ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 3D printed projects for reloading.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:15 pm 
Field Grade

I've started printing some designs for the reloading bench.

My designs are done in tinkercad. I've tried a few items off thingiverse

Wondering if anyone else has some good ideas to share?

In production

1. Combo Hull/Wad Dispenser. Labeled 12 & 28. One for each wad and hull type

2. 12 & 28 gauge Shell Stacker.

In design.

1. Shot mat for around reloader. Flex filament and a corner hole to drain shot that falls.

2. 28 gauge box adapter (drop into a holder designed for 12 gauge box)

From the web.

1. 12 and 28 gauge Shell boxes w/lids
2. Primer Box holder - dispenser
3. 12 gauge belt loop holder
4. Shot and powder bushing holder for peg board.

Not started.

1. Shot and powder bushings. (Not sure if this will work and what material to use.
2. Finished shell catcher/chute.
3. Hull sorter. No idea how to do this yet. ImageImage

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: 3D printed projects for reloading.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:20 pm 
Crown Grade

Some of those are very cool...................

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:02 pm 
Diamond Grade

oneounceload wrote:

I agree, lets grab some chairs and popcorn and wait for the Negative Nancys" to show up. :lol:

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:10 pm 
Field Grade

Ready ( and expected)Image

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

I've always wondered if it was possible to print those plastic baffles that Downrange (?) used to make. They go between the bottle and a MEC loader.
TerryS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:42 pm 

TerryS wrote:
I've always wondered if it was possible to print those plastic baffles that Downrange (?) used to make. They go between the bottle and a MEC loader.
TerryS

There are about 4 pieces plus a spring in that baffle. Each except the spring could probably be done.
Also an adaptor could be made for the Multi-Scale baffle that would duplicate the action of the red baffle. I have designed it but am too lazy to make it.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:20 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I don't know much about the 3D printing process, though I have seen it in action. Pretty impressive.

While we are at, it what about an adjustable charge bar, because Multiscale seems to be gone.

Curly, I like the idea of making the metal baffle with a bit longer insert and if you made it with no baffles inside that would be wonderful.

The things I don't know are, what are the actual cost of the 3D printer/software for the application and using/procuring the correct material for the job.

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:39 am 

dogchaser37 wrote:
I don't know much about the 3D printing process, though I have seen it in action. Pretty impressive.

While we are at, it what about an adjustable charge bar, because Multiscale seems to be gone.

Curly, I like the idea of making the metal baffle with a bit longer insert and if you made it with no baffles inside that would be wonderful.

The things I don't know are, what are the actual cost of the 3D printer/software for the application and using/procuring the correct material for the job.

I was going to make it the old fashioned way with a bar of stock and a lathe.
Don't know about that fancy stuff.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:13 am 
Field Grade

There are some designs for MEC reloaders out on thingiverse. I don't have a MEC.

As for cost, the material is cheap, paying someone to print it is where the $ comes in.

A design I print at home for under $5 may be over $100 to have a third party print it. All the software I use is free or came with the printers.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:21 am 
Diamond Grade

Rockett0 wrote:
Shot and powder bushings. (Not sure if this will work and what material to use.

If you ever get around to this I would be interested in some of the smaller sizes in the powder bushings, IF you would make the OAL slightly longer. My thought is I would custom fit them to a MEC bar and see how well they stop W296 powder migration from the bottom side of the bar.

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:45 am 
Field Grade

YevetS wrote:
Rockett0 wrote:
Shot and powder bushings. (Not sure if this will work and what material to use.

If you ever get around to this I would be interested in some of the smaller sizes in the powder bushings, IF you would make the OAL slightly longer. My thought is I would custom fit them to a MEC bar and see how well they stop W296 powder migration from the bottom side of the bar.

Steve

Hard to make without a final place to test.... Any of the items below what you are looking for? Someone else made them and posted.
Attachment:
powder bushings bar.jpg
Attachment:
powder bushings.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:13 am 
Diamond Grade

Rockett0 wrote:
Any of the items below what you are looking for?

