ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: MEC Quality?
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:05 pm 
Limited Edition

Anybody have any info ( or pictures ) on the early MEC’s? I mean the very early ones from the 50’s and 60’s.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:15 pm 
Diamond Grade

Google is your friend.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 5:59 pm 
Crown Grade

casonet wrote:
Dubob, you are fortunate to have such a facility in your area.
Yes I am! :D

Retired

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:07 am 
Crown Grade

Since I still have lots of time on my hands, I calculated what it would cost to load my own OO Buckshot loads. I would have to have the pellets shipped to me since nobody locally makes/sells it. Ballistic Products offers 11# at $56.99 (currently out-of-stock). USPS says shipping on 12# from MN to UT is $28.XX bringing the cost of the shot to $85.XX. Loading 9 pellets/shell brings the cost to $0.85/shell or $4.25/box of 5. Retail for a box of 5 is usually somewhere north of $8/$9 per box. So yes, boys and girls, it is way cheaper to load your own buckshot loads in 12 GA.

Retired

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 10:49 am 
Presentation Grade

If loading buckshot was necessary for me, I would be getting a Lee buckshot mold PDQ.
The price of commercial buckshot for reloading is excessive.
Just one old guy's opinion, of course.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:26 am 
Crown Grade

dubob wrote:
It's interesting to see what others think about what it is costing them to reload a box of 12 GA Target ammunition. Buying most premium factory shells (AA, STS, Gold Medal, etc.) is going to cost somewhere north of $6/box of 25. Occasionally somebody will stumble across a killer deal on one of these locally, but it is usually only on occasion. If you are lucky enough to have a source that can buy direct from a distributer in bulk (say a full pallet), then the $5 mark is a reality most of the time. But day in, day out, the average Joe is going to pay more than $6 for the premium stuff. Even Gun Club and Estate shells are going for between $6 and $7 a box in my local area stores. And of course, you can always go to Wally World for the Winchester/Federal/Remington one and done shells for $5.50/box or so.

I worked up a spreadsheet to determine what it currently costs me to load 12 GA Target loads. I always buy lead shot, primers, and powder in bulk to get the lowest cost on those components. Wads are bought at my Sportsman's Warehouse by the case as needed. Here are the costs I last paid for the following: Primers - 25,000 @ $97/5,000; Shot - 40 bags (1/2 ton) @ $32/bag; Powder - 48.4 lb (44 half kilo bottles of Vectan) @ $15.20/lb; Wads - 500 (bag) @ $11.04/bag. I don't add anything for the hulls, because I can pick up all the free one-n-done hulls I need at local ranges. You can add the hull cost if you want based on what ever you pay for them and divide that by the number of times you expect to reload them.

So for me, my cost to reload target shells is going to come in about like this for the different payloads.

1 1/8 oz = $4.37

Almost $3k in reloading inventory to save fifty cents a box.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:37 am 
Tournament Grade

ShowMe wrote:

Almost $3k in reloading inventory to save fifty cents a box.

Not understanding your math whatsoever. I save a minimum of $2 per box. Other than the "consumables" that make up the cost of each box, I probably have $800 invested. So, the cost of the press, etc is paid for completely in 400 boxes. Even though I'm pretty new at Shotshell reloading, I'm already halfway there.

And, I get the rounds I "want" - not the ones that Remington or whoever wants to sell me. I LIKE how my reloads shoot more than I like factory loads.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:49 am 
Tournament Grade

I haven't been doing it very long. It seems to me tho that I can load a shell with quality similar to a AA or STS for the cost of "cheap" loads like I used to shoot all the time. And the main difference is a harder/higher antimony shot.

And turns out I kinda enjoy it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:20 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It became obvious to me some time ago that math will never equal personal bias. No matter how the math works out the "oh yaaaaaa's" begin and the discussion wanders.
Premium here is $8..... my reloads are about $4. Lesser ammo is about $6... my reloads are still around $4. Registered shoot here last weekend. Watched many fine guns have issues with some of the $6 stuff... reloads worked just fine...... Not aware of any issues with $8 ammo..... Let the "But, but, but, but, what if?????" begin. Does not change math or performance........ and the MEC did not collapse nor break during the process........Larry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

^^^^^ {hs# ^^^^^

aka Mr. Tactful.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:55 pm 
Crown Grade

llc wrote:
It became obvious to me some time ago that math will never equal personal bias.
Wait a minute - ShowMe injecting personal bias into a thread? Say it isn't so. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Retired

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:11 pm 
Crown Grade

Regarding the cost/savings of reloading with a Spolar....this is what I posted on another site:

According to the Lost Target Reloading Calculator, my 410 reloads are $3.16/box, and my 28 ga reloads are $3.50/box.

