ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New Fiocchi 16 ga hull problem
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:58 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

^^^^^^YES^^^^^^

With all the wads we have, even in 16 gauge, you can usually figure something out without adding stuff to the load.

In this case the OP just wants to use up the SP-16 wads he has for 1 oz. loads. 24 ga. card wads will work.

aka Mr. Tactful.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:08 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Many of the recipes call for the insertion of cards or felt fillers of some kind and yes, I’ve used Cheerios on occasion with very good success. There is no problem loading the 16 for field applications. The problem with components comes with down loading for target or light bird loads with 7/8 oz or even 3/4 oz of shot especially in roomy hulls like Federals and Fiocchi. Even the Claybuster pink 7/8 oz wad to too roomy. The ONLY wad that I’ve found that answers the need is the DR16. I shoot 16 a lot for target games, just because I enjoy it and I’ve tried lots of combinations. For my purposes, I minimize the problem by starting with the right hull. Long gone Winchester compression formed are hands down the very best but are near impossible to find. Remington black SP hulls with plastic basewads are nearly as good and are still available. I get about 2 reloads with Federal purple with paper basewads. I just gave away about 1000 because I don’t like them, and I threw away the few Fiocchi that I had.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:23 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The CB0078-16 is meant for the Remington hull.....and it works perfectly.

The DR-16 works in all 16 gauge hulls.

Again that isn't what the OP is concerned with. He just wants to use up the SP-16's he has.

aka Mr. Tactful.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Understood. He is having problems with the SP16 wad as I understand. I was referring to the SP16 Hull. I finally used up all of my SP16 Wads by inserting a Cheerio with the shot, but I’m only loading 7/8 oz of shot over 15 gr of Green Dot

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:40 pm 
Field Grade

Thank you all for the comments but now this raises another question for me. How important is a specific wad in a load recipe? For instance, I was looking for a 1oz. 16 ga. load for a little sporting clays and some fall chakar hunts at the local game farm to get my GWP ready come fall. I opened the lyman manual and found the 16 ga. section and the only hulls that I can find to purchase right now are fiocchi and cheddite so I chose fiocchi. All 1 oz loads for that hull call for either a SP16 or SG16 wads with a few different powders. Can I use a DR-16 with say 21 gr. of Universal and not have issues with pressure? I ask only because shotshell reloading is new for me. I've reloaded metallic for quite sometime and I'm aware of the issues to wath for there. I'm shooting these rounds out of some older remington pumps and just want to make sure I'm safe.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:42 am 
Crown Grade

What is the listed pressure for the load?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:23 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Loading 1 oz. with the DR-16 can be done, but it is going to be a tight fit.

The SG-16 is a better choice.

DR-16's are tough to find right now. As far as I know DownRange is not making them at present.

aka Mr. Tactful.
NSCA#544066

Post subject: New Fiocchi 16 ga hull problem
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:46 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If the DR16 doesn’t fit. Then the SG16 might be a better choice or the Claybuster 16 for 7/8 oz. it’s the wad with the nub in the shot cup.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

As an aside the SG16 is the very same wad that Activ used in their 1 oz 16 ha loads and was sold as Activ branded wads as the T-28. It should work well in any straight wall hull. Activs were almost straight wall hulls,

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My little Activ loading booklet says it was the G-28. There was also a G-32 made to hold 1-1/8 oz which was somewhat similar to the BP 12-gauge Commander. I still have quite a number of them.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:13 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yes, you are correct about the “G” rather than the “T”. My mistake.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:02 am 
Field Grade

Painter,

The listed pressure with a SP16 wad is 9300 psi. The other variable is I'm working with new, preprimed hulls that I assume are primed with fiocchi primers. There are only 2 loads listed in the manual for fiocchi hulls and fiocchi primers. Both call for SP16 wads and one is green dot and the other is longshot powders. Green Dot is at 10,000 psi while Longshot is at 7300.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:22 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Green Dot is frequently used for 1 oz loads in the 16 ga. The charges that I’ve seen range from about 16 gr up to about 20 gr depending on the hull. I stay on the low end because my uses are strictly target

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:38 pm 
Crown Grade

Flyfrod wrote:
Painter,

The listed pressure with a SP16 wad is 9300 psi. The other variable is I'm working with new, preprimed hulls that I assume are primed with fiocchi primers. There are only 2 loads listed in the manual for fiocchi hulls and fiocchi primers. Both call for SP16 wads and one is green dot and the other is longshot powders. Green Dot is at 10,000 psi while Longshot is at 7300.

IMO, you're playing with too many variables to safely make any assumptions about component substitution.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:42 pm 
Field Grade

So being to impatient person that I am, I found one of those small boxes of Apple Jacks cereal and used those as my undershot card. I'm not a fan of the loose fit of the SP16 wads but I got some damn nice crimps using the cereal. I just did 25 rounds using 23 gr. of Longshot. I'm going to go bust some clays tomorrow. I'm curious to see how these do. I did end up with one miss as the cereal stuck to the end of the drop tube. I could hear the cereal crunch as I did the final crimp. I certainly will use better components for field loads but these will for some target shooting.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:47 pm 
Presentation Grade

Don't fall in love with that load. It's a bad match wad diameter for hull diameter, and Longshot is one of the worst for powder migration. Shoot 'em up, but never rely on them for a hunting load.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Drop the cereal in after seating the wad and before dropping the shot. No more plugged drop tubes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:03 pm 
Presentation Grade

16 with Euro hulls most difficult thing I load. Went through many including 16 G society data. Finally started using Hodgdons on line manual. Its the most up to date for 16s. Admit I don’t load 1 oz, In 16, do load some 7/8 & Lot of 3/4 in Cheddite 16 G Hulls.

Also note Alliant does not list any 1 oz 16 G loads on line & only 1 using Green dot, its 1 1/8 oz. Older Alliant manuals did. I Prefer Alliant powders & use a lot of Green Dot in 20 G, 16 I use Hodgdon because of the Published loads & Cheddite due to good supply of empties.

Have a look.

Bass