ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Totally new to reloading: 12 and 20 ga.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:48 pm 
Field Grade

Hi. I've searched the "new to reloading" posts in this forum and haven't found this, but please delete if I missed something.

Not new to guns, but new to shotguns. I recently bought a Mossberg 600 AT (their old house-branded version of the 500) 12 gauge for myself and a 20 gauge 870 for my wife, and I'm going to be joining a local trap club, so I may wind up with an O/U soon.

Given the volume of ammo I'll be going through, the unavailability of things like buckshot during COVID, and the possible ban on online ammo sales starting in 2021, it seems like cost and variety both weigh heavily in favor of reloading.

I know I'll want to play around with powders and such, and ultimately, I'll be basing certain component purchases on other components, but is there either an actual starter kit or a recommendation for all the stuff I need to buy to get something that just works for a couple of basic 12 and 20 loads (some kind of standard 7.5 target load and maybe a home defense buckshot load, maybe) to start off simply and easily (and fairly cheaply)? Sort of a:

[*]This press
[*]This powder
[*]These primers
[*]etc...

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Totally new to reloading: 12 and 20 ga.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:42 pm 
Limited Edition

Welcome to SGW!
I suggest reading the sticky at the top of the reloading forum (New Reloaders make it easy on yourself) take your time and don't be in a rush to buy anything until you read it through. Keep in mind some components are already becoming scarce so decide the type of shells you will load most of and start with those components.
Do not buy the cheapest press even starting out, you will only have to replace it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:56 pm 
Limited Edition

For basic trap there's really nothing wrong with the cheapo shells from Walmart or similar. Usually those run about $22/100 shells. Cost of components for 12 and 20 runs about 4.50 per box of 25 for 12g and about 4.10 for 20g, so there isn't a huge savings.

Startup costs will be considerable - realistically most people end up with a dedicated loader for each gauge. A MEC Jr. is perfectly functional, but will run about $100 on ebay (potentially needing a little work) or about $250 new. It's going to take a lot of boxes of ammo at saving a buck a box to get that back.

And as was mentioned, components are starting to get scarce in advance of the election. So it's kind of a tough time to get started.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:08 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks! Any problem with saving and reusing the hulls on those range shells? I bought a ton of Winchester white-box Single-A Target loads.

Win50 wrote:
For basic trap there's really nothing wrong with the cheapo shells from Walmart or similar. Usually those run about $22/100 shells. Cost of components for 12 and 20 runs about 4.50 per box of 25 for 12g and about 4.10 for 20g, so there isn't a huge savings.

Startup costs will be considerable - realistically most people end up with a dedicated loader for each gauge. A MEC Jr. is perfectly functional, but will run about $100 on ebay (potentially needing a little work) or about $250 new. It's going to take a lot of boxes of ammo at saving a buck a box to get that back.

And as was mentioned, components are starting to get scarce in advance of the election. So it's kind of a tough time to get started.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:27 pm 
Presentation Grade

Winchester Super Target and Universal are not considered reloadable hulls.
Remington Gun Club hulls are the only cheap hull that's really good to load.
Premium hulls - Remington STS, Nitro27 and Winchester AA are the most desirable hulls for reloading multiple times.
Reloading is a kind of addiction.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:28 pm 
Field Grade

Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

Take some time to read all, or at least the 2nd reply, to this post

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 2a3793fda1

from a couple days ago. Great general info available there.

Also, great instructional info about reloading shotshells will be found in the Lyman Shotshell Reloading Manual, available just about anywhere good shotgun loading components are sold (including Amazon).

First off - BUY you some heavy pheasant or duck loads with steel shot. Gearing up to load buckshot is hard right now, and you won't get a load you can TRUST YOUR FAMILY'S LIFE TO until you work at it for a month or so of loading and range time. There's not a lot of good data for buckshot loading. Even the buckshot loads in the Lyman manual are very spotty in high-quality performance! The loads have to be tested, assuming you can even get all the components you would need. Heavy fowl loads with #2 or #4 shot will take out just about any possible threat that buckshot would, especially within 25 yards.

Now, for a good performing 12 gauge buckshot load (12 pellets of #1 buck in a 2 3/4" Federal hull), try this article from castboolits forum:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... PERFECTION
I have not tried that load, but the forum has lots of good things to say about it.

Good luck, garrisonjoe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:16 am 
Crown Grade

read books first.
find load that you want to make.
buy / aquire the exact components.
make shells
repeat.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:45 am 
Presentation Grade

cookoff013 wrote:
read books first.
find load that you want to make.
buy / aquire the exact components.
make shells
repeat.

^^^^^^ It's just that simple ! maybe