ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: MEC Quality?
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:37 am 
Tournament Grade

oneounceload wrote:
I disagree. Basic GC target loads now run $6-$7/box at retail outlets; I can reload for $3.50 $4.35/box all depending on payload

Agreed completely. Even loading 1oz 12 ga loads, I'm finding it much less expensive to reload than to buy new GG or similar. That's obviously after you've "paid for' the initial investment the reloader itself. But from a powder, primer, wad and shot perspective, I find it significantly cheaper. And I never have to worry about running short.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:14 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yes you can save money loading target loads but the margins are small. I load for skeet and I plan to continue. However, my buddies are buying inexpensive 12 and 20 ga target loads on special sales in my area for $4.99 and sometimes even less. I can still save but not much. MEC machines are long since paid for. Quality keeps them going.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:26 am 
Diamond Grade

bladesmith wrote:
STS just went on sale for 5 something a box - pretty cheap. But even at that price if you don't mind shooting 3/4 or 7/8oz 12ga loads which is all I do, then it is still cheaper to reload for target shooting.

Where are you getting STS for that price? I only use factory shells for tournaments or, occasionally practice or fun shooting if I find myself out of my pet reloads.

At the price you mentioned, I would stock up if shipping is no a deal killer.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:51 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

At this time the least costly 12ga available locally is $5.75..... last sale had them at $4.99. Have found with High School team those do not work in all guns. AA and STS now $7.87, rebate has them at $5.87...... interesting to watch prices along with inventory (local) as it shows prices up across the board and inventory down through all brands........ Larry

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:55 pm 
Utility Grade

Been reloading about 33 years never saved any money yet. 160,000 pistol and rifle 5600 shotgun so far. Owned Dillon 550 and SDB have a MEC 650 and an old Grabber they work as well For Me as the Dillon equipment. I just love to reload and cast bullets haven't started making shot yet.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:41 am 
Presentation Grade

My experience with Ponsness Warren customer service is very good. They have been in production long time. Machines have been updated over the years and some parts may not be available older models . One of my 375 presses 40 years old still cranking them out.

New machine have a problem they fix it. Older machine if they can they will.

Bass

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:17 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Nobody and I mean nobody beats RCBS for customer service. All replacement parts are mailed to you FREE!

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 9:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I load on a MEC 9000, and it works well. I replaced a collet 3-4 years ago but did not discard it. Recently a finger broke off the new one and ended up replacing it with the old one and it works fine. I don't remember why I thought it needed replacing in the first place.
I buy Gun Clubs at $4.99 ,shipping included, from Gander Outdoors, but the last batch I received had some bad crimps that allowed shot to leak out. My reloads were better.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 11:09 am 
Tournament Grade

People say they reload to save money. Yes but in my case I don’t know about savings. I just shoot a lot more. At least I used to before they shut the club down.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 4:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

Other than the cost of the reloading equipment, it costs me almost exactly $4 to load 25 rounds. And I know those are good rounds, that I have tested, shoot well, etc. I get free hulls from my club to reload. Every once in a while I'll buy some new GC or AA rounds. It's probably just slightly over that because there is a little waste but that's my cost.

If you can point me to where I can buy 12ga decent quality target loads, delivered, for $4 a box, please do so.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 4:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

One other thing about MEC machines that I seldom see mentioned is that compared to competitive machines, MEC machines are relatively light weight and compact. This is important if you have limited bench space and need to switch machines to a loading spot. I love my RCBS Grand but the thing is god awful heavy and awkward to move from one place to another. The MEC 9000 beats it hands down for portability.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 5:07 pm 
Utility Grade

casonet wrote:
One other thing about MEC machines that I seldom see mentioned is that compared to competitive machines, MEC machines are relatively light weight and compact. This is important if you have limited bench space and need to switch machines to a loading spot. I love my RCBS Grand but the thing is god awful heavy and awkward to move from one place to another. The MEC 9000 beats it hands down for portability.

