ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Federal hulls
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

What is the best Federal hull for reloading.? I have no experience except I tried some of the pink ones one time with poor results. Also the Federal papers were too much trouble. Thanks for the replies

Post subject: Re: Federal hulls
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:26 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Federal Gold Medals either ribbed or smooth reload very nicely. The newer style Federal Grand hulls which are white, reload well also, using the same data as the Gold Medal hulls.

There are some complaints that the steel head on the Grand's is harder to resize than the Gold Medal's brass head. I have a MEC 9000H, I don't have any problems resizing the Grand's.

I use either CB2118-12 for 1 1/8 oz. loads. For 1 oz. I use CB2100-12 or CB6100-12 wads. I kinda like the CB6100-12 better than the CB2100-12 wad.

The Top Gun hulls red, burgundy, white, blue or pink all reload fine, but I think they reload better using the CB6100-12 wad, if you are using 1 oz. loads. They crimp better if you set the crimp deeper, like .065" to .070" instead of .055" and put as much of a tapered shoulder as they can stand without crushing.

aka Mr. Tactful.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The Federal Paper reload very nicely and take picture perfect crimps, but only last for two to three reload till burn through. I still like ‘em

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

dogchaser37 wrote:
Federal Gold Medals either ribbed or smooth reload very nicely. The newer style Federal Grand hulls which are white, reload well also, using the same data as the Gold Medal hulls.

There are some complaints that the steel head on the Grand's is harder to resize than the Gold Medal's brass head. I have a MEC 9000H, I don't have any problems resizing the Grand's.

I use either CB2118-12 for 1 1/8 oz. loads. For 1 oz. I use CB2100-12 or CB6100-12 wads. I kinda like the CB6100-12 better than the CB2100-12 wad.

The Top Gun hulls red, burgundy, white, blue or pink all reload fine, but I think they reload better using the CB6100-12 wad, if you are using 1 oz. loads. They crimp better if you set the crimp deeper, like .065" to .070" instead of .055" and put as much of a tapered shoulder as they can stand without crushing.

I am currently staying at a shooting park in AZ. and see a few of the white God Medals I will start picking them up.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:01 pm 
Crown Grade

wrfish wrote:
What is the best Federal hull for reloading.? I have no experience except I tried some of the pink ones one time with poor results. Also the Federal papers were too much trouble. Thanks for the replies

Were you using the right wads for the Fed Pink hulls, or any Fed hull for that matter.

Use the wrong wad, and you will get very deep dishing.

I've loaded thousands of the pink, no problems.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:01 am 
Diamond Grade

Gold Medal.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:57 pm 
Crown Grade

casonet wrote:
The Federal Paper reload very nicely and take picture perfect crimps, but only last for two to three reload till burn through. I still like ‘em

What loading data are you using for the current paper Federal Premium Target hull?

Also, a friend gave me a large supply of once fired 12 ga. AACF hulls dating from the 1970's or 80's. Mixed in with the AACF hulls was a 5 gallon trash bag full of once fired Winchester 12 ga. low brass paper hulls. The only target load data I have for this hull using 700X is from Lyman's 1st and calls for an obsolete Remington WS23676 (1-1/8 oz.) or Alcan Flite-Max #3 wad (1 oz.). Are there replacements for these old wads or are the hulls now dumpster fodder?

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I load the Feds with 18.5 grains of Red Dot, Win 209 primer and the WAA12 wad or CB-1118-12 and 1 1/8 oz of shot. The Winchester hulls probably have a very high base wad with a paper gas seal on top of it (polyformed paper). I load it the same as the Fed paper except with the CB-1138-12 wad or the Winchester WAA12R wad. Everything else is the same. Both are nice mild loads at around 1150 fps. Pre-crimp with a smooth crimp starter and finish with a nice crimp set. I load both and they are good for two or three reloads before you get burn through. Examine the base wads with a flashlight each time before reloading or just reload once and toss.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:27 am 
Diamond Grade

doppelflinten wrote:
... Also, a friend gave me a large supply of once fired 12 ga. AACF hulls dating from the 1970's or 80's. Mixed in with the AACF hulls was a 5 gallon trash bag full of once fired Winchester 12 ga. low brass paper hulls. The only target load data I have for this hull using 700X is from Lyman's 1st and calls for an obsolete Remington WS23676 (1-1/8 oz.) or Alcan Flite-Max #3 wad (1 oz.). Are there replacements for these old wads or are the hulls now dumpster fodder?

doppelfinten-
By a remarkable coincidence, three days ago sgw member "fmuguira" started a thread in this forum, inquiring about uses for a couple thousand W-23676 wads that he had recently obtained.

LINK to thread: Rem #23676 wad -PT.
--Bob