ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What's going on here - MEC 7/8 bars
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:25 pm 
Limited Edition

I recently bought an old 600jr to load 20g on. The basic load is 7/8 of #9, 15 grains of Universal Clays, Win209, and a CB1078-20 wad in a Remington hull.

The loader came with an older MEC bar marked 20ga.2A with a little piece of index card wrapped in the powder hole. The bar was a little heavy on the shot but as it happened the powder hole with the bit of index card was very close and consistent on the powder. I picked up a modern bar and an appropriate bushing (#20). Now the shot drops are right on, but the powder is all over the place - anywhere from 14.5 to almost 17.

Just to check I put the old bar back in (same powder in the bottle) and kept getting 15 grains, plus or minus 0.2.

This isn't a UCB where the chamber size is changing. Could there be a static issue with the bushing?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: What's going on here - MEC 7/8 bars
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:01 pm 
Crown Grade

A UCB is an adjustable powder and shot bar, but I don't understand how that got into the discussion. You started out talking about really old bars, and one with a card in it. Then you went to a newer bar with a bushing, and then ask about a UCB [ not sure why ]. Usually variations in drops with any charge bar are because you're not doing the same thing every time. That bushing isn't changing size and I personally don't think it's because of static. Good luck- sorry I couldn't have been more help.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:59 pm 
Diamond Grade

Win50 wrote:
. Could there be a static issue with the bushing?

Not just because of the bushing. The old bar, new bar and bushing are all made from the same material,aluminium.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:11 pm 
Limited Edition

Clean new charge bar and powder bushing well with acetone, rubbing alcohol, etc. Clean the powder drop pathway. You want no oil or grease on them. And remove any machining burrs.

Make sure you are getting a full stroke on the charge bar. The screw in center of bar, facing to you as you run machine, should fully travel in the slot (to one end, then to the other). If not, you are partially filling the powder bushing.

Run the machine consistently. Often after adding new parts or just learning a new machine, an operator will be jerky, trying to run low powder and shot levels in bottles, etc. Shotshell loaders need to be run with consistent cycles and consistent pressure on the powder and shot (hint, a powder baffle helps a lot).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:08 am 
Field Grade

I don't want to hijack this thread but can you elaborate on the powder baffle. Not familiar with it
Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:47 am 
Limited Edition

bladesmith wrote:
A UCB is an adjustable powder and shot bar, but I don't understand how that got into the discussion.

Just mentioned it in regard to the new bars having fixed chamber sizes. I have, and I suspect others have as well, dealt with UCBs drifting a bit through time.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:10 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

No static issue with any bar made for a MEC.

Universal meters well with or without a baffle.

Be sure there isn't something in the powder battle that is messing with the powder flowing freely into the bar/bushing.

Oh and...

UCB's don't ever 'drift', IF the final adjustment makes the chamber(s) smaller.

aka Mr. Tactful.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:32 am 
Crown Grade

Win50 wrote:
bladesmith wrote:
A UCB is an adjustable powder and shot bar, but I don't understand how that got into the discussion.

Just mentioned it in regard to the new bars having fixed chamber sizes. I have, and I suspect others have as well, dealt with UCBs drifting a bit through time.

UCB's don't "drift" if they are adjusted PROPERLY.

I use (IIRC) 4 of them, on 3 different gauges. 12, 10, 20, 3 single stages and a progressive.

The "drift" you refer to is Thread Slack being taken up when the UCB has been adjusted UPWARDS to the desired powder drop.
This leaves open thread "slack" in the adjustment to permit the cavity to open further, that the UCB will, in operation, close, and "drift" stops.

If the UCB is adjusted DOWNWARDS to the desired powder charge, all of the thread "slack" is on the side of the threads that lets the UCB "drift" SMALLER, which isn't going to happen when you are continually pouring a substance into that cavity.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:36 am 
Limited Edition

Quote:
I don't want to hijack this thread but can you elaborate on the powder baffle. Not familiar with it

If you feed a need for a powder bottle baffle, here's probably the better of the two that are available today - the DownRange red plastic unit:

https://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/3286

When loading Ramshot Competition powder on a Mec Grabber, I found it helped a lot with leakage when metering what should have been an easy, fine grained powder to work with.

Good luck, garrisonjoe

Bottle obstruction - Powder clumping from leaving some powders in the loading machine bottle - one particular one that I really saw variable weight light loads dropped after leaving powder in the bottle for a month was TiteGroup.

g

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:40 pm 
Diamond Grade

garrisonjoe wrote:
Quote:

If you feed a need for a powder bottle baffle, here's probably the better of the two that are available today - the DownRange red plastic unit:

https://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/3286

That has been out of production for about 3 years. Last I heard the tool was laying in the tool room waiting modifications so he could run it in a horizontal press. But, the modifications cost more then he could ever re-coup and going back to a vertical press the labor costs killed it.

Steve