ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Re loader -advice welcome
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:32 pm 
Field Grade

What a great forum to learn before I start on my reloading efforts.

I'm taking the advice from the sticky on KISS.

I'm using AA Shells in 12 and 28ga, I have recipes for my loads, before I bought any primers, wads, or powder. These components are all on order.

My setup - PW 375 in 12ga, and 28ga tooling and bushings on the way
All of my guns are O/U.

Advice Area:

I can't get the 12 gauge shells to seat in the 375 12 gauge holder. I've tried once shot AA and Federal hulls, they both won't fully seat enough to move the shell to the next station. It turns fine with no shell. It also worked before I bought it, as I had the previous owner demonstrate.

I'm going to follow the manual to see if I can adjust it, but seems odd that it worked fine before I purchased it.

My press is not yet mounted and it was before I purchased it, so maybe after I mount it it will work better.

I have no place to mount this yet, meaning I don't have a bench anywhere. Plenty of places in the house to set this up, including a dedicate room in the basement.

Are there any commercial products designed for setting up a reloading room?
Anyone have a perfect solution they want to share?

If not I'm going the craigslist/facebook marketplace route for a "Work Bench"

Post subject: Re: New Re loader -advice welcome
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:53 pm 
Crown Grade

I like the Harbor Freight workbench set up,it is not pricey,but it is ready to put together and should do
everything,that you would need and more?If I hadn't made my own with free material's,I would have bought one.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:35 pm 
Field Grade

I priced out building a bench - I think I'll just go that route so I can get the exact dimensions for the reloading room.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:14 pm 
Crown Grade

I bought one of those "Gorilla" brand storage racks that are 4' long by ~19" deep. I built a top out of 3/4" plywood, doubled up, glues and screwed and fastened to the racking. (I used half the racking so it it 3' high}. My MEC Grabber is situated in the middle with wads on one side and hulls on the other; the shelves below hold components. I can either stand and load or use a bar-stool height shop stool to sit on. The other half of the rack is across from it with my Hornady Lock and Load metallic press

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:54 am 
Crown Grade

I use a 2x12 mounted on the side of a work bench in my room in the basement at the height I wanted for reloading when I sit. My 9000H and Mec Jr are there side by side. On another bench made to work at while sitting there's a Grabber and another two Jrs set up for 10 and 410. In a different room I used a old kitchen table and mounted two 650s in 20 and 28ga. All my work benches were home made from 2x4s and 1/2" finished plywood for the top. I just started loading for the 410 after loading for all the other gauges for decades. What a PITA. I also am trying the H110 and find it wants to make the charge bar stick. It's a fine ball powder. A friend who had the same problem, just bought something for 410s that suppose to be a flake powder. He's going to let be know how it works out. If it good we'll chip in and buy a 8# jug. You might want to buy a scale to check your drops. I like the digital ones. You can buy one from BPI or Precision Reloading pretty cheap - around 30$. Using Mecs to reload, I have a number of adjustable charge bars so I don't have to go through the pain of changing bushings or bars for different loads. The scale comes in handy to dial in powder and shot drops. You can also contact Hodgdons and Alliant powder companies and get a free reloading guide sent to you. Look em up on the web. I find them much easier to use than their web sites or the Lyman book. Good luck and welcome abort to reloading.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:09 am 
Field Grade

bladesmith wrote:
...You might want to buy a scale to check your drops. I like the digital ones.

Good call - I did order a digital scale to check the drops.

I also decided to do something like this guy did (link below).
Kit is on the way from Amazon, and I'm heading to the lumber yard to get some 2x4's.

https://www.sniperforums.com/forum/reloading/25494-my-first-reloading-bench.html