ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to Ponsness Warren 900 need help with stuck shell
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:57 am 
Utility Grade

I have a problem with my PW 900

I was testing the depriming station and successfully deprimed a shell. I then removed the die with the shell in it and swapped it with the die that is in the final position where the shell is typically punched out of the bottom of the device. I then pulled the lever to raise the shell plate to punch the shell out however when I did so the shell only punched part of the way out before I could not raise the plate any further.

Since I could not pull the lever any further so I lowered it. Now the shell is halfway protruding out of the bottom of the die into the ejection portal and I cannot remove the shell nor can I remove the die because the bottom of the shelll is preventing the shell plate from indexing and also preventing me from moving the day.

Any help would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: New to Ponsness Warren 900 need help with stuck shell
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:11 pm 
Diamond Grade

Would it be possible to get the stuck hull fully back into the die and then remove the die to get the hull out?

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:05 pm 
Presentation Grade

Take a pair of channel locks or similar and put around the hull and remove from the bottom.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:43 pm 
Crown Grade

I use a short length of dowel. Drop it down inside the hull and try to raise the plate again and push it out.

One of Many

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:51 pm 
Crown Grade

On the 900, the cylinder is going to try to index on the up stroke of the lever, as the cross plate is coming back down.

So to stop this, grab the center knurled part of the center indexer on the center rod lower section, and pull it upwards to stop the machine from indexing as you lever back up. The Knurled sleeve section is not going to pull upwards much since it wave washer loaded, but will pull up enough to separate the indexer pins from the top of cylinder detente to stop the cylinder from indexing.

As for cross plate stopping mid stroke up, you got a bind going on, and need to figure that one out. My guess is it something in the hopper gear system, so would pull the hopper, the bushings and carrier, and even gear rack to see what is causing the problem up top.

Also to point out, at the final handle up position as you are seating a hull into the sizer and priming a shell, if you get a dead stop bind, don't try to force the handle through it. What has happened is a primer has missed the spent primer chute, and is now sitting/wedged on the side of the primer assembly shelf and bottom of the U section on the cross plate. So if you try to power through this jam, just going to break off the side lip of the U on the cross plate. So when you get this kind of jam, double check the spent primer chute to figure out what is binding in, not allowing it to come down as it rides the side of the primer assembly. Hence most of the time, it the L clip piece that is not adjusted correctly, and spent primer is not being released at the correct time as the chute goes to ride the side of the primer assembly back down.

Once last thing, and a hull crimp area of the hull is going to be managed to hell by trying to use the spring loaded hull knock out tool of an empty hull. So options are a dowel in the empty hull just long enough to clear the top of the hull so the knock out tool puts pressure on it to drive the empty hull out of the sizer, or just take a razor knife to cut the hull to the top of the sizer, so when the button of the knock out tool comes down, it making contact to the hull sides inside the sizer only. Hence during reloading when I see a manage crimped hull that I know will have problems with the knock out tool not being able to push it out of the sizer, it's just cut the hull flush with the top of sizer, so I can keep reloading without missing a step (its just knocked down the drop chute, and I can clean that mess up after I'm done reloading instead).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:55 am 
Diamond Grade

rip the shell out from the bottom.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:28 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the responses and suggestions. I figured it out.