ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 3/4 oz. loads
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

This is definitely not an apples to apples comparison and ONLY my thoughts after 125 rounds of each load, shooting on 2 different FITASC Parcours alone with no one yipping in my ear and no outside distractions. Targets were 20 yards to 50 yards in distance, everything from a short lazy looping target to full on crossers that were curling and many variations in between.

The two loads were:

Federal Top Gun hull
Federal 209A
18.5 Grains 700-X
CB6100-12 wad
1 oz. West Coast Magnum #7.5
1,250 FPS (not sure about the pressure because I subbed the wad and the hull but the velocity was actually measured. It is derived from a Federal Gold Medal load)

Cheddite 16 gauge
Winchester 209
18.0 Grains American Select
DR-16 wad,
3/4 oz. West Coast Magnum #7.5

1339 FPS 9,480 PSI (Tom Armbrust tested the load)

Don't get your panties in a twist read what I have to say, before making judgments based on gauge and velocity.

I did my normal practice routine, choose a peg on the parcours, shoot each target as a single twice, then pick a simo pair (voice release can only do simos) and shoot the pair 4 times in a row. I did that multiple times on one peg per parcours, shot as many different pairs as I could. I shot all 125 rounds in the 16 ga. first and then shot the 12 ga. because the guns are completely different. The 12 gauge had a U3 Muller (0.020") The 16 gauge had a U2 (0.012") and a U3 (0.023").

I could not tell that I was using a 3/4 oz. load to break the targets. There wasn't any target I couldn't break with the 3/4 oz. load. Targets that I had trouble breaking with the 3/4 oz. load, I had trouble breaking using the 1 oz. load.

The one difference that I did notice was with the 16, which I normally use either 7/8 or 1 oz loads for clay targets......The U2 was not enough choke for my liking with the 3/4 oz. loads. Until today I had never seen a difference in the hits between the two chokes until you were shooting the 50 yard stuff. Today I could see the difference at shorter distances. The U3 chokes in both gauges gave similar results even with the 50 yard targets.

I developed the 3/4 oz. load several years ago so I wouldn't beat up the wood some of my older shotguns with excessive recoil and I normally load them down to 1,250 FPS. Today I didn't load them down.

I will not give up my 1 oz. loads any time soon. Probably not until there is a rule change. I do think that there is the potential to give up a few targets using the 3/4 oz. load and I am not willing to find out the hard way in competition. Since you normally get punches by only 1 or 2 targets, it isn't time to gamble. Now in the fall when I put my 12 gauge away and shoot the 16 for sporting clays, I might try the 3/4 oz. load out then and see what happens. Might just try it for side events too.

aka Mr. Tactful.
NSCA#544066

Post subject: Re: 3/4 oz. loads
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

FWIW, the 12 gauge is a Benelli SS, 30" barrel that I shoot Sporting and FITASC with. The 16 gauge is a Browning Citori, 28" barrels that I shoot some Sporting with but mostly use it to hunt with.

aka Mr. Tactful.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:38 am 
Diamond Grade

interesting post, good data, thx!
I shoot all my skeet with 3/4oz (12, 20, 28) or 1/2oz 410. 16ga I do 1oz Herters. That's a lot easier at 22yds and easy tracks, than your shots. It takes someone like you with experience and skill to do a test like this, for me to believe longer range 3/4oz info. Thanks much for doing it and posting!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:13 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Dave,

Thanks for the kind words. I was pretty surprised with those 3/4 oz. loads. I started out on the toughest Parcours, which are all fairly long targets that are set to dip, curl, fade out and in etc. The targets are reset often and I hadn't ever seen these targets before. Probably not the best comparison but I figured if I can break these targets with 3/4 oz. load in a shotgun that really isn't a clays shotgun, that would give me a good idea on what to expect. Typically I break about 5 - 7 targets more per 100 using the Benelli over the Citori on a real sporting clays course.

At some point I will probably buy some 3/4 oz. wads and try it with the 12 gauge.....just not too sure the Benelli will cycle the 3/4 oz. loads......although it does fine with 7/8 oz. loads.

aka Mr. Tactful.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:18 am 
Presentation Grade

Good stuff, Mark. I once had a little 16 ga. Belgian OU that I wanted to baby a little with light loads. The one time I shot half a sporting clays course with it using 3/4 oz loads I recorded a 46/50. Maybe a lucky day, but it impressed me nonetheless.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:44 am 
Crown Grade

I agree about the chokes. When I first started loading 3/4oz 12 gauge, I found the patterns with the IC to not be as good as I wanted them to be. Switching to either a LM or M seemed to make a big difference. I run my 12 ga loads at 1275 (over a chrono) and they work great for practice.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:24 am 
Crown Grade

I've shot 3/4oz loads for years in the 12ga, but the CB-0175-12 is used, one designed for 3/4oz loads. I use to load em at 1200fps but found they pattern too tight shooting skeet. Now I load over 1300fps and I get pretty nice breaks out to 40 yds with just I/C or LM. About all my shooting is with old SxSs, so light loads are my friend seeing how they don't recoil hardly at all. Just had a nice round of SCs using them.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:25 pm 

dogchaser37 wrote:
Dave,

Thanks for the kind words. I was pretty surprised with those 3/4 oz. loads. I started out on the toughest Parcours, which are all fairly long targets that are set to dip, curl, fade out and in etc. The targets are reset often and I hadn't ever seen these targets before. Probably not the best comparison but I figured if I can break these targets with 3/4 oz. load in a shotgun that really isn't a clays shotgun, that would give me a good idea on what to expect. Typically I break about 5 - 7 targets more per 100 using the Benelli over the Citori on a real sporting clays course.

