ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Federal brass washed hulls?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:14 pm 
Limited Edition

:D
wmhjr wrote:
FYI - a few things....

Called Claybusters. Apparently, the CB6100-12 is the correct wad for that hull and is supposed to work correctly. The CB2100-12 for the non brass washed hull is correct. Claybusters kindly offered to send a batch of sample CB2100s for me to test. Very nice of them and I'm looking forward to trying them.

As for primers - I typically use the Cheddite 209s and they have pressed into any and all of the federal hulls (silver, brass washed) that I've tried. Just an FYI. My only issues have been the dished crimps.

:D me too !

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:51 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

This response is for anyone using a semi auto with the various Federal hulls. Those with the higher brass washed base are made by RIO and require a larger Euro primer such as Fiocchi. American primers are slightly smaller and will slip out upon ejection, likely ending up in the back of the receiver. Damage to the shell lifter can happen; it did to me. The hull with the lower brass washed base is made by federal and any American made primer will fit. The Federal unwashed steel base may include a paper base wad... once and done as noted above. I like the Federals because they are plentiful and have an 8-point crimp. I use the Euro made PT1205 wad for 7/8oz and CB6100 for 1oz, both Red Dot powder.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:27 am 
Crown Grade

I can't say anything about the primer pocket other than buy Euro size primers or resize them. What is the big deal about using a longer wad? Somebody must have one. A lot of folks put something in the shotcup to take up space. I don't recommend Cheerios due to the potential mouse problem. Federal hulls are great for a lot of hunting loads. I don't shoot at a club & don't have any dumpsters to dive in. I also shoot SXSs so I don't have a feeding issue. That is why I reload any & all hulls as long as they are good! I get most of my hulls from dove shoots & duck blinds. Not cutting down your sport or anything but there is another world out there. I loaded shotgun shells, & metallics for some 20 years before I learned skeet shooters reload!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:28 pm 
Limited Edition

Haha.....Once you start reloading shotshells there's this little Bug that bites you on the Ace
as you can't pass up a empty hull on the ground without looking at it , then your eyes start shifting
side to side when no ones around the Dumpster , it doesn't take long before you gain that slick move
of falling head first while reaching for that NEW once fired hull in the corner .
Don't forget to peek before getting out , as , it might be my turn next !

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:05 pm 
Crown Grade

Tell me about it! I was reorganizing my reloading supplies the other day. I've got so many hulls in 3 gauges I couldn't wear them all out if I lived 100 more years. I don't have to worry about finding different hulls for "color coding"!