ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MEC 600 Jr quirks
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:54 pm 
Utility Grade

I picked up a Mec 600 Jr second hand. It came with an assortment of wads and Winchester AA hulls, the newer HS type. I have a few problems with my 600 Jr. I have loaded about 200 shells on it thus far. My recipe:

cb 4118-12b Windjammer
29 bushing drops 17.2 grains Hodgdon Clays
CCI209 primers
Winchester AA HS hulls

1 1/8 oz charge bar
7.5 shot - I dripped this myself. It's out of round as I'm still figuring out the whole process.

My main problem right now is that the three adjustments - cam, crimp and pre-crimp have all been wandering on me. It seems like I can't load 50 shells without having to make another adjustment. Is there a good solution for this? I posted elsewhere and someone suggested vibratite. I have some on it's way. I figured I should ask first though.

I have some issue getting a good crimp. I think the shell will start to buckle before I can get the right amount of crimp. I understand it should have the thickness of a dime.

Lastly, it seems that the primers aren't seating perfectly flush.

The press came with an assortment of wads. Here is what was included:
cb 3118-12a
cb 4118-12b
remington sp12
waa12 blue duster

Ideally I'd like to figure out what will really work so I can just buy bulk and bang them out.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: MEC 600 Jr quirks
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:11 am 
Diamond Grade

weeple2000 wrote:
My main problem right now is that the three adjustments - cam, crimp and pre-crimp have all been wandering on me. It seems like I can't load 50 shells without having to make another adjustment. Is there a good solution for this? .

Machine adjustments,once set correctly, can't change. Hull length does, so you might have to sort them into two groups, long and short. The other variable that can affect your finished product is how far you pull the handle down. Make sure you full stroke the handle all the time. Lastly, with a single stage MEC "how" you pull the handle and operate the bar makes a difference. You pull the handle 6 times for each charge bar cycle, and the more jarring / vibration you cause the more settling of the components you get in the bar and therefore into the next hull.

The picture of your press is nice but we cant tell what the settings are from looking at it.
Pictures of your shells are far more helpful.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:32 pm 
Diamond Grade

It's all in the set up. First precrimp try for a 1/8 inch hole,if the die sticks on the hull back off a bit. Then set your cam for the right taper,this can take a little trial and error and is where you can buckle the hull. Lastly set your crimp punch for depth. I use 600 Jrs in 12,16 and 20 mostly 16 and haven't made a adjustment on the 16 in 6 or 7 thousand rounds at least. I'll leave components to others for advice.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:59 pm 
Diamond Grade

weeple2000 wrote:
7.5 shot - I dripped this myself. It's out of round as I'm still figuring out the whole process.

I think its great you are making your own shot, but I also believe when you are just starting out reloading you have to apply the KISS principal and eliminate as many problem causing things as possible. So, since your shot is out of round and could cause drop weight issues and therefore fill problems it might be helpful to buy a bag of new.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:21 pm 
Utility Grade

I was trying to show the version of the press. The precrimp is the style with the bolt and two nuts. I believe the older version used a metal spacer rather than two nuts. I know for a fact that my precrimp wanders. I can see it very easily as the size of the hole in the middle of the crimp gets larger. As for the crimp stage, it may be more difficult to tell. I think part of what dictates the setting for the cam and the crimp is the amount of precrimp. If the precrimp is set lower, then the overall shell will be crimped lower.

Do you have the same configuration for your precrimp if you can get that many rounds out without any changes to it?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:43 pm 
Diamond Grade

weeple2000 wrote:
I know for a fact that my precrimp wanders. I can see it very easily as the size of the hole in the middle of the crimp gets larger.

How can it wander? Whats moving? If it is adjusted and locked down tight what wanders?I have 4 of those pre-crimpers on my machines and they have never moved. Now, hull OAL changes and therefore the pre-crimp will look different, short hull less pre-crimp tall hull more pre-crimp but the die cant move on its own. Or you are not pulling the handle down full stroke all the time.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:53 pm 
Diamond Grade

weeple2000 wrote:
I picked up a Mec 600 Jr second hand.

