ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Mec 600 adjustment issues.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:25 pm 
Field Grade

So I finally got everything I needed and set up my Mec Jr 600 and loaded my first 5 shells AND I'm having some problems.

I should say its a 28 gauge and I'm loading steel shot. I'm hand weighing the powder and shot because I don't have those parts for the press yet.

The first thing I noticed was the wad ram doesn't go down nearly low enough to put the wad (BPs steel shot wad) I'm using into the shell. I tried to adjust it but it wouldn't adjust that low. It would stop about where the plastic tube for the powder and shot drop ended, about 3/4 inch too short. Oddly the are markings on it that indicate it should go lower but it would not.

Is this a steel conversion kit issue maybe?

The second thing is the crimp. I'm still working on it but maybe someone can get me up to speed quicker. The main issue is a very bumpy uneven edge where the smooth roll over should be. Just not sure which of the variables I need to adjust to address that ugly problem.

Thanks,
Dave

Post subject: Re: New Mec 600 adjustment issues.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:46 pm 
Diamond Grade

2 1/2 or 3 inch shells?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:55 pm 
Field Grade

Its a 2 3/4 inch 28 gauge, cheddite hulls with high brass.

I probably should also of included that I'm loading a BP published load of 27 gn of lil gun.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:07 pm 
Crown Grade

I don't load on a MEC, but on page one of the manual it states the kit must be used to load steel shot.

Curly or SteveY will know for sure if the reason is the rammer tube is longer to accommodate wads with no crush section.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:53 pm 
Field Grade

You need to loosen the clamp that holds the powder/shot drop tube, the lower one that also seats the wad between adding powder and adding shot. It may be "stuck". If so, tip the bottle holder base back and lift out the top part of the drop tube assembly. Make sure the clamp is really loosened. Take a round wood dowel, 5/8" - 3/4" diameter and gently tap down the bottom part of the drop tube until it's low enough to just seat the wad on top of your powder. Many people, myself included, prefer to have the wad pressure seating indicator just barely lift; showing a little pressure on the wad. Then, tighten the clamp and you should be good to go. -Ed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:09 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks Ed, I'll give that a try.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:37 pm 
Field Grade

Ed, that did the trick, now it slides down to the right level, though very roughly. NOW the problem is when its all the way down there is a 1/4 gap between the upper powder/ shot drop tube and the lower. I think the steel conversion kit addresses this, I saw it came with a metal upper tube that looks to be longer than the original plastic tube.

However, it should still work if I just back it off 1/2 inch when I drop powder. I won't be dropping steel shot because no one makes a bushing to drop 5/8 oz of steel. :? I'll just have to stick with hand weighing it.

Now to figure out the deal with the crimp.

Thanks again, Ed.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:16 pm 
Diamond Grade

DGRFLY wrote:
The second thing is the crimp. I'm still working on it but maybe someone can get me up to speed quicker. The main issue is a very bumpy uneven edge where the smooth roll over should be. Just not sure which of the variables I need to adjust to address that ugly problem.

You have too much pre-crimp, the "bumpy uneven edge" you see is caused by the ribs in the pre-crimp die.

DGRFLY wrote:
NOW the problem is when its all the way down there is a 1/4 gap between the upper powder/ shot drop tube and the lower. I think the steel conversion kit addresses this, I saw it came with a metal upper tube that looks to be longer than the original plastic tube..

Then use it! Set your machine up correctly and exactly, you will be amazed at how well it works.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:24 pm 
Diamond Grade

DGRFLY wrote:
I won't be dropping steel shot because no one makes a bushing to drop 5/8 oz of steel. :? I'll just have to stick with hand weighing it.

MEC makes a 3/4 oz and 11/16 oz. lead bars, one of those might work.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:21 pm 
Field Grade

Ahhh, ok I'll back that pre-crimp off and see what I get.

Since my last post I ordered the steel conversion kit from BP. It's just a metal drop tube and a bottle for steel shot. Not sure why steel shot needs a specific bottle, but OK. The drop tube appears to be a tube in a tube that will expand with the movement of the press, which is kinda cool.

