ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PW 900 crimp issue
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:49 pm 
Field Grade

All,

I’m having a hard time dialing in my crimps on my PW 900.

I’m getting a pretty massive hole in the middle of my crimp. Additionally, it looks like the crimp is getting chewed up.

I’ve adjusted my pre crimp to every conceivable level but I’m not seeing much difference. Any help would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: PW 900 crimp issue
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:57 pm 
Crown Grade

Couple things.

Pre crimp should be set so the cone formed leaves a small opening and the shoulder is where you want it.

Take the crimp die out and apart, make sure no random hunks of plastic are lodged inbetween the core and the housing.

Back the roll crimp compression nut off until the spring is loose. Then tighten it just enough to take the slack out. The roll crimp nut is the nut under the tooling head plate.

Then start dialing in the crimp by turning the crimp shaft from above the tooling head.

One of Many

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:12 pm 
Field Grade

thanks for the instruction John H. I did what you suggested and I got it dialed in. But the lead was over flowing by about 4 pieces of 7.5 shot. I adjusted the wad depth and got a perfect crimp with no lead overflow.

My question now is: have I now increased the pressure to an unacceptable degree or does it make a difference?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:23 pm 
Crown Grade

How is your crimp depth? Should be .050 to .055 ish. Or about the thickness of a dime.

A little wad pressure is fine. You may have been able to raise your precrimp very, very slightly and accomplished the same thing.

One of Many

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:29 pm 
Field Grade

Oh hell man, I dunno. I don’t own a micrometer or a ruler that is that precise. I tried a number of different crimp depths but the shot (1 oz) was always overflowing.

You think it’ll be ok?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:00 pm 
Crown Grade

About the worst thing that happens with too much wad pressure is the crimp may open up a bit after the shells sit for a while. You won't create a dangerous pressure excursion or anything.

Hopefully you just turned your wad ram down a partial turn or so, not several turns. If your crimp depth is too deep you can cause a pressure rise. If you don't have a caliper use your eyeball and compare crimp depth to a dime.

When you're close, make very subtle changes.

One of Many

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:05 pm 
Field Grade

Good call. I’ll give it a try.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:07 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks a ton for your help. I have to say. Coming from the MEC 9000 the PW 900 is an incredibly finicky machine. Not sure if it was worth it.

You got any thoughts on that??

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:41 pm 
Presentation Grade

You went from a MEC and you think a P-W is finicky? Have you checked the stack height of your load? What shot and powder?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:07 pm 
Field Grade

Yeah, man. Between getting the crimp adjusted, the wad seated, the dies, and dialing in the primer seating it’s been a freakin nightmare. Powder is spreading all over. I’m not gonna lie, I’m thinking of going back to the MEC. It just seems less complicated Maybe it’s cuz I own three of them, I’m just more comfortable with them.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:45 pm 
Crown Grade

Why are you loosing powder? There should not be any powder leakage.

I suspect you have 2 things going on. One is you're used to the mec. The ponsness is just different. The other is that you're working with a used machine, God only knows how screwed up it is from the last guy that used it.

Take your time and dial it in. No shortcuts. The manual sucks, but, it actually does have the right procedure for dialing it in (provided the machine is in good shape and not tweaked or worn). Don't even think about loading progressive until each station is solid. If you haven't done so the manual is free to download on the ponsness website, http://www.reloaders.com

Once you get it dialed in you won't have to fool with it unless you change something in your recipe. They are rock solid when dialed in. I moved from mec to pw long ago - no regrets.

One of Many

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:23 am 
Field Grade

I dunno why I’m losing powder. The powder throws are consistent (Although it throws less than the bushing is supposed to throw) but near the switch for turning the powder off and on a little pile of powder accumulates the longer I reload. When I remove the top plate to change one of the bushings there’s powder all over the inside.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:03 am 
Crown Grade

There is an o-ring set into the bottom of hopper plate. Must be badly worn. When you replace it wipe the o-ring groove with a light smear of superglue then put the o-ring in.

If you're using the mec bushing adapter then its probably something you just live with until you get proper Hornady or Ponsness bushings.

One of Many

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:22 am 
Field Grade

Ahhhhh. I am using an adaptor as I have a ton of MEC bushings. The o-ring longs to be in pretty good shape but I’ll try switching it anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:23 pm 
Presentation Grade

I never had any consistent success with the MEC adapters.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:53 pm 
Field Grade

I’ve heard many complaints but I have so many of them I had to give the adaptor a try.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:49 pm 
Crown Grade

I use the Mec adapters on y 800+ and get pretty consistent results.

I do see some powder leakage, bit nothing I'd call excessive. H 110 does leak, even with a PW bushing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

Just curious. Did your PW work when you first got it? I just got a 900 like factory new in the original crate with only 150 shells through it with 1 1/8oz factory settings. All I had to do is order the correct bushings from PW and am loading 3/4oz loads trouble free. I also ordered the accessory drop tube set to confirm powder and shot drops and they were spot on.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:58 pm 
Field Grade

This is the initial set up so I can’t really say.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:26 pm 
Diamond Grade

there's an O=ring that fits up on the bottom side of the top plate for the powder drop.
[between the powder bushing and the body]
they last for about forever but they do have to be there and not on the floor or damaged.