ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rem #23676 wad -PT
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:52 pm 
Utility Grade

So a non reloading friend got these in an estate sale and gave them to me. I ve got enough to load 10 flats of 12 gauge.

They are a very short wad with a normal .785 target shot cup (1 to 1 1/8 oz). I know they ve not been produced for decades but they ve obviously been kept indoors and remain playable and in great shape.

Anyone know of receipts to use them in modern plastic hulls? Would a cork or felt spaces be needed to get stack height right? Or maybe a very bulky reloading powder?

I just hate to toss them when they re perfectly fine and would be great for informal clay practice if I can find some receipes. Have got both STS and AA hulls in quantity.

Thx for any experience/help.
Frank

Post subject: Re: Rem #23676 wad -PT
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

I don't think the wads were produced very long. Mid 1960's production. They were used for paper hulls mostly for 1oz loads.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:30 pm 
Utility Grade

Shotcup is same depth as Fig 8 wad but overall length of wad is .300 shorter than Fig 8. Measured out 1 1/8 oz of shot and right to the brim... wondering if .250 under shot card and a 7/8 oz load of shot might crimp well. Probably need a bulkier powder that might be a little slower to get some additional stack height.

I ve never fooled with spacers between powder and wad but that might be a possibility also.

I have 100 old Rem cases that have a high base in them but not going to find anymore of those...and figure best case I might get 4-5 loads out of them but that'd still leave me a ton of wads; thus my hope that someone has data or a simple method of skinning this cat!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:13 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I think those would be very close to the Remington RPA12 wad. Might work in the Winchester HS hull since it has a little less capacity. A fluffy powder (Red Dot/PROMO) would be required. With enough wads for 10 flats, it would be worth it to find a load.

NAHC Life Member
VA State Shooting Association Life Member
NSSA Referee
NSSA Level I Instructor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

D McMillen, has it. They are for paper target hulls. Long since out of production. If I have my info correct, the basewad height in the old Remington paper hulls were fairly high and needed a short wad.

aka Mr. Tactful.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:10 pm 
Diamond Grade

dogchaser37 wrote:
D McMillen, has it. They are for paper target hulls. Long since out of production. If I have my info correct, the basewad height in the old Remington paper hulls were fairly high and needed a short wad.

They would prolly work for those old Remington All American hulls with the higher basewad. OAL is very close. If his friend didn't also pick up any of those hulls in that estate sale, I've got a box full of those old hulls I would send him to use up some of those free wads.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:22 pm 
Presentation Grade

the all American wads were a different number almost the same but different.
I have 2 boxes of wads for the all American hulls down in my stuff.

I'd try some new AA's and like 19-20grs of green-dot with an ounce of shot as a test fit,,, maybe up the load to 1-1/16oz of shot.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:16 am 
Utility Grade

Oldtechshooter, you are exactly right about hulls being way taller inside thus reason wads so short. I ve only got 100 of the hulls which are dark blue but I ll never get 25 reloads per hull to use all the time ads.

If you have some of these old hulls I d pay freight to get them if you have no need for them.

I ll shoot a photo of the box those 100 hulls came in and load it up after a bit.

Thx to everyone for the help/info.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:38 am 
Utility Grade

Not the best photos in the world but gives you an idea of the hull and wads for such hulls. ( now do you think that Rem hull box is old... lol) !

I tried loading 3 photos but it said file too big....? I could email or text them to you if you d like. Again I d much appreciate getting some of the hulls you have if they re not being used. I measured with a dial caliper from the top of the internal base to top of the fired hull and it s approximately 2.150". New hulls run 2.450" for comparison !

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:04 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have a 20 box case of factory All American shells (factory loaded shells) if you are interested. They are #9 skeet loads.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:28 am 
Utility Grade

WAGinVA, thanks for responding. I mostly shoot trap and hunt so #9 doesn't work. My interest would be in hulls.

That said I might be interested if you don t plan on using them yourself for skeet. Think about it and if you decide you won't use them send me a PM with what you d take for them.

Oldtechshooter has empty hulls so that's what I m planning to do in order to have a way to use all those wads I got. (Have heard some guys say the basewads in those all American hulls can come out and lodge in barrel so that's concerning to me; have to be real cautious when using them)

Thx again.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:58 pm 
Diamond Grade

Eleven years and one month ago, a thread on this reloading forum discussed these wads (LINK): Remington "Power Piston" W23676 12 ga. Wads

In that thread, SGW forum member FullandFuller wrote a post that included images of a couple of helpful illustrated Remington wad charts. The chart colored blue was from the mid-1960s and shows wad dimensions, including three wads that have been discontinued for decades. W-23676 is one of the discontinued wads.

--Bob

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:19 pm 
Utility Grade

Bob, thanks for info. Would you believe I have both the 23676 and 23694 wads!! 1000 of one and 2000 of the other. Thus my reason to see if anyone has some all American plastic hulls laying around.

Wads are soft and flexible; like new condition. Someone kept them in a stable environment, inside a house is my guess.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:28 am 
Crown Grade

D McMillen wrote:
I don't think the wads were produced very long. Mid 1960's production. They were used for paper hulls mostly for 1oz loads.

Lyman's 1st Edition lists the Rem #23676 Power Piston wad for the old Winchester/Western
Paper low brass hull. Load data called for 19.5 grs. 700X, 1-1/8 oz. and a Fed. 209 primer. They were also listed for use with Remington/Peters SP plastic cases with 28.5 grs. PB, 1-1/8 oz. and the old Alcan G57F primer, The Rem/Peters All American hull is listed with 18.0 grs. 700X,1-1/8 oz. and Rem 97 primer. There are two recipes for the obsolete Rem Old Style plastic target hull.

DF

Montani Semper Liberi