the Winchester WAA12R wad. Because of the very high base wad you will need a very short wad. For the 20 ga Winchester Rangers I find that the Remington SP20 wad works well with 15 grains of Unique or Universal. There is plenty of info available for the Federal papers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:21 pm 
Limited Edition

Me thinks these hulls are going to make a one-way trip to the dump.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I figured out how to load them and I do enjoy shooting them. There’s no real advantage over plastic. For me it’s the nostalgia. Federal papers seem to have a loyal following.because they keep making them. A recent article in “Garden and Gun” magazine about paper hulls indicated increasing popularity for hunting because the paper bio degrades.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There's nothing quite like the smell from a freshly fired paper hull that was loaded with Red Dot.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:18 pm 
Crown Grade

Yes, it does have a distinctive smell that brings back memories. When I remember some of the paper hulls I had to deal with. The pin holes & ragged burnt crimps compared with what we have now! I believe I was thoroughly spoiled by the relatively bullet proof hulls like the WWAA CF hulls. Many of the hulls we load today don't come near that quality level but they start to look good when I compare them to the old paper hulls. Paper hulls were not so bad unless you were looking for a long reloading life! For me, the plastic hull was the major improvement. I never had a problem with felt wads. WW made one of the best hulls ever but I think it also gets the prize for the worst hull for reloading. That was the paper based polyformed hull. Lyman even stopped publishing data for it! If you got more than one reload with it before the paper gas seal burnt out, you were lucky!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

That gas seal does go quickly, but I see little difference in performance with or without it.