ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Filler wads
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:28 am 
Utility Grade

I'm interested in using the Fiocchi RO28 wads for a 3/4 oz load in my new to me 28 gauge SKB. A member of the forum was kind enough to inform me the filler wad specified was .125
inch, which I have inbound. The load calls for 2 wads, then shot and an 1/8 inch over shot card which I have in hand.

The question is whether there is any difference in inserting the filler wad into the shot cup prior to seating the plastic shot wad into the hull or is it preferred to drop powder, seat shot cup and THEN insert / seat the filler wad(s) and proceed with dropping the shot load and completing the cycle.

My reason for asking is I have neuropathy of the hands which sometimes makes fine motor skills problematic. I'm thinking it would be easier for me to insert the filler wads and seat them to the bottom of the shot cup with an appropriate tool like a pencil THEN complete the shot cup seating process into the hull. In either event I'd monitor the wad seating pressure scale on my MEC Sizemaster till it barely moved which should indicate the wad is properly seated over the powder.

Or, as is my usual bent, am I overthinking this into an issue that is actualy a non issue. {F*
Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: Filler wads
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:57 am 
Diamond Grade

I am not trying to be snarky or mean. But why did you pick the load combination you did with the issue you have??
If it was me I would buy a flat or 2 of Win AAHS shells and get the rebate. Then reload them at least 6 times each using the Claybuster clone. Nothing else needed.
Sorry I can't help you on the assembly question, because I wont go to all that trouble to reload a hull.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:02 pm 
Crown Grade

First, you don't want a 1/8" overshot card. You'll screw up the pattern. A .028 is all you should ever use. I know some guys will say they get away with thicker OS cards, but don't do it. You can use that card under the shot if needed for proper load height. A question - isn't 3/4oz load the load 28ga guns use all the time ? Just about any wad for the 28ga should be for 3/4oz of shot. But back to your question. If you put some pressure on the plastic wad, make sure the fiber wad won't go up in the drop tube. You may want to load them separately. Firmly set the plastic wad, then just barely push the fiber wad down. When loading my short 10s, a 16ga wad fits in the 10ga plastic wad and will go up in the drop tube. For that reason I use a 12ga drop tube. So I would - drop powder, seat plastic wad, then any fiber wads, then drop shot and crimp. I still don't understand the need for filler wads when loading 3/4oz in a 28ga. Good luck. Paul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:04 pm 
Crown Grade

As Steve said, just buy some AAs, shoot em, and buy some American made wads. You won't be fooling around with the fiber wads.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:48 pm 
Utility Grade

The Fiocchi wad issue came about because a while back the only ammunition I could find locally was Fiocchi so I'm sitting on 4 flats of hulls. I figgered with the run on reloading components I'd load them till they fail and then go on to something else thats available. In perusing the load data I came across the Fiocchi RO28 wad at a cheap price that works with either 3/4 or 7/8 oz shot load and uses Longshot powder for both; ergo. 1 powder, 1 shot cup, gave me 2 loads - a 1255 fps and a 1350 fps. Both have a sorta low chamber pressure and I'm thinking that might help the hulls last another pass thru the MEC. All I needed was the filler wads for the 3/4 oz load and an overshot card and I'm in business till all the panic buying eases off.

Yes, I know ... YOU can find ABC wads and XYZ powder etc and the AA hulls. I didn't turn up a lot of stuff available for my 28 gauge Fiocchi hulls so I'm using what I got and will ride that dog till it goes face down into the dirt. Meanwhile I'm shooting and that's what I was after. Thanks for your opinion but your advice, which I already knew, doesn't fit my circumstances.

That sound you just heard was the microphone dropping.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:09 pm 
Crown Grade

I could be wrong, but I don't see how it could make any difference. Personally, I reload everything. The only "FACTORY" thing that concerns me are components. I think it has been about 6 years since I bought a factory loaded anything except for rimfire .22s. I'm not saying buying factory fodder is not a good alternative, just that you don't have to justify your decision to reload.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:21 pm 
Utility Grade

Thats pretty much how I had it figured, geo, but since this my first foray into filler wads I felt it prudent to ask the question before having an issue. Thanks for an elegant answer to my question. Didn't need all the soap boxing about how somebody else would do it. I know the "preferred" route but that wasn't in my list of choices.

I long for the days when panic buying wasn't in our vocabulary. I wish we as reloaders would stop doing it to ourselves. I saw some profiteer trying to peddle a dozen once fired AA's for $20 on ebay to "crafters".

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:55 pm 
Diamond Grade

buck45

You told us the components you wanted to use. Then went on to say you have a medical condition that might make it difficult to use those components in that manner. Then tell us we are "soap boxing" for suggesting a simpler way to do it with your condition.

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:16 am 
Crown Grade

To answer your question, yes you could put the filler wad in the plastic wad first, then use the reloader to insert both at once IF the filler wad doesn't stick in your drop tube. Any wads, other than a thin, .028 card, goes under the shot. A .125 card you refer to is a over powder hard card, usually .125 or .130. If it's being used for a filler wad then a soft cushion 1/2" wad could be used. They're easily split to the desired thickness with a thumb nail or any sharp knife. WWW.circlefly.co has all you need. Or BPI or Presission reloading also has them.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:07 am 
Utility Grade

Didn't think explaining why I was asking the question was "soap boxing" but to each his own. If I ruffled any feathers I'm truly sorry but a disertation on preferred components was not the question I asked. In an effort to clarify I went into chapter and verse of my particular situation. In any event, I got the answer to my question and I thank you all.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:32 am 
Limited Edition

FWIW. I've found it easier to drop a few air soft BBs in the top for added filler in some cases. A layer will take up about the same space as an 1/8 oz of shot and they don't add much weight.

Not really a microphone drop if you wander back onto the stage LOL.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:50 am 
Diamond Grade

Just change wads. If you are loading 1 oz. and need less room ( shot rattles) use a 7/8 oz wad. If you need more room use a 9/8 oz wad. Wads all cost the same per bag and you have no fillers to buy and can eat the Cheerios for breakfast.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

For minor adjustments in crimp the MEC wad/shot tube is adjustable and clearly graduated. Often that is all that is required to produce an acceptable crimp... I have run a few shells through the chronograph after this adjustment from Lyman/MEC specs and have found no difference in FPS... Larry
By the way.... to make those graduations more visible I placed the tube in the lathe (drill would do as well) and while spinning laid a small 3 cornered file on the line.... makes the graduation bright and shiny and easy to see....

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:32 am 
Crown Grade

I think we all missed the part of his post that he had a ton of wads and hulls - just wanted to know about loading what he had, not what to buy. I've heard of Cheerios, navy beads, soft air BBs, many things to improve stack height. They all work. Any filler wad goes in the plastic wad before the shot. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:00 pm 
Diamond Grade

Hal4son wrote:
FWIW. I've found it easier to drop a few air soft BBs in the top for added filler in some cases. A layer will take up about the same space as an 1/8 oz of shot and they don't add much weight.

Not really a microphone drop if you wander back onto the stage LOL.

This is my preferred method too. Except I put mine in before the shot. I have Arthritis and also shake a bit and have found I can drop then right in the wad guide on my Mec. FWIW I also don't use a primer feed. I've found handling the primers helps my dwindling small motor skills. Tribulations of being a retired welder.