Loading 80 boxes of 410 a year (40 registered, 40 practice) at $9.00 factory, is saving me $467.20

Loading 60 boxes of 28 ga a year (40 registered, 20 practice) at $9.00 factory, is saving me $330.00

Loading 80 boxes of 3/4 12 ga for practice at $3.65 box instead of at least $7.00 factory, is saving me $265.00

Loading 80 boxes of standard 20 ga at $3.90 instead of $6.00 factory , is saving me $168.00

So the Spolar is saving me $1230.20 per year.

Won't take long to have it paid off. I have about $4000 invested, bought the press and 4 gauge set used, added a new PW drive. I had MEC 9000s before, and they did a great job, but I decided to switch. Mostly because I was tired of problems with the 410 collet.

Your experience may vary!

So, as you can see, there is money to be saved by reloading. And with purchasing a quality used reloader, you'll get a majority of it back when you decide to sell.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:02 pm 
Presentation Grade

llc wrote:
It became obvious to me some time ago that math will never equal personal bias. No matter how the math works out the "oh yaaaaaa's" begin and the discussion wanders.
Premium here is $8..... my reloads are about $4. Lesser ammo is about $6... my reloads are still around $4. Registered shoot here last weekend. Watched many fine guns have issues with some of the $6 stuff... reloads worked just fine...... Not aware of any issues with $8 ammo..... Let the "But, but, but, but, what if?????" begin. Does not change math or performance........ and the MEC did not collapse nor break during the process........Larry

Bravo!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:56 pm 
Crown Grade

Mec took care of me even though it was something else. The shell wasn't centered over the hole in the plate so the primer was dragging. A little twist and it was centered, and I got a bigger punch. Like the OP, I reload a lot of shells not normally bought. Buckshot, short shells, black powder, and light loads - 12ga 3/4 and 7/8oz. The light shells break any claybird thrown and they're a whole lot cheaper. I have a 9000H, Grabber, two Jrs, and two 650s. All but the 650s were bought used or given to me. It's fun and it saves me money to reload. And I ain't talking 50 cents a box. Try to buy 3/4oz 12ga loads, or even 7/8 for that matter. They're not at Wal- Marts. When's the last time you saw black powder shells ? Reloading is fun. Just part of the game.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:09 pm 
Diamond Grade

GL15fan wrote:
Where does MEC fall as far as quality goes?

I have three MEC machines; two 600s and a 9000. My .410 gauge MEC might be older than I am (58) and still functions perfectly after producing God-knows-how-many rounds. I am very satisfied with MEC quality AND customer service/support.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:27 pm 
Crown Grade

desmobob wrote:
My .410 gauge MEC might be older than I am (58) . . .
Sorry Bob, I couldn't help myself; I was an engineer in a pervious life. :D The .410 number is the diameter of the bore, not the gauge. The gauge of the 410 Bore shotgun is actually 36. Now you know. {hs# :lol:

Retired

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:11 pm 
Diamond Grade

dubob wrote:
desmobob wrote:
Sorry Bob, I couldn't help myself; I was an engineer in a pervious life. :D The .410 number is the diameter of the bore, not the gauge. The gauge of the 410 Bore shotgun is actually 36. Now you know. {hs# :lol:

Sad part is, I did know that but fell to the common use of "gauge"...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:45 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Just went back through this thread, many really good thoughts and comments to be found. No matter the brand of machine one must always remember that the owner provides the brain and makes the decisions. Whether it is a diesel engine or a MEC loader it is necessary to learn and understand what you are working with. The term "operator error" comes to mind. The machine purchased does not relieve the owner from the process of thinking. The better the machine is understood the better the results will be...... Larry

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:07 am 
Crown Grade

dubob wrote:
desmobob wrote:

If we're being nit-picky, that's not correct either. It's actually 68 gauge. Europe gets it wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:59 am 
Crown Grade

Shoot2reload wrote:
dubob wrote:
desmobob wrote:

If we're being nit-picky, that's not correct either. It's actually 68 gauge. Europe gets it wrong.
I stand corrected and thank you for clarifying that. Further research indicates that several sources show the actual gauge designation of the diminutive .410 Bore shotgun as somewhere between 67 and 68 gauge. But at one time in the past, it was called a 36 GA and boxes of Remington shells were marked "(36 GA.) .410-2 1/2 IN. (12 MM)." Regardless, it is always incorrect to call it 410 'GA'.

Retired

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next