ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remington ShurShot Heavy Dove Load 1-1/8 oz.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

FWIW, disassembled the above load today, 246 #6 shot weighing 488.5 grains, RXP-12 wad,18.5 grains of Green Dot, the primer was not the all brass colored STS that you usually see in Remington shells, it had a copper colored shell around the brass colored firing pin and the flash hole was a little bigger than a STS. Load was rated at 1255 FPS. Some people don't like the 6 point crimp but these are a great loading hull.

Post subject: Re: Remington ShurShot Heavy Dove Load 1-1/8 oz.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:09 pm 
Crown Grade

Come on, it is 2020, post a pic when you dissect a shell! Copper colored head? Sounds like a great shell for early pheasant season or a game farm. Always cracks me up when I hear magnums going off at a game farm...again and again.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:47 am 
Tournament Grade

Point taken F&F, I've tried IMGUR without much success, but most people want to see what powders are being used in factory loads and this one was easy to identify.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:26 am 
Diamond Grade

Remington is using an ATK product?

I guess if federal can have Rio make shells for them [shrug] and Winchester gets stuff from Nobel sport.

I guess whatever is on the shelf is on the shelf and we got no idea [and most don't care] what's in the box if it goes bang.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:15 am 
Tournament Grade

Those were the preferred factory loads, but in #7.5 or #8 shot for helice back in the day. At the time, targets had not been standardized by FITASC as they are now and some were being mfg. in Mexico from some rather extra tough plastic(s) that took a lot of killing. It was thought that the relatively soft shot in those rounds did the best job against those very hard to separate targets.

Its all 28 gram/1 ounce loads now and a much more brittle plastic is used for the target wings

The hulls will reload same as any of the Remington Gun Clubs.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:03 pm 
Crown Grade

al1969brown wrote:
Point taken F&F, I've tried IMGUR without much success, but most people want to see what powders are being used in factory loads and this one was easy to identify.

I know what you mean, I haven't posted a pic on here in years. And it appears my sig line jpg is gone as well. I guess we can post directly on here but size is limited to 256kB so that is reducing the size to 1024x768 or 800x600 to be a small enough file.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:56 pm 
Limited Edition

Funny how shell mfg'ers call 1 1/8 oz a heavy load.........IT'S NOT........A heavy load is 3 1/4 drams x 1 1/4 oz of shot in 12 ga..........Whom do they think they are fooling???????????

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Years ago when Remington was marketing the Peters brand, target loads of 20 ga shells had the exact recipe printed on the box using Unique powder, so yes, it’s not without president that they would use a commercially available powder. Olin did it all the time with Winchester powders and even Federal with Alliant powders

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:29 pm 
Limited Edition

I have an old Peters box for their 12 gauge target loads. The top end flap lists four recipes for reloading. One with 17 grains of 700X (1150 fps) and the other 18 grains of 700X (1200 fps). It also lists 17 grains of Red Dot (1150 fps) and 18 grains of Red Dot (1200 fps). One can infer from this that the recipes do not duplicate the exact factory load, but produce a reload with similar performance.

FWIW, the recipes also say 9/8 shot, RXP-12 wad, 97* primer.