Had a good price on a Grand put the weight turned me off. That thing is heavy went with a MEC instead.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 5:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

To the OP:

As it appears your plan is to reload buckshot, you should research the special reloading protocols. Generally you have to load the shot by hand and stack it in the hull. Sometimes, you may need to use an overshot card requiring the use of a roll crimp. So, whichever loader you choose, you might only be using half the stations. The Lyman manual has a chapter devoted to the subject.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:46 am 
Crown Grade

It's interesting to see what others think about what it is costing them to reload a box of 12 GA Target ammunition. Buying most premium factory shells (AA, STS, Gold Medal, etc.) is going to cost somewhere north of $6/box of 25. Occasionally somebody will stumble across a killer deal on one of these locally, but it is usually only on occasion. If you are lucky enough to have a source that can buy direct from a distributer in bulk (say a full pallet), then the $5 mark is a reality most of the time. But day in, day out, the average Joe is going to pay more than $6 for the premium stuff. Even Gun Club and Estate shells are going for between $6 and $7 a box in my local area stores. And of course, you can always go to Wally World for the Winchester/Federal/Remington one and done shells for $5.50/box or so.

I worked up a spreadsheet to determine what it currently costs me to load 12 GA Target loads. I always buy lead shot, primers, and powder in bulk to get the lowest cost on those components. Wads are bought at my Sportsman's Warehouse by the case as needed. Here are the costs I last paid for the following: Primers - 25,000 @ $97/5,000; Shot - 40 bags (1/2 ton) @ $32/bag; Powder - 48.4 lb (44 half kilo bottles of Vectan) @ $15.20/lb; Wads - 500 (bag) @ $11.04/bag. I don't add anything for the hulls, because I can pick up all the free one-n-done hulls I need at local ranges. You can add the hull cost if you want based on what ever you pay for them and divide that by the number of times you expect to reload them.

So for me, my cost to reload target shells is going to come in about like this for the different payloads.

1 1/8 oz = $4.37
1 oz = $4.01
7/8 oz = $3.76
3/4 oz = $3.45

If your not buying in bulk (50 lbs of powder, 1/2 ton or more of shot, 4 or 5 cases of primers), then your costs to reload a box is going to be higher than mine. But there is still a savings there even if you only load 12 GA. The real savings is when loading specialty loads like buckshot or super, duper pheasant loads, and such. I would agree that the casual clay target shooter (a few hundred rounds a year) probably is not going to see any real benefit other than a sense of satisfaction that he's having a good time shooting up shells that he custom made him/her self.

I load all 4 Skeet gauges on a hydraulic Spolar I bought new in 1998. I've loaded well over 500,000 shells on it. The initial cost of just over $2,000 in 1998 is currently adding less than $0.0042 to each shell I reload and going down. :D

I do use my Skeet loads to hunt doves with, but for every other game bird I hunt/shoot, I buy and use factory shells. For me, it just isn't worth the hassle to locate the wads and bigger shot and or non-toxic sizes I like to use for birds. To each his own. Do what makes you happy.

Retired

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:16 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Where are you getting 1000# of shot for $32/bag. Did that include delivery?

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:35 am 
Crown Grade

To condense: The price point and quality of a Mec is more than adequate.
Take into consideration that not everyone is mechanically inclined and even those with reasonable ability sometimes hit a mental block.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 12:07 pm 
Crown Grade

casonet wrote:
Where are you getting 1000# of shot for $32/bag. Did that include delivery?
The shot is manufactured right here in Utah. His biggest customer is Sportsman's Warehouse, also headquartered in Utah. I generally drive to his business address and pick it up, but the last time he delivered to a shooting range in Salt Lake City and I picked it up there. His business is about 75 miles from my house and the range is about 45.

He uses reclaimed shot for the lead. It is all melted down and the antimony content is checked and adjusted to 6%. It is then size checked, lubed, and bagged.

Retired

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 12:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

How much are people paying for buckshot, because that's what the OP intends to load.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 1:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Buckshot is expensive. I bought some Lee molds and then melt and pour my own. No more than I shoot, I can pour a generous supply in a short time. I paid for my equipment the first time I did it.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 1:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Dubob, you are fortunate to have such a facility in your area. Rotometals for the rest of us

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next