ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Messy 28ga Crimps on Mec 9000e
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:46 pm 
Field Grade

Hi folks.

I load 20 and 28ga AA HS hulls on the 9000 mecs with an automate.
The 20ga 8 point crimps are never an issue.
The 28ga 6 point are open or “dog eared” about every 5th hull.....
When they are right they look good so crimp adjustment seems fine.
Anyone else see this?

Best

Mark

Post subject: Re: Messy 28ga Crimps on Mec 9000e
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:53 pm 
Field Grade

I have the same machine loading same hulls and have the same issue. I would love to find a solution.
DD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

Mark Pfeifer wrote:
Hi folks.

I load 20 and 28ga AA HS hulls on the 9000 mecs with an automate.
The 20ga 8 point crimps are never an issue.
The 28ga 6 point are open or “dog eared” about every 5th hull.....
When they are right they look good so crimp adjustment seems fine.
Anyone else see this?

Best

Mark

I have 9000 electric mec, I don’t have any problems loading 28ga, I load AA HS hulls, I have loaded rem and feds with the same set up and no problems.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:31 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have found that 28 gauge takes a little more pre crimp then 12 and 20 to get them to look good.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:04 pm 

Also, there is a wide span of hull lengths in the 28 gauge. In the WWAAHS 28 there is three distinct lengths of hulls that cannot be determined by hull markings. They can have exactly the same markings and vary an 1/8" or more. This wreaks havoc when crimping them. Sort your hulls by length, shorter than 2 5/8 and longer than 2 5/8 and your troubles will greatly diminish if you set up your press for the long or the short and then only run that length hull. Change the crimper settings to run the other length.
This sounds stupid but is actually true.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:07 pm 
Field Grade

YevetS wrote:
I have found that 28 gauge takes a little more pre crimp then 12 and 20 to get them to look good.

Steve

Hi Steve I bet I bought the 20ga and Automate from you last spring.
I bought the 28 after that. The 20 runs like butter.

I was slow cycling the 28 tonight and the issue is definitely the crimp start. If the machine doesn’t index perfectly and the cases bounce a bit when the automate cycles and the crimps start is off center on the case I get an uneven crimp start and then the finished crimp is a mess.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:12 am 
Presentation Grade

It’s important that the pre crimper spins freely on its post in order for it to align properly.

In the .410 I’ve marked the alignment points on the outside of the precrimper, a small twist of the hull to align it prior to crimping makes them all come out perfect.

It’s usually not necessary to do that in 28 gauge, but it would solve the problem.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:42 am 
Diamond Grade

Mark Pfeifer wrote:

. If the machine doesn’t index perfectly.

https://www.mecoutdoors.com/Content/documents/9000.pdf page 30 covers the "how to adjust".

A couple of things to check, if the rotation is always short of full travel, does not make the anti-reverse lock, too much friction could be the issue. Check for an incorrectly seated (high) primer when the rotation comes up short. Clean and grease under the shell carrier plate and spin the main column spring so the end "tab" is toward the front side of the press.

If it always stops past the anti-reverse lock adjust it a tiny bit according to the instructions on page 30. Now, if after doing this it starts coming up short of the lock it is a sign your gas piston is wearing out. As a trouble shooting aid you could always swap out the 28 gauge gas piston with the one from your 20 gauge.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:28 pm 
Crown Grade

When I've had dog eared crimps it was due to the pre-crimp not being adjusted low enough.

Mangled and twisted crimps are due to the pre-crimp not aligning properly with the hull. The marking of index points as icyclefar suggested can help with this, but it's somewhat tedious to adjust the hull every time.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:40 am 
Field Grade

Thanks to All for the help.

I cleaned, lubed and adjusted the index timing and the problem pretty much went away
The pre-crimp does have to be tighter. Especially if the short HS hulls are not sorted out.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:43 am 
Diamond Grade

I’m going to try the sorting by height and see how that helps. I reload all but 12 ga and the 28 gives me the worst results. I was nervous when I got my 410 machine and after the first couple loads I was like ‘wait a second this is way easier than 28!’

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:24 pm 
Field Grade

Are you using an automate? I speed of the automate does complicate somethings but does get a lot of ammo done in a hurry. And I think powder charges are more consistent I have a bud that loads a four gauges with the hydraulic units and says he has to watch for shot bridging in the shot tube if he runs anything bigger than 9s

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:49 pm 
Diamond Grade

Mark Pfeifer wrote:
has to watch for shot bridging in the shot tube if he runs anything bigger than 9s

Check the mouth ID of the shot tube for a lip. Sometimes during the chroming process the chrome slags down the inside of the tube making a lip at the mouth.
Polish the ID of the shot tube with 0000 steel wool around a piece of drill rod, then coat the steel wool with Flitz or similar product and finish.

Steve