ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winchester AA Diamond Grade
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I ordered a flat of these for sporting clays. Has anyone tried to reload these yet? Just wondering but its not a make or break deal for me.

Post subject: Re: Winchester AA Diamond Grade
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:48 pm 
Field Grade

I haven't used them. I don't remember anything in the Lyman manual about them either. They appear to be high brass loads, right? Not really sure how you would go about developing loads for it seeing as there isn't much/any data. From what I've read they're nickel plated brass, so they should be reloadable.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:53 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

They aren't designed to be reloadable. The caps are steel, not brass.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Well if we couldn't reload hulls with steel heads on them we would be in trouble.......

The best thing to do is cut a hull in half length wise and see what's inside. What does it look like? A standard Winchester AA? Maybe more like a Cheddite?

One look will tell you how to reload them.

aka Mr. Tactful.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:46 am 
Crown Grade

Mark,is right on,any shell is reloadable,if the components are right for the shell?The quality of plastics are another matter?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:55 am 
Limited Edition

There are other Hulls that resemble these hulls , like Mark says , by cutting a few length wise
a good comparison can be made . Hull volume would be what I would be most concerned about .
How high the basewad was in the hull and what type of Wad I would have to use for the shot
density I planed on loading . Yep it's either or , not much else to a Hull but color ?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:19 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Pretty sad that Winchester would make an ultra-premium shell and put a steel head on it and label it as unreloadeable. If anything it should be the highest quality hull that could possibly be made.

[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:36 am 
Tournament Grade

Can we assume they will use Win 209 primers?

s/f Steve

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:46 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Get used to steel heads, there are very few hulls that have brass heads on them......really don't know what the big deal is about steel heads anyway. I shoot autoloaders in 12 and 16 gauge, they both have been fed a steady diet of steel head hulls for years with no issues.

Winchester does not say the Diamond Grade hull isn't reloadable, that is Randy Wakeman's point of view. They have a AA wad in them, hopefully they will reload just like any other AA hull, using the same components.

aka Mr. Tactful.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:09 am 
Limited Edition

I think Randy’s comment is more that these weren’t designed specifically to be reloaded. They certainly can be. However, I would view these as a shoot em and toss em the same way I view the newer Federal Grand shells. Too many better hulls available everywhere.

There won’t be any reloading guidance available yet. So, you’ll have to improvise and take the related risk. Again, a perfect reason to just toss them.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:29 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Mine have arrived. They are considered AAs and can qualify for the rebate. Did I hear that they cannot be used for trap as the shot is copper plated? They are 1250 fps. They are a hansom looking shell with high nickle (?) plated metal bases. Probably the only time I will buy them.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:47 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Skeet_Man wrote:
Pretty sad that Winchester would make an ultra-premium shell and put a steel head on it and label it as unreloadeable. If anything it should be the highest quality hull that could possibly be made.

That would drive up the cost even more. Not everyone reloads. Moreover, no one is reloading 8% antimony shot. For those that do, GC hulls are essentially free and if you're buying shells for the hulls . . . go Remington STS / Nitro 27s.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

From looking at the cut-away views on the Win website, the innards of the new Diamond grade AAs might be different than regular AA. It's hard to tell because the Diamond has higher "brass" and the cut-away does not go below the level of the brass. But, the head of the diamond is not as tall as the bass-wad of the regular AA is tall. In the Diamond, you don't see any base-wad extending above the brass. Maybe the OP can post some pix of what they are like.

And, the admonition against reloading might be ward people off from thinking they can use AA data. They do the same thing with AA steel hulls, they say on the side not to reload them.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I answered my own question about using them for trap. You cannot use copper plated shot for trap.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:54 pm 
Limited Edition

No one is saying you cannot reload them, it’s just a question of no reloading data and no definitive information as to base wad and hull taper. Is it like any other AA? Is it like a Clever/Cheddite hull? The website shows the traditional AA wad but very little else. Regardless, why bother. Toss em! Use Remington hulls or AA brass base to reload.

As much as I think this is wholly a marketing ploy, I just bought 4 flats. Just for fun and because I’m a sucker, too. . . . and, I’ll toss them. I’ll save a few to cut away for the sake of knowledge.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:47 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have two boxes of Winchester shells sitting in front of me, AA and Diamond Grade AA. Neither say anything about being reloadable. I also have a box of Remington Gun Clubs. On the box quote "Gun Club offers shooters the highest- quality, most reloadable hull available in a value priced target load."
If I made shotgun shells I'm not sure if I would brag about a shell being highly reloadable. Seems like bad business, unless they make more selling OEM wads primers and powder although I don't think Remington offers powder. Winchester does however.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:13 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

wrfish wrote:
I have two boxes of Winchester shells sitting in front of me, AA and Diamond Grade AA. Neither say anything about being reloadable. I also have a box of Remington Gun Clubs. On the box quote "Gun Club offers shooters the highest- quality, most reloadable hull available in a value priced target load."
If I made shotgun shells I'm not sure if I would brag about a shell being highly reloadable. Seems like bad business, unless they make more selling OEM wads primers and powder although I don't think Remington offers powder. Winchester does however.
For someone who doesn't reload, it makes no difference. For someone who does reload, it shouldn't make any difference either because he or she will know better. If one sees two boxes of shells on the shelf, is whether the box says reloadable likely cause one to choose one over the other?

The lawyers at Win seem to know better. Rem seems to be offering a warranty their hulls can be reloaded (an issue in case someone is injured as a result of a reload, them Rem might have to prove it wasn't the hull that caused it). The boxes the Rem Field and Clays come in says the same thing.

Last edited by Nebs on Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

wrfish wrote:
...unless they make more selling OEM wads primers...

Have you seen the cost of Remington primers? They make PLENTY on the ones they sell. Not sure who's buying them tho :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

DooFighter wrote:
wrfish wrote:
...unless they make more selling OEM wads primers...

Have you seen the cost of Remington primers? They make PLENTY on the ones they sell. Not sure who's buying them tho :lol:

Never bought any in the 12 years I have been reloading.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:51 pm 
Tournament Grade

wrfish wrote:

I'm not sure about that. I buy gun clubs, STS, etc., specifically because that's what I reload. I don't buy others, because I don't. (edited for clarity)

Last edited by mark-60 on Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.