Thanks for the tip.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:56 am 
Crown Grade

Steel shot get a "specific bottle" because NORMALLY larger steel pellets are used than lead, and they flow/feed better through a bigger hole.

Steel wads lack the entire 3/4" or so cushion section of lead wads, this is why the Rammer Tube setup for lead wads is too short to properly seat steel wads, it was never designed to reach that far down inside the hull.

All of the problems/difficulties that a press (the MEC600Jr) which predates the mandate for steel shot by as much as 2+ decades, designed for lead shot, are fixed by the use of the Steel Shot Kit.

The same Steel Shot Kit also makes the machine work better if one loads large-size lead shot in it, #4 and larger. They typically handle #5 and smaller just fine, which is what they were designed around (7 to 8).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:26 pm 
Diamond Grade

push the wad in.
dump the shot down the tube.
raise the handle about 1/2" and then lower the handle again.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:18 pm 
Diamond Grade

fiver wrote:
push the wad in.
dump the shot down the tube.
raise the handle about 1/2" and then lower the handle again.

Why not do it right!! You guys and your mickey mouse work arounds.
Anything worth doing is worth doing right.

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:24 pm 
Field Grade

Don’t worry Steve, I have the right kit ordered set my press up correctly. It is just easier to use that way. Backed off the pre-crimp and things are looking better. However, I noticed the crimp is about an 8th inch over the shot/ top of wad. I find this odd because I’m strictly following a published load from BP. I’ll need to raise it up with nitro cards or use overshot cards to fill that space. Guess I’ll have to see what works better.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:36 pm 

DGRFLY wrote:
Don’t worry Steve, I have the right kit ordered set my press up correctly. It is just easier to use that way. Backed off the pre-crimp and things are looking better. However, I noticed the crimp is about an 8th inch over the shot/ top of wad. I find this odd because I’m strictly following a published load from BP. I’ll need to raise it up with nitro cards or use overshot cards to fill that space. Guess I’ll have to see what works better.

Many loads are listed and published. That generally means they are safe, many question the safety of loads listed by BP and several of their loads have been tested by forum members and found to be outside the norms for safe loads.
But because a load is published as safe, that in no way means that they will fit and crimp well in the hull listed.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:50 pm 
Diamond Grade

DGRFLY wrote:

It was not directed at you.. {hs#

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:28 pm 
Field Grade

So this is getting frustrating. The steel shot kit from mec is apparently not made for a 28 gauge press. The new longer metal drop tube flares out at the top so it sits higher in the metal arms, which prevents the charge bar / bottles from sitting flat. :roll: No where in the description on MEC's or BP's website does it say its only for larger gauges, if fact is says its for all MEC presses. However, on the little manual in the box its says for 10 and 12 gauge. Not cool at all.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:54 am 
Presentation Grade

Curly N wrote:
DGRFLY wrote:

Many loads are listed and published. That generally means they are safe, many question the safety of loads listed by BP and several of their loads have been tested by forum members and found to be outside the norms for safe loads.
But because a load is published as safe, that in no way means that they will fit and crimp well in the hull listed.

With that BP listed load you would be wise ( Like other reloaders ) to start 5 % under
the listed powder charge and work your way up to a load that , your gun likes !
It could save you a lot of trouble down the road ?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:01 am 
Crown Grade

DGRFLY wrote:
So this is getting frustrating. The steel shot kit from mec is apparently not made for a 28 gauge press. The new longer metal drop tube flares out at the top so it sits higher in the metal arms, which prevents the charge bar / bottles from sitting flat. :roll: No where in the description on MEC's or BP's website does it say its only for larger gauges, if fact is says its for all MEC presses. However, on the little manual in the box its says for 10 and 12 gauge. Not cool at all.

Then you have something else going on because all of the MEC single stage press frames are identical the only thing different in them is the dies that are screwed to them and the base plate that indexes the hulls.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

I use a wood dowel to seat the wad when loading steel shot as typically there is not enough room between tube and wad guide to fit a steel wad in if you have the tube low enough to exert pressure on the wad.

Also a lot of steel wads are tapered on the inside and will stick to the drop tube when you pull it back up if you have the tube down that low.