ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking at used hornady press to fix up, thought?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:52 pm 
Field Grade

There is a gentleman that comes into our shop/range to collect brass every couple of weeks. This morning he informed me that he has a Hornady progressive shotshell press that he wants to get rid off for cheap. According to him he has not gotten it set up right, and it might require some tinkering and parts. I haven't gotten a chance to look and see what work is required yet, but for the $50 he wants for it I think it might be worth a gamble.

I was already looking at upgrading from my MEC 600 to a progressive press to keep up with the volume of shooting our collegiate team does for this upcoming semester. So if I could get it up and running this could save me a good bit of money that could go towards more shot.

When it comes to the hornady presses, are they pretty reliable and hold thier own against Dillon, P/W, and MEC?

Any quirks about the Hornady press in gerneral I should know about before commit to it?

Post subject: Re: Looking at used hornady press to fix up, thought?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

Read the hints, tips and troubleshooting thread on Hornady progressive presses here on the forum. Lots of good points.

I'll assume you have your eyes on a 366 model. Earlier models use mostly common parts with the 366 - except for where they don't.

Parts for the Hornady 366 press are generally in good supply direct from Hornady now that they are producing the 366 again.

I have two, replacing my Mecs as faster machines to run now that I am shooting a lot of clays. Both were used, one being well used and worn and poorly adjusted. Both now are worth twice what I paid for them, which was 5 times what you are looking at.

Clean the press well. A 366 won't run very smoothly with years of crud in it. The rotary shell plate is often abused and bent, and best replaced by a new part. Adding a spring loaded primer seating rod is wonderful idea if you want to set up for both Rem and Winchester hulls, or any other mix of hulls. Cutting an opening in the shell retainer ring at the powder drop station has been worth the effort, making it trivial to pop out a hull with powder drop in it for a check weigh. Fix any problems with the measure bar not running smoothly as one of your first efforts - rough running, catching, not traveling full stroke, etc.

THEN adjust all dies and punches starting from the first station. See the tips post for specifics. I like a thin "stamped steel" open-end wrench set for all the adjustments on the 366, where it sometimes seems like each adjusting nut or rod needs a different size wrench!

Mounting the press on a raised block or mount that gets the loaded rounds to drop into a collection bin or box is great. As is a "spilled shot" collection pan under the machine.

And, don't try to speed through the press cycle. The primer will snag sideways in the seating chamber, bringing the handle to an abrupt stop until you back off the stroke slightly and straighten the primer. Be smooth, not fast. Pay close attention as you begin the loading session, to turn on the powder drop and shot drop at the right cycle. And pay attention as you stop the session, turning them off properly, too. There is no "auto shot or powder shutoff" mechanism in the 366.

Once adjusted, I have had VERY good luck keeping the 366s running. Better (smoother, quicker, more solid) than either of my old Mecs. Reliable powder and shot drops. Nice crimps. I have no experience on Dillons, RCBS Grands, or P/W machines.

If you have a little patience and a willingness to work through the learning curve (as is needed on any progressive loader), a 366 will serve you well for loading one load in moderate to high volume. If you have to drive "pedal to the metal" when you load, the 366 will either cure you of that, or you will trade it off.

Good luck, garrisonjoe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:19 pm 
Crown Grade

Find out which model press it is.

If it is a 366 -- it is worth it.
And just as garrisonjoe has said they will work well.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:25 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If it's an Apex, pass. If it's a 366, go for it. We can help you get it up, running and adjusted correctly. They are nearly impossible to wear out if properly cared for. They are reliable and can hold their own against any other brands.

$50 would be a steal. I once bought a 366 off Craigslist for $75, cleaned it up, adjusted it and resold it for $400.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:07 am 
Field Grade

GarrisonJoe, thanks for the tips. I'll be sure to look through that thread.

The gentleman came back today and brought me the press along with a second crimp starter and resizing tube that goes to a 20 gauge. I got a little cleaned off, old powder dumped and the shot in a baggie. It definitely needs a little TLC. There must be old grease & crud on the bearing surfaces, its drags a bit. The indexing plate is out of time, and the wad guide sticks in one position.

As best I can tell going off pictures online, other than the primer tube and the catch bin everything is here.

My manager/mentor/coach has been giving me garbage bags full of AA hulls I just started to reload. This will make it a whole lot easier once I get it together!! I honestly don't know who was happier, me or him when we saw it come in the shop.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:23 am 
Tournament Grade

You have a good one.
Looking at your photo, there's something that needs attention at the wad guide spring.
That aluminum block should be down on the platen and the spring tension should twist the wad guide in line with the wad seating punch.
You'll also need to follow the die adjustment procedure in the 366 user manual starting with the sizing die and working around station by station. Be careful not to jam the primer drop tube into the shell plate while making station adjustments.
Replace the measure casting seals if they are not flexible.
Lube up the machine and have a good time loading.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:10 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

One thing to check when working on getting the swing-out wad guide working right is to look under the "platen" (the piece the shell plate is on and which rises to meet the dies when the lever is pulled). The rod that the wad guide is attached to, underneath, has a groove with an "e-clip" that is supposed to be inserted in the groove. Judging by the way the wad guide is looking, that e-clip may be missing or not in the right place. If you look on the parts list in the manual, it will tell you what size e-clip you need and you can get replacements from the hardware store. The wad guide will not swing out without that e-clip in place and in the proper position.

And, you say you have AA hulls and I assume they would be the "new" style AAHS. If so, while you are ordering parts from Hornady, have them send you the AAHS style body for the crimp die. It has a cylinder shape on the inside while the originals were tapered towards the top. It may sound like a minor detail, but it will make a difference.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:30 pm 
Reloading Expert
Reloading Expert

Actually the original crimp die body was just like the new HS friendly die body, it was for paper hulls. Then along came the plastic hulls and they brought out the tapered body. The “new” old body is a good idea. Several years back I stopped over at Hornady and picked up those new die bodies for both my 12 and 20 ga 366s. (I live 40 miles from them) Had a nice chat with the guy who brought them out to me and he is the one who told me about the fix! “It was easy, we just set up the CNC tooling for the old paper hull die body. Problem solved.” The new ones are aluminum, my tapered ones are steel. Money well spent, I think about [email protected] on that day. I’ve got 16 and 28 Pacific/Hornady loaders but the dies are old enough that they were still paper hull, straight wall bodies so they give no problems.

BP

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:00 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks, I will add that to the list of parts I need.

I had some down time at work so I was able to take the machine apart. I cleaned it up as best I could, and applied some grease to the rods. I was correct, there was a lot of dried up grease. I also cleaned up the dies as well.

The e clip on the swing out wad guide needs to be replaced. I looked at the pawl and it is pretty mangled, so I think it might need to be replaced.

I also took a picture of the surface that cams the wad guide, as I think it is damaged. Do y'all think it is?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

jacosta95 wrote:
I also took a picture of the surface that cams the wad guide, as I think it is damaged. Do y'all think it is?

No, that cam looks normal.
The pawl is deformed, but it looks repairable to me.
You can clean it up and compensate with the cam on the back of the base if it's a bit misshapen.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:32 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Agree on the pawl. Add 2 of them to your shopping list.

Also agree on the wad guide cam on the base, looks normal.

Add an extra primer drop tube plastic "foot" and a couple of wad guide fingers to the list.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:22 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks. This is going a lot easier than the mec I fixed.

Now if only my club would put together another order so I can get more shot and powder.