ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Buckshot reloading questions
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:56 am 
Field Grade

Excuse my ignorance, but I have some questions about buckshot reloading. I have been a metallic reloader for years, but the only shotgun reloading I have done is to make birdshot shells for my 1920 Ithaca Flues. That project ended well with the help of this forum.

I acquired some #0 buckshot and have a good quantity of Hodgdon Clays on hand. I would like to make some plinking buckshot rounds to blow up watermelons and water jugs at short range. I would be shooting these in my old Winchester 97 (converted) trench gun and short barreled Mossberg 500.

I have read my shotgun reloading manual and Hodgdon’s web site. My confusion is whether I can use bird shot loads to propel buck shot. When I look up buck shot I do not even see Clays as an option.

A published load per Hodgdon’s web site is:
12 gauge.
1oz lead
18.4gn Hodgdon Clays
CCI209 primer
2 ¾ Winchester AA hull
WAA 12 SL wad.

Using 9 pellets of #0 buckshot which is just under an ounce (It stacked perfectly in a test hull with the use of an undershot cork spacer), would this cartridge be safe to shoot? My thinking (and correct me if I am wrong) the primer, powder, wad, and hull selection would safely fire at the listed pressure and propel the ounce of lead (bird shot or buck shot) out the barrel at approximately 1235 fps.

I understand the weight and drag of the individual pellets might affect the range and pattern of the shot to the point where it would not be ethical to hunt with. However, my intended use is to blast watermelons and water jugs at short range, say 35 feet or so. Shouldn’t these rounds be safe and effective?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Buckshot reloading questions
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:03 am 
Tournament Grade

Visit the Ballistics Products website and download or order the printed Buckshot loading manual. Perhaps the best reference you can have.
https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Downl ... fo/XMBUCK/
This is the download version - same price as the printed, but you get the data right away.

In general, buckshot does not load like birdshot because the stacked height of buckshot is larger than the dumped height of shot of the same weight. This means different wads (like cork or fiber) get used instead of the "lots of empty space" plastic shot wads used in conventional loads, and slower powders are used with buckshot to hold better patterns and get higher velocities.

There is another thread on this very forum that opened about four days ago about this topic. Might read that over. Titled "#00 buckshot reloading data"

Good luck, garrisonjoe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:32 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for the info. I downloaded the Ballistic Products manual. There is a lot of information in there. I perused through it, but will sit down and thoroughly read it this week before I do any reloading.

Page 10 tells me that this load should work safely for my purpose even if there are better powder and wad options.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:05 pm 
Crown Grade

I have the BPI manual but probably not the latest edition. I have been buying their products since the 70's but am not a fan of their load data. I have much more confidence in the Lyman data. There is not a lot of good buckshot data out there. You might want to consider working up your own based on lead shot data & having them pressure tested!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:29 am 
Field Grade

I read the downloaded manual last night. They recommend using a straight walled hull and a 5 point fold crimp. If I am going to do this I am better off using Cheddite hulls which I have many of, and a 5 point crimp. I will have to see if #0 buckshot fits in the wads I have or if I need to order specialty ones (which I might do anyway after a little more research).

If they fit, I will have to try using Clays powder for this as they are very close to the loads that I use for mild birdshot plinking with my Mossberg Shockwave only with buckshot.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:24 am 
Crown Grade

In the future, there are 6 and 8 point crimps, not 5 point.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

Yes, please read manual more carefully if you think the manual says a five point crimp is to be applied.

You will almost certainly find that a good charge of Blue Dot or similar magnum type shotgun powder is the right thing to use for buckshot, not Clays. Both being "shotgun powders" does not magically make Clays a good buckshot powder.

Good luck, garrisonjoe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:29 pm 
Crown Grade

Yes, I agree, powder like clays is not the best for loading buckshot for what buckshot is normally used for & all of my buckshot loads have been predominately built up wad columns. However the OP is only using them for killing watermelons & water jugs at close range & tracking down cripples is not a problem, so it should work for him.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:05 am 
Limited Edition

BPI has some Buckshot loads using "STEEL" powder.
More velocity a little less kick.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:44 am 
Crown Grade

870Slugger wrote:

Oh no, not again! :roll: :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:15 am 
Limited Edition

[quote="oyeme"

Oh no, not again! :roll: :wink:[/quote]

Not sure where you're going with this ?????
Just trying to help a guy out.
{hs#

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:53 am 
Crown Grade

oyeme wrote:
870Slugger wrote:

Oh no, not again! :roll: :wink:

Yep, again, here with the clear violations of Newtonian Physics. {F* {F* {F* {F* {F* {F*

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:27 pm 
Limited Edition

Steel is a "slower " Powder than most shotshell powders.
Normally it can moves bigger payloads to higher speeds without over-pressuring.
It also should slow the felt recoil.
So yes apples to apples Slightly less felt recoil than a faster powder trying to move BIG payloads.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:58 pm 
Presentation Grade

I'm impressed you can physically detect a difference of burn rate less than five milliseconds.I don't know anyone that can. Some of us think they can. I can't.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:45 pm 
Limited Edition

You do know there is burn rate charts?
Just resiting Information I read in the reload books is all.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:30 pm 
Presentation Grade

Please don’t take this as a snark reply. Recoil reduction by slower powder has been discussed multiple times throughout multiple threads. Some believe that the difference can be felt by humans and some of us do not. I firmly believe not. The resultant energy is the same and over too short of a time interval. Sir Issac is still relevant in the macro world.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:26 am 
Crown Grade

Just because you are wrong doesn't mean you are not entitled to your opinion.