ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: energy needed to ignite 209 primers
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

Does anyone know how much energy is required for the firing pin to strike the primer face of 209/209a and have reliable ignition? Any suggestions on where to find this info? Efforts at finding the experts at Winchester are underway.

Thanks in advance.

s/f Steve

Post subject: Re: energy needed to ignite 209 primers
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:20 pm 
Presentation Grade

Why do you ask?

Every shotgun I ever owned ignites them just fine.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

Well, a friend asked, and he is not at liberty to tell me why his business is interested. His word is good enough for me. I'm sure it is important. He shared with me the necessary or likely testing criteria but I didn't see the need to share as of yet. Not secret or confidential or the like but excess bandwidth.

s/f Steve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:43 pm 
Crown Grade

I'm not sure there's a quantifiable answer for that. The reason? A given force distributed over a large, dull firing pin might not cause ignition, but that exact same force given to a small, sharp, piercing pin might.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:49 pm 
Presentation Grade

I'd look around the wolf spring website and see what a replacement spring comes in at.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The links below are to companies that make universal receivers for ballistics labs. They have to know how energetic their firing mechanisms are.

http://zpvproizvodnja.com/ballistic-tes ... receivers/

http://www.drello.com/english/ballistic ... ontest.php

https://www.wisemanballistics.com/product/

Or you could try a firearms manufacturer, but chances of getting a customer service person that would know that info, is slim to none.

Possibly one of the better gunsmiths might know.

aka Mr. Tactful.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:11 pm 
Crown Grade

Yes, the number is quantifiable, I have seen such written in specifications for military arms.

I don't have those specs at hand.

Google would help a lot, but only if used.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:26 pm 
Tournament Grade

A number of us are looking. If anything turns up interesting, I'll be sure to share.

s/f Steve

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:58 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Gunsite Guy wrote:
Does anyone know how much energy is required for the firing pin to strike the primer face of 209/209a and have reliable ignition? Any suggestions on where to find this info? Efforts at finding the experts at Winchester are underway.

Thanks in advance.

s/f Steve

See: http://www.davidtubb.com/index.php?down ... nload/free

There is no energy number alone.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There are so many variables that there will be no specific number, not possible.

Different primer face materials and thicknesses alone will make a huge difference, and is part of the reason a gun will work perfectly fine with one kind of primer, but won't reliably shoot another. The firing pin diameter, profile, and angle are additional factors, as is the hammer fall distance, speed, and force.

Hell, each manufacturer themselves make/use multiple different types of primers, Winchester alone has at least 4 variants.

[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:46 pm 
Crown Grade

Gunsite Guy wrote:
Does anyone know how much energy is required for the firing pin to strike the primer face of 209/209a and have reliable ignition?

And if you learn this information, what will you do differently?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

deleted

aka Mr. Tactful.

Last edited by dogchaser37 on Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:43 pm 
Crown Grade

There are some that believe round-faced primers, as apposed to flat-faced primers like the WW-209, are more reliable in the bottom barrel of Brownings.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:49 pm 
Tournament Grade

Gentlemen,

This has nothing to do with my shotguns or my reloads. It has nothing to do with primer variables, just 209 and 209a. Think of it as an interest in something more than press the trigger and something go bang. To me it is all esoteric. I find it interesting and fun. I think it is more about how do you measure something like this. They, my friends, are suggesting to me that you would take a metal ball, hold it by an electromagnet and upon release the falling weight and strike a firing pin and will or will not ignite the primer. What weight would it require and what distance/height?

All of this will not help me break one single target, kill one more bird, or thrill the locals. It is just fun.

s/f Steve

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There probably is an answer to your question, but it will vary depending on the brand of primer. Each brand uses different materials to make their primers and the answer to you question will depend on the metal used on the strike face of each brand.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:52 pm 
Crown Grade

I have no idea what the OP is looking for but this can be attacked from a different direction and find out what the gun manufacturers think the amount of kinetic energy needed to fire a primer.

You can do this by measuring the amount of energy stored in the hammer spring using the formula:

E = ½kx²

where E = stored kinetic energy
k = spring constant (obtain from spring or gun manufacturer)
x = spring displacement (measure difference in length between at rest and full cock)

There are some frictional losses, so the actual energy will be less than that stored in the spring initially, but this is basically what the manufacturers think it takes to reliably set off a primer.

Don't be surprised if it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:10 pm 
Field Grade

Gunsite Guy wrote:
Does anyone know how much energy is required for the firing pin to strike the primer face of 209/209a and have reliable ignition?

Quote:
... my friends, are suggesting to me that you would take a metal ball, hold it by an electromagnet and upon release the falling weight and strike a firing pin and will or will not ignite the primer.

I assume you're seeking an answer expressed in joules, and it seems to me that you're going about finding that answer the right way.

Since a sufficiently small metal ball will probably reach terminal velocity pretty quickly, I'd suspend a "firing pin" of known mass from an increasing height above a selection of primers. Constrain its fall within a tube oriented as vertically as practicable. Increase its mass until you get ignition. Repeat until you establish a correlation.

KE = 1/2 m*v^2 (by definition)

On Earth where g = 9.8 m/s^2, you can convert this to height. The time it takes to fall from that height is the square root of 2*g*height, so

KE = mass* g* height

The height needs to be reasonable so it'll be easier to vary the mass. I have to ignore air friction but its effect is likely to be negligible if the mass is sufficiently large. That's why a small steel ball probably won't work. Also construct the "constraining tube" from some perforated material so you trap negligible air between the mass and whatever's around it.

The shape of whatever strikes the primer may or may not have an effect. I managed to achieve ignition striking a primer with a completely flat surface. It was not intentional :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

You guys are awesome! I can hardly keep up with all the info being provided. This is truly one of those instances where the more the better. The knowledge on this site is way beyond me...but I will keep trying.

Thanks so very much.

s/f Steve

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:13 pm 
Presentation Grade

a pin shaped striker will be needed.
I think that was mentioned above.

you could go the other way around and tape/glue the ball to the primer and drop an empty shell with just a primer from different heights.
we used to tape marbles to the bottom of primed hulls and toss them in the air.
[yes sometimes they were loaded, we tossed those ones pretty far]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:48 am 
Field Grade

If I was doing this experiment, I would drop a short, but relatively heavy steel rod with a firing pin fitted to one end down a vertical metal tube screwed to another metal tube that held a primed case. Using the E = m g h formula, once m & h were determined I would have my answer.

Of course, where I live, such a device may be considered a firearm (unregistered, with no serial number) so I will not be conducting such an experiment.
In that curcumstance, such a device would only be good for shooting yourself in the foot in more ways than one.