ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shot in powder
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:59 am 
Utility Grade

So every now and then I get one or two of pieces of number eight shot mixed in with the powder charge. They get caught somehow in a charge bar void and dropped into the powder drop. Any causes for concern? Prayers?

Post subject: Re: Shot in powder
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:06 am 
Presentation Grade

One or two no worry. If you have a senior moment and mix up shot and powder, get a kitchen sink strainer of wire mesh at the dollar store. Powder goes thru, shot dont.
Dont ask me how I came to find out :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:19 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

rosiesdad wrote:
One or two no worry. If you have a senior moment and mix up shot and powder, get a kitchen sink strainer of wire mesh at the dollar store. Powder goes thru, shot dont.

Probably the same way I found out :oops: :oops:

cdb

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:00 pm 
Crown Grade

schwantz wrote:
So every now and then I get one or two of pieces of number eight shot mixed in with the powder charge. They get caught somehow in a charge bar void and dropped into the powder drop. Any causes for concern? Prayers?

No.

No cause.

If you shoot a load with one in the powder charge, nothing special happens.

Fully unworthy of concern.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:38 pm 
Field Grade

Forgetting to insert a wad is the most common way this happens and then it ain't one or two pieces of shot!

Kitchen strainer or the old album/ folder crease method to separate the seeds from the weed!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

For God's sake, what sort of reloader are you using that allows shot to "get caught somehow in a charge bar void and dropped into the powder drop?"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:05 am 
Tournament Grade

Perhaps it's happening more often than you are detecting?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:26 am 

Many times something happens and we deconstruct a shell. Then we promptly dump the shot into the powder reservoir so we can wonder later where the shot came from.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:20 am 
Tournament Grade

Curly N wrote:
Many times something happens and we deconstruct a shell. Then we promptly dump the shot into the powder reservoir so we can wonder later where the shot came from.
I had to sift the shot from my powder last evening due to this exact scenario.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Absolutely the kitchen strainer works. I have one that is 6 inches in diameter. A smaller one might work, but the strainer pores have to be big enough to let the powder through and small enough to trap the shot.
Just a cheapie one works. I even keep a sheet of printer paper handy to drop the powder in. A slight fold allows re-funneling into the powder funnel to the bottle, or on the scale to redo the shell, only this time WITH THE WAD! Uhhh, I am sensing that I know too much about this! :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:00 pm 
Crown Grade

rosiesdad wrote:

Depends on your size of powder and size of shot..........sometimes it can be the other way around

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:29 pm 
Limited Edition

A couple pellets in the shot charge makes no difference.

When I accidentally dumped powder into my shot bottle, I found pouring it on a cookie sheet and tipping the cookie sheet gently did a nice job

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:49 pm 
Utility Grade

Curly N wrote:

Been there, done that more times than I'd like to admit,,,,,

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:48 am 
Field Grade

Win50 wrote:
When I accidentally dumped powder into my shot bottle, I found pouring it on a cookie sheet and tipping the cookie sheet gently did a nice job

That sounds familiar somehow. :idea:

tp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:52 pm 
Field Grade

I like the panning for gold method.
Dump in corner of small square plastic container.
Lean container towards opposite corner until shot dances to it leaving powder behind.
Now slight lean towards opening in bottle watching the shot dribble into it. If you’re a little person or have the shakes...use a funnel as BBs have ‘superball’ abilities.
Tap container corner with the powder to consolidate then on edge let the powder slide into your powder container.
Shiny smooth plastic works best....mine once held Chocolate Eclairs.
H

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:23 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It’s a big deal if you are weighing powder charges. Screen the shot out to get accurate powder weights

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:05 am 
Crown Grade

"One or two, no worries". Is that just a hunch or have there been tests done to determine the effect?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:01 pm 
Crown Grade

geometric wrote:
"One or two, no worries". Is that just a hunch or have there been tests done to determine the effect?

Yes, I have.
If you shoot the gun even half-way level, no matter where the shot is in the charge, it leaves the gun.
IF, the shot is against the bottom of the hull, AND you shoot straight up, SOME of the shot, MIGHT, stay in the hull, 50% or less.

What "problems" do you expect to happen with a couple of shot in the bottom of a hull?

Lead shot scratch a barrel?
Back before the plastic shotcup was invented the lead shot scraped the barrel the whole way out. No "damage".

Pressure increase?
How? By what physics mechanism? Lead shot doesn't burn, doesn't even melt when exposed to 4,000*F for 3 milliseconds.

The only thing that MIGHT, conceivably happen, is IF, a "Golden BB", manages to seat itself directly, smack on top of, and down tight against, the flash hole of the primer.
I have no idea how many 10's of thousands of shells you'd have to load that way with a few shot randomly intermixed with each shot charge, but it is pretty well incalculably small.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:24 pm 
Crown Grade

"What problems do you expect to have with a couple of shot in the bottom of a hull? "
I don't know, that's why I asked the question! My guess is pretty much the same as yours but it is a guess. People make all sorts of statements they can't back up with verifiable evidence. I know if trash gets over the primer flash hole, it can cause a blooper. I'm not picking on you or anything, I would just like to know. That would be a good experiment for somebody to conduct. Place various numbers of small shot over the primer before adding the powder then check pressure & velocity. I would do it but I don't have any way to measure pressure & my chronograph is broken.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I do not tolerate anything mixed with the powder charge whether it causes problems or not. The fact is that there isn’t supposed to be lead shot in the powder charge. Call me anal, but that’s the way I see it. I’ve been reloading center fire and shot shells for over 50 years without one single accident because of my attention to detail. I intend to keep it that way.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith