ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ANOTHER PW 900 issue
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:28 pm 
Field Grade

So I finally got everything dialed in and I load a few shells when a primer gets turned in the primer assembly preventing the feed ram from advancing or retreating. I was able to pry the errant primer out and reinstalled the primer fed assembly.

I give it a test and now the primer post is stuck in the up position. In other words, the post won’t retreat into The assembly thus preventing the food ram from depositing a fresh primer into the proper position for seating.

Sorry for all of the questions.

Post subject: Re: ANOTHER PW 900 issue
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:39 pm 
Crown Grade

Sounds like it's time to disassemble, and clean the primer assembly.

IMO dry graphite makes a better lube than oil for this.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:52 pm 
Field Grade

The assembly is brand new. I just got it At the beginning of the week.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:30 pm 
Diamond Grade

Dfooks wrote:
The assembly is brand new. I just got it At the beginning of the week.

So you just installed it?? Take it back off and figure out why its not working. Hate to sound harsh but.....

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:42 pm 
Field Grade

I took it back off. Still can’t get the post to recede.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:31 pm 
Diamond Grade

the post doesn't recede, the body goes up and down.
if it doesn't the post looks like it's stuck in the out position.

you have to remove the post and make sure it isn't bent, or something isn't caught down in between the post and the body.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:19 am 
Field Grade

Ok. I’ll give it a look. Is there a way to remove the post??

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:56 am 
Crown Grade

There is a small set screw that holds the post in place. When you put it back together you have to get the set screw in the dimple for the post.

One of Many

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:11 am 
Field Grade

Thanks...again, John.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:18 pm 
Field Grade

defooks -- have read several of you trials with the p-w 900. if you were using MEC 9000 loader and having good results you need to give serious thought to going back to the MEC 9000's. you are on a path to blowing up a shotgun. with progressive shotshell reloaders stay with one system -- got it one system -- P-W, MEC, SPOLAR ect. if you intend to switch to P-W you will be ok if you can stand the leaning curve. the primer feed system of the p-w can be a pain. you may have bent the primer seating post -- when you disassemble the primer feed system it is the part that looks like a large nail. if it is bent straighten it out on an anvil and use an file and emery paper to smooth out the post until it moves free in the assembly. I bought a new 900 when I started progressive reloading. if I had of bought a "yard sale special" I might not have made it thru the initial learning curve. worst thing you have to ALWAYS be mindful is a double powder charge when you have a mess to deal with.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:47 pm 
Field Grade

Several trials indeed. I appreciate you cautionary words and I agree. Thank you for your advice. I am remarkably cautious.

There is a learning curve but there always is one. I come to this site for advice and guidance so I don’t destroy a gun and the advice has been great. It will come together. I can’t possibly be the first person who switched systems.

Thanks again for your words and your suggestion. I appreciate them both. Your message was somewhat condescending and a little embarrassing but needed to be said. In the future, there’s always pm’s so you can provide guidance, instruction and criticism in private if you feel the need to talk down to someone.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:53 pm 
Field Grade

I agree with you my post was blunt. after acquiring my p-w 900 I bought a hornady 366 in 20 gauge. it was much cheaper than another p-w. everything about the 366 was backwards from the p-w -- to me. I never reloaded a box a shells on the hornady. my fear was that I would mess up and double charge a shell ect. the hornady 366 is a really nice loader and if was the only loader I had would have kept it ect. if you have bought a used p-w I would suggest you google "whiz white" . mr white is from rapid city south dakota sells some improved parts for the p-w loaders. one of his down loads is instruction on how to set up each station on the loader. the p-w 900 is a fine loader but needs to be properly adjusted to work as desired. mr whites instruction paper will save you hours of frustration ect. p-w sells an new and improved primer station for the 900. your loader may already have the new type. would suggest you consider buying the new primer station as it is much easier to adjust the primer seating depth than the old system. I started out with a 900 barebones model. over the years I have added a shell counter, 25 lb shot tube, and a device that speads open the crimp on the powder drop. for your information -- pacific/hornady shot and powder bushings will fit your p-w. old Texan bushings may fit but have not seen an old Texan loader in my area. if your loader feel like it is not quite completely indexing fully when cycled there is a spring loaded steel ball under the resizing table. the spring looses tension over time and use and will need replacing. buy an new spring -- don't try and stretch the old one ect. you can install the spring and ball with a daub of grease -- keeping them in place while placing the resizing table back in the loader. the pacific 366 has a much simpler indexing system than the p-w and will never understand why they did not copy it instead of the systems they use. think p-w makes the best loader for the money on the market. it you are "rolling in the dough" buy a spolar. spolar competition forced the p-w folks to make improvements on their new loaders -- but they are more expensive.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:04 pm 
Field Grade

just did a search "whiz white" and found his info on the p-w loaders is no longer free. trapshooters.com used to have some great free advise for p-w loader troubles.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:20 pm 
Crown Grade

Whiz was a great source of info and parts.

One of Many

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:28 pm 
Field Grade

JohnH and 1574trap,

Thank both of you for your help. I honestly appreciate it. Spolar is out of the question. I’d have a hard time justifying that purchase.

I’ll check out whiz white. I don’t mind paying a bit to get things done correctly. I emailed pw support and they actually called me and walked me through what I needed to do. It was similar to the advice I received from JohnH.

Agai, thank you. I’m sure I’ll be back at some point.