ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Difference in AA HS 28ga hulls ?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:31 am 
Crown Grade

Curly N wrote:
painter* wrote:
I understand that it's not the inside, but the rotation of the pre-crimp die to pick up whatever fold lines are present. I figured I'd try some dry graphite on the shaft of the die so perhaps it would spin more freely.

Coincidentally, my 12 gauge PW 800+ will dog ear the occasional hull,as well. They never come out of it once it happens.

I cull them out as I shoot them.

Silicone spray might work better and cleaner.

Thanks for the tip.

I never think of silicone spray because as a painter silicone is your nemesis.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:02 am 
Crown Grade

casonet wrote:
Those crimps are my main beef with the HS hull. The crimps are ugly but they don’t seem to cause any problems. I call those on the right “inverted folds”. The HS hull will last a number of reloads. Eventually they crack open down the side. I’ve even had it happen after one reload. By comparison the HS is made of tougher plastic than the old compression formed (CF) hull and will give more reloads. But, the CF hull takes the prize for beautiful crimps, and I’ve never had a CF hull split open down the side. I have a large supply of CF hulls, so that’s what I load. Aside from the variation in length, the HS hull reloads quite well, several times: more than the CF hull. However, the CF hull is my favorite to reload even through you get fewer reloads before they’re spent out. If you can lay your hands on some CF hulls, you might just like them better than the HS hull.

If I ever get the opportunity, I'll certainly try the CF hulls, but I've never seen any for sale, and I have a decent supply of HS hulls.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:03 am 
Crown Grade

Curly N wrote:
DEG wrote:
Curly N wrote:
I know this because I gauge every WWAAHS-28 hull that I collect. My sort point is 2 5/8, anything over that, I call a long.

I know a lot of people who load many 28 gauge AAHS and none of them take the time to measure their hulls. There is no benefit to spending the time doing this.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, no matter how wrong it might be.

Yes, and you are entitled to measure and sort your 28 gauge hulls no matter how silly it is.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:35 am 
Limited Edition

I would not have a problem loading any of the HS hulls but i do sort them by length and when i get enough of a certain length i make the proper adjustments and load them.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:18 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I will gladly buy or pay shipping on short AA's. When they originally changed, a lot of my fellow shooters gave up on them and threw them in the trash. I did a lot of scouring and dumpster diving. I am still using them today, but I'm below 1k now, so please don't throw them away, I love them.
PM or email [email protected]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:57 am 

Chip-3 wrote:
I will gladly buy or pay shipping on short AA's. When they originally changed, a lot of my fellow shooters gave up on them and threw them in the trash. I did a lot of scouring and dumpster diving. I am still using them today, but I'm below 1k now, so please don't throw them away, I love them.
PM or email [email protected]

I also have many thousands of them. I traded long ones to guys that had the short hulls to make it easier for them. I also had my press set up for the short ones so it made no difference to me.
Want a mess? Try to load STS or Nitro 28's on a press that has been running the short AAHS 28s very well! That's a train wreck right there.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:51 am 
Crown Grade

I used a different shot bushing on the shorties. It threw about 1/2 way between 3/4 oz and 7/8 oz. It was just enough to where I could get a decent crimp. I kept them separate and used them for practice.

One of Many

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:24 pm 
Presentation Grade

Painter, Curly is right about the pre-crimp not properly rotating in lining up with the crimp folds. I load 28’s on a 375-C too. If You have the pre- crimp with the wire loops on the end, You just need to slow down a little bit during the pre-crimp stroke. Make sure the wire loops are lined up with the crimp folds. The bad crimps tend to happen with newer hulls that don’t have very defined crimp lines. Also, if You do not have the hull expanding mandrel on Your de-prime punch. I highly recommend getting one from PW. Hope this helps.