From the picture you posted your 600 looks clean and looks fairly new. No paint wear on the base. But machines can be painted. Something that might cause your issues is broken/worn cross link pins. Have you checked them?

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:35 pm 
Utility Grade

YevetS wrote:
weeple2000 wrote:
I picked up a Mec 600 Jr second hand.

From the picture you posted your 600 looks clean and looks fairly new. No paint wear on the base. But machines can be painted. Something that might cause your issues is broken/worn cross link pins. Have you checked them?

Steve

Are those parts 30, 33 and 34 in this diagram?

https://www.mecoutdoors.com/600-jr-mark-5-parts

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:09 pm 
Utility Grade

The under side of the crimp station looks recessed. Like there is a washer missing. Is that supposed to be like that?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:35 am 
Utility Grade

I just checked my pre-crimp again. I set it to the size of a primer, which is a bit smaller than a pencil. After running a few shells through the pre-crimp, it got looser. Is it possible that there isn't enough room in these AA HS hulls, causing the pre-crimp to back out?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:23 am 
Tournament Grade

If you were stuffing too much column height into the shell, usually either your crimp won't close or you will buckle the shell.

I'd unscrew that crimp starter and look at the threads. If it is moving around on you as you use it, worn threads could be a problem.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:05 am 
Diamond Grade

weeple2000
Part #30 is a spacer and does not wear. #33 are your 2 linkage arms and the holes in those can become an oval. Your cross link pins are part # 34,35 and 53 they can wear and I have seen a few break even on a handle machine. If needed the linkage arms you get from MEC, the cross pins ( bolts) a hardware store.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:13 am 
Diamond Grade

The under side of the crimp station looks recessed. Like there is a washer missing. Is that supposed to be like that?

There is no washer missing and the surface should be flat.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:16 am 

There should be a nut on the shaft of the Main crimper center punch. That nut locks it into position in the turret. That nut should be up and locked against the bottom surface of the turret. Without the crimper locked in place in the turret, you have no way to establish proper crimping. This can also lead to destruction of the threads in the turret and on the center punch of the crimper.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:19 am 
Crown Grade

Post deleted.

Last edited by BobK on Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:24 am 
Utility Grade

Had similar problem with my 650. Found the linkage bolts at rear of machine worn. Replaced bolts still loading fine

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:26 pm 
Field Grade

BobK wrote:
Curly is right. There is (or should be) a nut on top and a nut on the bottom of the threaded portion, where they meet the body of the press and both should be tightened after adjustment to assure they are locked in place.

The nut above and below are required to lock the setting, and if you don't have both of them, and tighten them securely, your adjustment will wander.

This.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:49 pm 
Diamond Grade

southdakbearfan wrote:
BobK wrote:
Curly is right. There is (or should be) a nut on top and a nut on the bottom of the threaded portion, where they meet the body of the press and both should be tightened after adjustment to assure they are locked in place.

The nut above and below are required to lock the setting, and if you don't have both of them, and tighten them securely, your adjustment will wander.

This.

The last picture the OP posted clearly shows a nut on the bottom of the die head. Without one on the top the pre-crimp post would fall out. Our only hope here is he left it loose.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:50 pm 
Tournament Grade

Looks like your press uses the plastic spindex crimp starter. Those do wear out at the ball/socket joint that holds the plastic die onto the stem, after years of use. A cheap replacement from MEC and several other places that carry MEC parts.

Like here:
https://www.ballisticproducts.com/MEC-S ... o/1308462/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:39 pm 

Curly N wrote:
There should be a nut on the shaft of the Main crimper center punch. That nut locks it into position in the turret. That nut should be up and locked against the bottom surface of the turret. Without the crimper locked in place in the turret, you have no way to establish proper crimping. This nut not tight against the underside of the turret can also lead to destruction of the threads in the turret and those on the center punch of the crimper.

Notice that I have edited my post above to clarify it to improve understanding of the message,