At some point I will probably buy some 3/4 oz. wads and try it with the 12 gauge.....just not too sure the Benelli will cycle the 3/4 oz. loads......although it does fine with 7/8 oz. loads.

I have never seen a Benelli that would cycle a 3/4 oz loading.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:25 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Me either, I don't have high hopes that it will cycle 3/4 oz. loads.
.....and I don't think it is something I would invest much time in.

aka Mr. Tactful.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:54 am 
Crown Grade

my Benelli cant do 3/4 oz. i thought about ramping some up too get the minimum cycling.
its a monty, and it is well cared for and lubricated. it can cycle 7/8oz loads at 1450. i had one stoppage or 2 in a hundred. anything afterthat its a dream gun.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:18 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My Model 1100 Tournament Skeet will cycle them most of the time and both my VersaMax and my Skeet Super X One Skeet model will cycle them all of the time.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

cookoff013,

My SS will cycle 7/8 oz. @ 1250 FPS. Haven't tried 7/8 oz. at a lower velocity, not really all that interested in it to be honest.

I just wanted to try 3/4 oz. at something other than skeet to satisfy my curiosity.

Just like every other time I have tried a different load, the actual results are really not different than any other load I have ever tried.

It comes down to this for me.

Using a 3/4 oz. load is giving up something in the neighborhood of 88 pellets over a 1 oz. load. That is a 26% reduction in pellet count. If the person standing next to me, with similar skills is shooting a 1 oz. load and I am using 3/4 oz., I am putting myself at a disadvantage, and that doesn't strike me as an intelligent decision.

As far as recoil goes. I shoot an autoloader with 1 oz. loads at 1250 FPS......recoil is not an issue.

Casonet,

Yeah I know that gas guns will cycle 3/4 oz. loads. I only tried 3/4 oz. loads for ha-ha's, and I don't see spending another $1500 to $2000 just to be able to shoot a load I won't ever use.

aka Mr. Tactful.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I load 3/4 oz in everything larger than the .410, because I no longer shoot competitive skeet and it’s just fine for casual shooting with the boys.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

casonet,

For having fun, that seems like a perfect plan for 3/4 oz. loads. No recoil and the targets break.

aka Mr. Tactful.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It also saves a little money on the shot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

A Fabarm XLR5 will cycle 3/4 oz. I had some left over from shooting skeet, using N100 and Extralite powders. N100 is faster than TiteWad and for me burns cleaner. I put in a U3 and was surprised how effective they were at sporting clays. I shot them after shooting the 100 bird corse to work on certain targets. My subconscious could tell the difference on recoil even with a auto. I am thinking of loading more for practice purposes. What I fount out the 35+ targets I could see a more definitive non centered target break. This for me would be helpful in knowing were my shot was at, and the recoil reduction is a plus.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:16 pm 
Utility Grade

I use the 3/4 oz for shooting clays. They work good so far over 6,000 no problems. Use pump shotguns.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:58 pm 
Utility Grade

I am a " newbee " regards shotshell reloading and am looking for information how to SAFELY convert 20 gauge 7/8 oz shot load date to load 1/2 oz, 5/8 oz and 3/4 oz shot and/or slug loads for a 20 gauge Mossberg SA20.

I have the Lyman 5th Edition, BPI's Advantages Manual in addition to other load data info, with ONLY BPI providing data but for THEIR stocked Euro hulls -

I have Rem Prem STS hulls mostly with WIN 209, CCI 209 and CCI 209M primers.

There has to be " SOME FORMULA / CONVERSION TABLE " to be able to reduce the powder charge in relation to the shot / slug charge to accomplish producing a safe reduced recoil load.

I have commercial made slugs by Remington ( Slugger ) which have 1/2 oz and 5/8 oz slugs,
Also Winchester has the Super X 3/4 oz slug @ 1600 FPS

Therefore, it is obviously DOABLE !

Clue me in as to WHERE and/or HOW I can access the necessary info to emulate what the Big Boys are doing !

Thanks in advance, Ed

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:19 pm 
Crown Grade

From 7/8 to 3/4 drop less shot in the proper 3/4oz wad; works great

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:59 pm 
Utility Grade

oneounceload wrote:
From 7/8 to 3/4 drop less shot in the proper 3/4oz wad; works great

Could you possibly expound on that ?

I assumed that my QUESTION was EXPLICIT -

Whereas your REPLY is VAGUE