ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WSF load data?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:17 am 
Utility Grade

Hello everyone, I have just got into loading shotshell for 12 gauge. I can’t seem to find any data on Fiocchi High brass 2-3/4 Primed 616 hulls, Fiocchi RS-21 wad and WSF powder, with 2 .60 cal lead balls or 1 oz lee slug. These shells would be for hunting pig, so I would want a heavy powerful load. Any advice? I’ve check hodgon and contacted Winchester powders with no luck. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: WSF load data?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:22 am 
Crown Grade

You are going at it backwards. First you pick the projectile or shot charge, then you find the data for it & THEN you buy the components. I like your concept of a pig load, however. Buckshot & itty bitty bullets work great on 100 lb. pigs & the like but when you run up on a really bad hog, all bets are off. The load you are talking about should do the job!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:22 am 
Tournament Grade

First, loading slug or ball loads is a specialized shotshell topic.

You should find the load performance level that works for you first, then track down the right components to do that. Trying to put together slug shotshells does not work very well starting with "components you have on hand...." and trying to make a high performance slug load.

High brass hulls are not a necessity. The brass is more a decorative touch any more, rather than a strengthening feature of the hull (although that was true back in the black powder/paper hull days).

But, if you have the Lee 1 ounce drive-key mold, here's one of several slug loads from the Ballistics Products web site that could give you pretty impressive performance -

LOAD# 140217-5477

CHEDDITE 12ga. 2.75” hull
Cheddite 209 primer
ALLIANT GREEN DOT 28.0 Grains
Ballistics Products wad PT1205 (a standard wad from BPI)
1 oz. LEE drive key Slug
6-point folded crimp

Performance: PSI 9500 PSI 1425 FPS

Several more at:
https://www.ballisticproducts.com/load14_04_25.htm

Now, since the Cheddite hull and your-specified Fiocchi hull OUGHT to have just about the same internal volume, that load should work if you are really attached to the Fiocchi. Both are the European straight-wall hull design that are pretty much standard from Euro makers.

For about the most complete slug loading manual. I'd suggest this one:
https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Downl ... fo/XMSLUG/

This link is the downloadable manual. If you want BPI's printed manual, it's in same web site area, same price.

Good luck, garrisonjoe

Last edited by garrisonjoe on Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:36 am 
Tournament Grade

As for dual-ball loads? Now that is really "unique". Hard to find data for that.
I think you will find much better accuracy and performance-on-pig with slugs, any way.

If you want HEAVY performance in a 12 gauge shotgun slug, use a 3" shell (assuming your shotgun is so chambered). At least another 150 FPS with same slug in a 12 gauge, compared to the 2 3/4 hull.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:28 pm 
Utility Grade

Thank you all for the responses. Unfortunately I didn’t research as I should have before buying the supplies. I’m not repurposing cheap bird shot to make cheap slugs. I want to produce my own hard hitting heavy loads. I guess I’ll have to just eat the cost on my useless supplies and buy stuff based on existing data. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:23 pm 
Presentation Grade

Do you reside in Merced or is that your Surname ?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:58 pm 
Utility Grade

Ravenanme, surname.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:10 pm 
Presentation Grade

There's a lot of experience on these forums and I'm sure you'll take their advice wisely !
Your post was interesting as we can All learn from it .

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

There is nothing wrong with your powder choice of WSF and the Fiocchi hulls should work fine. The Lyman shotshell manual has WSF slug loads in straight wall cases. Whether your wad will work I don't know how the stack height would come out. I would suggest posing this question over at the Castboolits site http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdi ... r-Shotguns. Lots of knowledgeable fellows over there loading slugs and round balls in shotguns

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:11 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks, I’ll check out the Lyman book and see what I can find.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

One thing that makes the Lyman Shotshell Reloading Handbook hard to use for the OP's inventory is that it has NO data for Lee slugs (the drive-key type, or anything else either).

The Lyman Foster slug (lightest 12 gauge in Lyman data) is 40 grains heavier than the 1 ounce Lee. Twiddling the data MIGHT get you a reasonable and safe load, if you were an experienced loader and knew how to adjust it.

Lyman lists the Lyman mold slugs only (who woulda thunk it?).

But for best knockdown power and pretty high accuracy, the Lyman sabot type slug at 525 grains makes an excellent slug load when heavy knockdown power is needed! And Herco and Longshot powders show an additional 100+ FPS velocity over the WSF loads.

Good luck, garrisonjoe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:20 am 
Tournament Grade

You will find a few loads in the Lee brochure/instructions that come with the Lee 1-ounce drive-key mold. A PDF copy of those instructions are here:

https://www.precisionreloading.com/docs ... ~90281.pdf

However, WSF is not one of the several powders they list, either.
Probably better to buy a pound of a more typical powder for slug loads, than to try to force feed the shells with WSF.

Good luck, garrisonjoe