Not likely as I am looking for a custom OAL. Might just take .002" off the bottom of my bar and see if it makes a difference.

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:40 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

YevetS wrote:
oneounceload wrote:

I agree, lets grab some chairs and popcorn and wait for the Negative Nancys" to show up. :lol:

Steve

:lol: OK I will be the first, I have all those things either made out of wood or cardboard, all work well at a almost zero cost. Seriously they do look well done but nothing I would buy.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:50 am 
Field Grade

I'm not selling anything here, just sharing what I'm putting on my reloading bench.

And looking for ideas from other reloaders that have 3d printers at home.

Or reloaders that always thought about what was missing or what they could make.

"Could you make a shell sorter like a coin sorter to auto stack completed shells?"

Just combining two hobbies. Designing is fun, getting a design to work is fantastic.

Let me clear something up on costs. Printing at home=cheap.

A MEC stamped metal ez stack cost ~$15 to $20.

My version printed at home $0.79

Online printed $21.88

Left over ammo box with front cut out $0

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:13 pm 
Field Grade

More tinkering. ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:29 pm 
Presentation Grade

Rocket - what 3D printer do you have? Those hull and wad boxes are nice but I don't think and of the 3D printers I've seen (hobbyist models) will handle something that big.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:42 pm 
Field Grade

Ender 5 pro

Green and White are 8.5x8.5x12 - (220x220x300) - Holds 500 12ga wads

That's as big as I can make them with out doing multipart prints.

Gray was a 4 part print - but i don't like that prototype.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:45 am 
Limited Edition

If someone can find a kid to do it, it probably would cost very little. Hint: look for a local robotics team. My son took home the old broken 3d printer when the team got a new one. Fixed it and plays with it some. If someone bought him a roll of filament he would surely have done work for them. The type of kids who are into robotics are whizzes at this stuff. My son is going off to college in a month tho, pretty busy now.

P.S. are the walls of that ez stack thick enough to be fairly sturdy but thin enough for a box to slip over it still?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:46 am 
Field Grade

DooFighter wrote:

P.S. are the walls of that ez stack thick enough to be fairly sturdy but thin enough for a box to slip over it still?

Yes and Yes... But this is really dependent on the way it is printed (slicer software settings) and material used.

A user named ductape posted his design on thingiverse. Your son can just download and print it.

My software said it cost $1.01 in PLA+ filament. Compared to a MEC, it needs to have a bit more slant back and left to right....but 25 shells slid into a factory AA box.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hi,

3D printing is an amazing technology. It can create items that would be nearly impossible by any other method. And a printer might only set you back for less than the cost of a used iPhone.

Suitable software to design for and run a 3d printer is cheap, as in like free beer cheap. It does require learning and it can be a steep learning curve for a bit. But it is eminently doable even for us old pharts.

There can be a lot of things you could make for your reloading pleasure. And Rockett0 has made some very nice things. I might well steal the 28ga shell box and shell stacker ideas. Would be easy enough to design and print on my Prusa Mk3s. Other things I could see might be doing the pre-crimp punch and even the final crimp punch on my MEC 600Jr MkV. Possibly the wad fingers too. The shot and powder bottles could be possible, but printing clear plastics is not really possible on a 3d printer. "Clear" filaments turn out milky translucent.

I don't think powder bushings are really possible due to the limitations of absolute accuracy of home 3d printing right now. Though you could print undersized and then carefully enlarge by filing/sanding and testing until you get what you want. Static cling of the powder might be an issue with certain plastics. But not all filaments would have that problem.

Printing multiple parts and then assembling them is of minor concern for the powder baffle. I've even printed plastic coil springs a couple times. But a cheap hardware store spring is easy to get if needed. Even the threads wouldn't be that difficult to print. Bottle threads are pretty coarse and rounded.

Parts of the of the adjustable charge bar sure could be made from printed plastic. The body and the knobs for sure I think. Though I might use metal threaded rods for adjustments and plastic might not be the best for the adjustable baffle for the shot side. But testing would quickly figure that out.

Applying 3d printing to reloading at home is only limited by your need and imagination.