ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: #00 buckshot reloading data
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:24 am 
Crown Grade

Buckshot should be loaded in layers, so each caliber has a certain size that fits. The reason why is because the buckshot wants to go in any space above it when going down the barrel. That's why a filler is used with it also. You'll notice each gauge has a different size buck, at least factory loads do. In the 70s I was goose hunting with a 8ga O/U muzzle loading shotgun I had made. I was trying to shoot 30, 32cal round balls. The birds were decoying in at about 30 yards, and I couldn't hit anything. Got back to work and a friend showed me some photos from White Laboratories of BS that wasn't in layers and without filler to keep the shot in place as it went down the barrel. The BS would come out deformed because it was squeezing in the empty spaces and it would fly all over - no pattern at 25 yards. This only seems to happen if the shot is BS sized. I never had any luck, even with the filler and correct size BS.

Post subject: Re: #00 buckshot reloading data
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:31 pm 
Crown Grade

"I never had any luck, even with filler & correct size buckshot." Maybe something else is wrong? I think I remember you saying you have a vintage SXS, 10 ga.. What are the chokes? Not every shotgun will pattern buckshot well. There was a guy that hunted on the same club I hunted on when dogs & buckshot ruled. He earned the name "Old deer misser". One day one of the club members said (I'm paraphrasing), "Let's see what your gun is doing." So they tacked a piece of news paper on a pine tree at about 40 paces for "Old deer misser" to shoot at. It became abundantly clear why "Old deer misser" couldn't kill a deer. Only two or maybe three pellets hit the paper.
I thought buckshot was getting deformed from hitting the deer when I was in my 20's. Then it dawned on me, it was happening in the barrel. Buckshot was soft lead then & shot protectors & buffer were not in common use. The shot was getting flat sides & deformations from rubbing against the barrel & pressing against the other pellets. Buffer made a dramatic difference. Shot protection & hard pellets made it even better but you still had to have a good buckshot gun & the right size pellets. Most people that have experience will tell you that the larger pellets not only kill better, they usually also fly straighter.
I have about 5 lbs. of #4 swaged, high antimony buckshot I bought about two eternities ago for loading varmint loads. I think I will load some up in 10 ga.. I have 5, SXS 10 ga. guns if you count my Pedersoli muzzle loader. Two are Beretta model 410s, one is a Ugartechea (3.5" guns) & one is a steel barreled 2 7/8" LC Smith. I never loaded any buckshot for the Elsey
Good luck & let me know if I can help!