ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 3/4 oz. loads
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:36 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

As my mother used to say: "you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar." Being confrontational will not cause people to want to help you.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:00 am 
Crown Grade

ETN wrote:
I am NOT here to " cause a rukus " there are discrepancies which I am seeking logical answers to.
Obviously, the questions that seek answers to are ' ruffling feathers ' for reasons which, honestly, are unknown to me .
On one hand it is permissible to alter published load data while on the other hand it is taboo.
I am located on the West Coast, not that it matters, but I would more greatly appreciate any information that you could provide so that I might be able to contact a proximate ballistics lab so that I might ascertain the information that I am looking for.
The BIGGEST concern upon reading ALL of the books and posted info regards shotshell loading is PRESSURE and to NOT EXCEED 12K PSI -
I respect that - however, a chronograph does NOT afford one THAT information - ONLY VELOCITY.
I have NO QUALMS about PAYING for ANYTHING - that should be obvious as to what I purchased to get where I am.

Thank you for your time !

The people here, are a fountain of information. i`m pretty sure here there are more than a million shells worth of loading experience. some commercial some domestic, some experimental. what you will find is folks willing to give there expertise in whatever they are loading. be it slug, shot, buck or other.
with the simple submitting of shells for test is fraught with complications, that you may not realize. such as statistical analysis, conformity to saami and sample batch analysis based on sample size. so even simple questions can have very detailed answers.
it is conventional to reduce payload to account for these 3/4oz loads, but the parent load needs to be good. infact that parent load maybe / probably is a reduced load from the previous traditional (~1oz).
i test alot and publish data. i have a lab analyse my data, then i publish or dont. that my aim.
i`ve tested enough loads to have a broad understanding of what happens. but because ive learned so much, my advice is always "find dedicated published data". even though conventional "drop less shot" still is normal, and acceptable.

the questions or statements in this thread has boiled down to, "get them tested". and thats really good advice. infact, if this thread appeard anywhere else, it would come to the same conclusion.

i`ve tested so much nontoxic ammo, that that pressure pulse cant really be second guessed. the wad, and the shot load seem to work in convention, based on compressional section, volumetric take up and payload weight, all seem to have significant influence of the powders charicteristics, and coupled with primer and basewad height (volume) and shell length, crimp height, crimp style can throw more mud, in the murky reloading waters.

reloading is not exactly that simple.
this post is typed with the utmost respect. for your good self, and the exellent friends here.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:53 pm 
Diamond Grade

Here, ETN, I answered you over on the 20ga 3/4oz Thread of Justice where you posted. I said the same as everyone here but in more detail to satisfy some of your confusion/questions.
https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 8#p4349628

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:21 pm 
Utility Grade

Dave in AZ wrote:
Here, ETN, I answered you over on the 20ga 3/4oz Thread of Justice where you posted. I said the same as everyone here but in more detail to satisfy some of your confusion/questions.

Dave, the irony of the entire situation is - it was YOU that I initially wanted to contact for your input - especially after reading what you had posted on the above referenced thread.

However, I was uncertain if you were still around as I have not seen a post from you in awhile.

You definitely have your act together and are willing to share, up to a certain extent, the result of your experimentations.

I will discuss this further with you on the referenced link that you provided above -

Apparently because I will NOT accept the usual answers and question what is provided -

It appears that I am " persona non gratis " on this thread and will acquiesce to the posters here and take my quest elsewhere !

Ed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:22 pm 
Crown Grade

WOW..........what an attitude...............

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:35 am 
Limited Edition

ETN wrote:
Dave in AZ wrote:

Dave, the irony of the entire situation is - it was YOU that I initially wanted to contact for your input - especially after reading what you had posted on the above referenced thread.

However, I was uncertain if you were still around as I have not seen a post from you in awhile.

You definitely have your act together and are willing to share, up to a certain extent, the result of your experimentations.

I will discuss this further with you on the referenced link that you provided above -

Apparently because I will NOT accept the usual answers and question what is provided -

It appears that I am " persona non gratis " on this thread and will acquiesce to the posters here and take my quest elsewhere !

Ed

You just talk too much and don't know when to stop.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:43 am 
Diamond Grade

My Mother always said God gave you two ears and one mouth because He wanted you to listen twice as much as you spoke.

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:35 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have done just what Curly suggested. I shot Skeet with 17.5 grains of Titewad and 7/8 ounce of shot, using the correct CB wad for that load. I loaded some 3/4 ounce loads using the 3/4 ounce CB wad, other stuff the same. They worked fine and I couldn't tell the difference in casual scores.

Hodgdon's lists the pressure for the 7/8 ounce load and it is low. They don't list the 3/4 ounce load but the pressure is obviously less.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:28 pm 
Presentation Grade

For those that may not know, and saves a lot of searching the powder manufacturers web site.
Here is the link to the 3/4 oz data.

[url]. http://www.claybusterwads.com/index.php ... -load-data[/url]