ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Slug Wax Plug?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:34 am 
Field Grade

I saw this on a shotgun slug loading FB group. A member had loaded some thug slugs and instead of crimping he filled the shell with candle wax. Most of the folks on there told him it would greatly increase the pressure, and possibly blow his gun up, and injure him. Is there test data that could either confirm, or dismiss their claims. I don't believe a little wax, just to seal the shell would be an issue, but the HUGE plug he made looked kinda nuts to me. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Slug Wax Plug?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:21 am 
Tournament Grade

I've done this with a couple of different slug types, though not Thug Slugs, before I got a roll crimper. It works fine and doesn't add much weight to the round. Wax is very light compared to lead! Wax also doesn't "clog the barrel" as some imagine it might; in fact, it lubes the barrel. I haven't used these in any loads that were right up against max pressure, nor have I had them tested, but I'm fairly certain that the pressure is reduced compared to a roll or fold crimp and no wax, as the wax plug gets pushed out quite easily. I did chronograph some loads, and MV was reduced with this setup, and combustion looked a bit dirtier, so that would support the idea of reduced pressure.

One problem with this method is that the wax shrinks quite a bit as it cools, so it may not seal things up very well. The other problem I found was that accuracy was worse, as though the wax in front of the slug was disrupting its flight significantly. So, I mostly stick to roll or fold crimps nowadays, depending on the slug.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:06 pm 
Crown Grade

jimkim wrote:
I saw this on a shotgun slug loading FB group. A member had loaded some thug slugs and instead of crimping he filled the shell with candle wax. Most of the folks on there told him it would greatly increase the pressure, and possibly blow his gun up, and injure him. Is there test data that could either confirm, or dismiss their claims. I don't believe a little wax, just to seal the shell would be an issue, but the HUGE plug he made looked kinda nuts to me. Thanks.

Well, to start with you'd have to QUADRUPLE TO QUINTUPLE the pressures to blow the shotgun up.
I fail to see the physics that gooses the firing pressures by a factor of 4 or 5 times.

Would it raise pressures? Almost certainly, yes.
How much? anything other than having a fistful tested is just a WAG. Wild-Arsed Guess.

Blow the shotgun up? Unfortunately no.
"Unfortunately" because, since it won't, the idea will continue, same as Cut Shells, because blowing the entire hull down the barrel, intact, everything but the metal head, doesn't blow shotguns up, "so it's fine". :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:57 pm 
Field Grade

Your answers gave me much needed relief. I kept trying to figure out how it would be that much of an issue. I cast my own bullets. I use a wax based bullet lube. I've used Imperial sizing wax. I've waxed floors. I've waxed cars. To me it would "wax" the bore and probably even increase the velocity a little due to the reduction of friction. I kept thinking I was missing something.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:12 am 
Diamond Grade

if the wax leaves something behind it will increase the friction in your Barrel, unless it's the second or third shot.

Jim think about where your first cast bullet goes from a cold barrel.
it is usually a bit high and maybe a bit off to the side of the group that follows after it.
it is generally in need of about a 4% powder increase to make up the difference in velocity reduction the dried and cracked lube causes.

look at Eutetic's posts in the latter part of the lube quest thread Gearknasher started over at boolits
you'll start seeing the C.O.R.E. principle talked about more and more by Pete, myself, and Ian, and you'll see the cold weather and dirty barrel testing bearing out the increase necessary.
R5R.