ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best source to buy lead shot
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:32 am 
Utility Grade

Hello, all.

I'm new to reloading. Can anyone more experienced recommend some places to buy lead shot?

Thanks much

Post subject: Re: Best source to buy lead shot
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:33 am 
Field Grade

A group of members at my club do an annual component order from CAC Associates and they usually have great prices on Lawrence shot. This year was $35 a bag.
Semper Fi.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:09 am 
Limited Edition

If you can't get in on a club bulk purchase, your next best plan is to check out the local gun shops. Shipping on a small order is usually prohibitive.

You can usually buy shot at Cabelas/BassPro, but it'll be closer to $50/25 pound bag.

There's a place about an hour from me that has good prices on reloading supplies, so now that I have a decent sense of what I want I tend to stop in a couple times a year and walk out with $500 worth of stuff.

If you post a general location you'll probably get some suggestions. Some of the best places seem to be operated out of someones basement or garage.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:45 am 
Crown Grade

Yep, short of drop shipping in pallets of shot for a group purchase, two and few bags of shot get expensive fast due to shipping costs itself, plus you can have high mark ups from some retail shops as well. So best bet is to check around with the clubs to see if their is a reloading guy in your area that sells out of his truck if are not looking to have a pallet of shot trucked in instead.

Also, if you are competitive registered match shooter, then pick a brand of shot and stick with it. I bring this up since over time you will be reaming shot bushing to drop precise amounts, and switching between brands of shot can end up with the shot amount drops differing instead (different antimony's of different shot manufacturers, and coming up over weight on shot amounts if ammo checked).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:05 am 
Crown Grade

Our club mines the shot fall zones every 4 years. The lead is split between the miner for his time and effort and the club. It can be sold as is (reclaimed shot) or, sent out for melting down and redropping (redropped shot). Ours goes out for redropping. This shot is then sold to club members. The board usually decides on the mix of 7.5's, 8's, and 9's to order from the dropper.

In other words check around your area at various trap and skeet ranges and see if anyone has shot available. Mining is a pretty common practice and source of income for clubs.

One of Many

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:01 pm 
Presentation Grade

Local shop and a couple courses I shoot have shot at about 42.00 per bag plus sales tax, another 2 bucks. If out of stock I order from Roto Metals. 2x25 free shipping, about 100 dollars for the two. . Roto will mix bags, I keep # 7 & 6 on hand, have to get it from Roto. Very fast shipping Priority Mail.

My advise buy local if its reasonable and available, use Roto as back up.

Bass

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you are in the Midwest you might give McAllister shot a call in Iowa. I have bought from them twice and their prices were very competitive.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

I made a great deal recently on this site. Otherwise I look for Cabellas 10% Tuesday. First you get 10% off and if you spend more than $50.00 you get free shipping. The one caveat is I think, I don't know, you must have one of their credit cards. I recently got a good deal on some hard to find AA shells from them.

Good luck and be sure to share what you find out.

s/f Steve

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:30 pm 
Crown Grade

Local skeet or trap shooting gun club.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

CAC Associates is showing Spartan shot at $33/bag. First time I've seen that shot in a number of year. Seems to be the price leader, at the moment.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:17 am 
Tournament Grade

And if you are thinking about taking any road trips, do some advance research for your areas of travel. I live in Denver but typically buy shot in Michigan at Schanz Tire and Sporting in Otsego, Michigan whenever I happen to get back there to visit relatives in Grand Rapids. Otsego is just a little bit out of the way. It's a great place for shot, powder, primers and wads if you want Claybusters. And it helps if I drive my 3/4 ton pickup. I was pretty loaded down when I came back home this past summer with components for a trap team buddy and me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:07 am 
Tournament Grade

I'm paying $32/ bag from my local trap/skeet club. Still worth reloading for me, plus I can load 3/4oz and stretch the shot as far as possible.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:31 pm 
Field Grade

If you ever get through Iowa on I-80, plan a stop at Brownells. They have a retail store attached to their distribution site. You can order anything from there online store, including shot, and pick it up at the store. Saves shipping. One warning, they have a nice selection of pistols, rifles and shotguns there as well. Customer service second to none. I went in for a cleaning kit and, just look around. New shotgun followed me home. Oh well, its only money.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I bought Eagle shot today at a Scheels store in So. Dakota. The cost was $39.99 plus tax. Scheels has 27 stores in mainly the midwest but growing. They don't stock a lot but got 2 bags of 8 1/2, 1 bag of 8, and 1 bag of 9. They had a lot of #8. I went down the road two miles to Cabelas and bought the last bag they had (#9). Cabelas price for the same brand was $43.
All was good as I load mainly for skeet. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

From your forum name I'll guess you are somewhere in the northeast. It would help to know where in the N.E. you are located.

There used to be a great source of lead near Port Jarvis, NY, but I understand he's now only selling at shooting events.

- Ben Franklin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:25 pm 
Field Grade

wrfish wrote:
I bought Eagle shot today at a Scheels store in So. Dakota. The cost was $39.99 plus tax. Scheels has 27 stores in mainly the midwest but growing. They don't stock a lot but got 2 bags of 8 1/2, 1 bag of 8, and 1 bag of 9. They had a lot of #8. I went down the road two miles to Cabelas and bought the last bag they had (#9). Cabelas price for the same brand was $43.
All was good as I load mainly for skeet. :D
I check the local Scheels in Colorado, all the 7-9 was 43.99. one bag of 6# at $39.99

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:00 pm 
Crown Grade

John H wrote:
Our club mines the shot fall zones every 4 years. The lead is split between the miner for his time and effort and the club. It can be sold as is (reclaimed shot) or, sent out for melting down and redropping (redropped shot). Ours goes out for redropping. This shot is then sold to club members. The board usually decides on the mix of 7.5's, 8's, and 9's to order from the dropper.

In other words check around your area at various trap and skeet ranges and see if anyone has shot available. Mining is a pretty common practice and source of income for clubs.

Just curious how much lead you get every 4 years?

We have 8 trap/skeet fields, since the 50s, mined it a few years ago for the first time, got about 600,000 lbs.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:32 am 
Field Grade

Just curious. How is this minning of shot done? I know its non magnetic so thats out. Can't come up with any other idea.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:51 am 
Tournament Grade

Similar to mining operation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQGp59WokZA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:56 am 
Field Grade

well that was a silly quesiton. i did a quick google search and came up with all kinds of information on reclaiming lead shot. Sorry.